“Understated Excellence”

Sweet Pea Cafe
Ranked #35 of 831 Restaurants in Tallahassee
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: Sweet Pea Cafe is a locally owned and operated vegan restaurant in Tallahassee, Florida. Casual counter service farm to table cafe.
Reviewed 1 April 2014

This humble little restaurant consistently serves excellent vegan fare that canivores and herbivores will find satisfying. Sunday brunch is particularly good and the staff are very courteous and attentive.

2  Thank FloridaNative56

Reviewed 7 January 2014

I was in Tallahassee for a couple days. I found two AMAZING vegan restaurants using my Happy Cow app – Sweet Pea being one of them.

Sweet Pea is fantastic. It has a really cool, cheerful vibe to it. All the workers are young and friendly and welcoming. The inside (there is indoor and outdoor seating) has a charm about it that is irresistible. Inside, they have these small mosaic tables that are really beautiful, as well as a counter by a big glass window where you can sit; it is sunny and bright in there. The menu is on a blackboard above the counter where you order; there’s a regular menu and specials of the day. You place your order, then they bring you your food.

I had the Bob Marley and the Kalers special (appropriate since they were playing Reggae music). It was a hard call for me because I always enjoy a Reuben, which they also had on the menu. But, I couldn’t pass up the special. The Bob Marley was scrambled tofu (YUM), potato hash browns (excellent), and kale (delicious, although I thought it was collard greens not kale). EVERYTHING was just so good. Oh, and, it came with some delicious cornbread.

The special was only $8 and was a lot of food. I really enjoyed it. The kids who work there keep coming out and asking how you are enjoying your meal – again, they are very friendly. I didn’t see anything on the menu that cost more than $7 or $8 – really, really good prices, especially considering the amount of food you get. You definitely don’t come away hungry!

I like that this restaurant is locally owned and operated. I think that is important for your community and I always try to support businesses such as this.

Sweet Pea is just a few minutes from downtown Tallahassee on what seems like a main road. The exterior is basic – nothing fancy, no frills - but don’t let that scare you away. The inside and outside eating areas are both very clean and nice. There is plenty of parking on the side.
When I return to Tallahassee, I am going to be torn between my two new favorite vegan restaurants, but, for sure, I will find time to make it back to Sweat Pea!

Reviewed 1 January 2014

So we have been to sweet pea about three times. We always get something different and we are always happy with the food flavor, quality and the fact it's vegan. My husband has gotten the quesedilla and I got the black bean burger as well as the vegan reuben. The reuben was better than the burger and the fries are super good as well. My only complaint is although the restaurant is not dirty it appears dirty or dingy and I think people might be put off by the appearance. The food is really good and the desserts are exceptional for being vegan. I was disappointed they did not have any desserts on the day we were there because the desserts are so fantastic for being vegan.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

Sweet pea is the only restaurant I go to when I eat out. Everything is local, often organic and always Delicious! The owner is very creative and everything on the menu is so good! I have never been dissatisfied with my meal. My favorite thing about sweet pea is the amazing vegan baked goodies they have every week. Cookies, brownies, muffins, cupcakes, all so delicious I often get one of each! It's a true treat coming here and I cannot recommend it enough! The employees are also very friendly and the cafe is clean, bright, and full of delightful artwork and knick knacks.

Hands down best restaurant in Tallahassee!!

Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

Count on this place to consistently deliver creative and largely locally sourced yummy food. The poutine and Reuben are my favorites!