“Unfortunately, Prices Up - Quality Down”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Old Town Cafe - CLOSED

Old Town Cafe
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Tallahassee, Florida
“Unfortunately, Prices Up - Quality Down”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

A previous reviewer, also a local resident, asked, "What the heck happened here?" I share her curiosity. I've been coming here at least 6 times a year for over 20 years, and was very disappointed on this last visit. As previous reviewers have pointed out, Old Town Cafe has been a mainstay in northeast Tallahassee... nothing fancy, but a dependable place for a decent meal at a decent price. They can accommodate large groups for lunch in the several dining areas and we have had numerous birthday and office retirement luncheons here. Evenings draw families and older couples. The menu hasn't changed much since my last visit, but prices have risen substantially in the past year. They feature a daily "blue plate special" and tonight it was a baked chicken dinner with green beans and home fries for $10.50. Service was sporadic, with lengthy waits between beverage, salad, and entree. A couple at the next table finished eating and left before our order was taken. This was puzzling because there appeared to be plenty of wait staff, supported by a diligent group of bus boys. My companion ordered the Walnut Chicken Salad, which has always been one of my favorites and it was, as usual, very good. I wish I had followed her lead. My chicken dinner consisted of two thighs, green beans straight from the can, and some tired potato chunks with soggy onion and green pepper strips. The potatoes were a long way from "home fries", at least those with which I am familiar. I think they had been roasted much earlier in the day. The chicken was highly seasoned with pepper. No rolls or bread were offered and the server did not offer to refresh beverages until we had finished dinner. On my way out, thinking I might have been served the last of the Monday night special, I checked out the "baked chicken dinners" ordered by couples on either side of our booth, and their plates contained breasts and legs. They had also been wise enough to substitute mashed potatoes for the "home fries". The cashier asked "was everything OK?", and I replied that it was the most disappointing meal I had had there. She said she was sorry and wished me a pleasant evening. No questions about what was unsatisfactory and no attempt to inform the owner or manager.
As reflected in many of the reviews on Trip Advisor, Old Town Cafe has enjoyed a reputation of providing good service and good food at a reasonable cost. Menu prices have gone up, which can be tolerated when the service and quality remain high. Perhaps my experience was atypical. I hope so.

• Visited April 2013

Tallahassee, Fl.
“... what the heck happened here?...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

.. since we moved to Tallahassee, 6 years ago we have been eating at Old Town about 3 times a month, lunch and dinner. I like the 'old diner/cafe' feeling and everyone is very friendly. Some of the booth seats are very 'rump sprung' and need replacing. I find the service is not as attentive as it used to be, and the last meal I ate there was a bowl of chilli ( I could tell it was canned!) and my hot dog was overcooked and shriveled!.. their onion soup, on the other hand , is to die for! My husband loves their grouper sandwich. We have often had to get up and get our own silverware after asking several times. The wait staff need a good refersher course! Judi Dunn

• Visited April 2013
Tallahassee
“Good quality meals for a reasonable price.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

They cook food like your mother and grandmother cooked. The selections often include local seafood. Try the meatloaf.

Visited January 2013
Tallahassee, Florida
“Good Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

Old Town Cafe is a great lunch and dinner spot. Variety of items on menu make it a spot to go frequently. Food is fresah and very consistent! The owner is there overseeing that things rn smoothly!!
Great staff!

Visited October 2012
Pensacola, Florida
“Fresh seafood off the coast and great apple cobbler you do not want to miss!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2012

Once we entered the door, we found Old Town Cafe to be warm and inviting. The server was attentive and the owner, Marsha, was friendly and engaging. The menu was heavily into seafood, but had lots of choices for people who prefer steak and chicken.

Try the Ceasar salad as a side. The dressing is light and flavorful. The croutons are crisp yet melt in your mouth and the pita bread served with it is super! The cheese grits are creamy and flavorful. The shrimp was absolutely FRESH, "dusted" with seasoned flour and fried perfectly. The seasoned fries were "from a bag", but Marsha explained she personally loves them that way and they were done exactly right.

The apple cobbler for desert was truly mouth-watering--served warm with ice cream and fresh whipped cream!

There is a full service bar in the restaurant with additional private dining rooms. The price of the food is very reasonable.

• Visited October 2012