“Tasty but typical indian”
Review of The Curry Pot - CLOSED

The Curry Pot
Cuisines: Indian
“Tasty but typical indian”
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

The buffet was good, fresh naan and some good korma. But the bathroom was dingy and there was a few holes in the walls.

Laramie, Wyoming
“Great Food, Great Service”
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Great restaurant- the atmosphere was great for couples and the food was good at a reasonable price.
We both had lamb curry with mild seasoning . The lamb was soft and good portions.

The service was fast and the replinished the rice often.

the spinach bread was tasty but a bit oily .

Definitely we will return when we visit tallahassee

• Visited December 2013
Tallahassee, Florida
“Indian Food for Wussy Palates”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Like presumably most folks who enjoy Indian food, I'm looking for some "bite" when I dine at an Indian restaurant. The Curry Pot's lunch buffet fails that standard.

The first red flag I encountered upon entering at 11:45 on a Friday was that there were only two tables occupied. At another Indian buffet I frequent, arriving at 11:45 on a Friday will get you one of the last tables left. When I left at 12;30, only an additional four tables had customers.

I also noticed that what few guests there included only one Indian. At the other Indian restaurant I frequent, typically one third of guests are Indian and there are two other nearby Indian restaurants, one of which is maybe two hundred yards away. The Curry Pot has no nearby Indian competition and is maybe half a mile from a large office complex with hundreds of folks.

While I look for quality, I did note that the number of entrees on their lunch buffet is smaller than the Indian restaurant I frequent. There were three meat dishes: Tandoori Chicken, Chicken Tikka Masala, and some sort of beef. Beef! At an Indian restaurant... The Tandoori Chicken tasted as I expected it should but the other two were bland.

Besides the three meat dishes, there were four vegetable ones: Tofu, Makki Suag, Dal Makhani, Vegetable Korma. The Korma was tasty but the other three were bland. (I did not try the tofu.)

There was also Vegetable Pakora, which was acceptable. Two chutneys (mint and tamarind).
Basmati rice. Naan, which didn't have the kind of "mouth feel" I expected, almost as if they were serving packaged naan. It was thicker and chewier than any other naan I've had.

For dessert, there was mango custard and Kheer ( rice pudding with almonds and coconut). I wasn't impressed with either of these.

There was a single silver lining: pickled carrots which packed the bite I look for in Indian food. If the other dishes had a similar bite, there would have been second and other visits. But if you don't like "bite" in your food, this is the "Indian" restaurant for you.

Note: I'm giving a 2 star rating on "service" because with no more than four tables occupied and it being a buffet, they should have come by much quicker to pick up empty plates.

• Visited October 2013
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
“You must be kidding”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I've eaten Indian food many times. I had a FIL that was from India. I have some idea how Indian food is supposed to taste. This place was horrible. The Tikka Masala tasted like some kind of Chef Boyardee sauce, with chewy gristly chicken. The Naan, instead of being lightly crisp and puffy, was soggy and stodgy. To finalize the experience, even the glass of water tasted like it had been taken from the dirty dish sink. All in all, a worthless experience.

• Visited October 2013
“Good food, slow service”
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

The Indian food @ this restaurant is tasty but the service is slow. I was there with a large Group on a weeknight and we were practically the only ones in the restaurant. Nonetheless, the service was slow and people received their meals at different times. If the place had been busy, this might have been more understandable.

Visited September 2013