“ok for a stopover”

Red Roof Inn Tallahassee - University
Ranked #16 of 55 Hotels in Tallahassee
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We were in Tallahassee for 4 days of training. State legislature is in session so its crowded and we needed an inexpensive place to stay. I had ask for and received, refrigerator and coffee pot. So got an upgrade for just a couple bucks. The room was well laid out & had flat screen. nice desk and work area. The simulated wood floor was nice. The bath was SMALL with what must have been 25w bulb that made it seem dingy. I had trouble with the door lock-the dead bolt locked in the open position-made me very nervous. The desk was busy so I finally got myself and stayed in for the evening. I think someone replaced batteries in the card reader and it worked. The vending machines did not work, not a big deal unless your riding with others (I was) then your stuck. The back blding while nice and quiet, had some sketchy looking folks 'jus hanging' and driving through the lot?
all in all it was ok-the staff was friendly and answered questions about the area.

Room Tip: I would NOT STAY ON THE BACKSIDE OD HOTEL AGAIN. Ask doe 2nd floor if you don't like the patter...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank J P

Reviewed 16 April 2014

He always remembers your name and is always friendly. The rooms are Ok but clerince makes it work he's the man! I sometimes don't have a ash tray in my room but clerince will hook you up with one. The rooms are sometimes a little dirty but for the price you just can't beat great place with good people.

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank opeyp33
Reviewed 10 April 2014

My wife and I stayed one night at the Red Roof Inn in Tallahassee in April, 2014. I chose the hotel because of the overall good reviews on Trip Advisor and the very low price.

I assume Red Roof competes in the lower tier of motel chains. There's nothing wrong with that, though. This motel has a small office that was staffed by one person. The rooms are small and unsophisticated. No breakfast is offered. But for about $50, you're not paying for elegance.

I was surprised to see a laminate floor in our room -- no carpet. It's a fresh look and I can see how it could keep odor problems from spills and general use down. A bare floor can be a problem too, as it's easy to feel dirt on such a floor, but ours was very clean, as was the entire room and bath. Our room featured a king-size bed, a stuffed chair, a dresser and cabinet with a microwave, and a desk and office chair. The bathroom (tub and toilet) is small. A decent-sized composite vanity is outside the bathroom. The blue and red color scheme is not my favorite, but it all matched. We did not use the in-room coffee machine, dryer or iron. The TV is a large flat-screen with a good picture, although not in high-def.

We had two problems: a flickering fluorescent vanity light and wi-fi access. I was told at the desk no password was required for the wi-fi, but when I attempted to sign on I was met with a user ID and password screen. I had no urgent need for the wi-fi, and the vanity light was not terrible, so I didn't report either.

Overall, this is a very good value. If you're looking for a cheap place to sleep and don't need to be pampered, this is probably the best value in Tallahassee right now, which I can say with a fair amount of authority as I stay in Tallahassee several times a year.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Saxonole
Reviewed 9 April 2014

The hotel has been recently remodeled and is very nice. They now have flat screen TVs in each room as well. The staff is always very friendly and helpful and the price is affordable. Clarence is a great employee, who is always happy to assist. I would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Rooms on the end seem to be more quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Kim C
Reviewed 7 April 2014

In the last 12 months we have stayed in a Red Roof inn at least 8 times. We stay at Red Roof because if our daughter comes, she can bring her dog. Even though all the Red Roof's we have stayed in are not 4 Star hotels, they at least have hair dryers and ironing boards. The one in Tallahassee only had a few that you could "borrow" from the front desk and of course they were out. The lighting in the room was horrific but nothing compared to the lighting outside. We were on the back side of the hotel with little to no lighting. The neighbors were outside their room smoking and the ice machine did not work! We love the Gainesville Red Roof but will never stay at the Tallahassee one again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Stephanie P
Reviewed 29 March 2014

The hotel was VERY outdated and unclean. Non Smoking room had a cigarette butt on the headrest. Smells very old and not much lighting in the room. If the value of the hotel was $10 or $15/night the price would be appropriate. Driving up in itself gives a depressing feeling. The front desk person had a super nasty attitude. For $5 more we got a hotel down the street that was 100% nicer.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank ROBWILLANTH
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed here to visit our Son at FSU, and the rooms are super clean, and the beds are comfortable. It's in a great location up on a hill, and there is a Cracker Barrel restaurant right behind the hotel! The staff are super friendly, and helpful. The only downside is there is no pool, and no free breakfast, and only certain rooms have coffee makers in them. Also, there was no free wi-fi when we arrived, yet it was advertised on their website. The manager said they were renovating, and that wi-fi would be available soon, so call first to see if the wi-fi is available yet if you want to have it in your room.
Overall, a good place to stay, and the rooms are alot cleaner than most hotels we have been in.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family