“Predictably good food”

Ranked #1 of 831 Restaurants in Tallahassee
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 7 May 2014

A friend and I went to dinner on a Monday night in early May. Boy , this place is busy. Most patrons looked like recent grads or law school buddies relieved at the end of the semester. Some had apparently their parents in tow--probably to pay. In any event, my dinner partner and I had great meals.

This place is a little noisy inside. And when you sit inside, you leave smelling like the kitchen. So if the weather is decent , be sure and eat OUTSIDE. Not the fanciest of surroundings. But the food is predictably above average.

My only complaint is that I wish they would use LESS SALT. I feel like I have been spooning salt when I leave this place. They are clearly in love with it and think it brings out flavors. Maybe but they use too much.

For appetizers, we had lamb patties of some sort. Probably average. Although my buddy liked them.
I ordered the flank steak and it came with onion rings and mashed potatoes. They might splurge and put a few green vegetables somewhere. Still, all three were excellent.

My dinner buddy ordered sword fish and enjoyed his meal.

All in all, if you want a predictably good meal in a fun and festive (and loud on the inside) environment, you probably cannot go wrong with Kool Beanz. It is a little expensive for what you get. But then again, at least it is predictably good. And they change the menu regularly.

1  Thank maninthemoon850

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I travel all over the Southeast and easily one of the best meals I have ever had in the Tallahassee area. If you enjoy Farm to Fork style eateries, this is the place you don't want to miss. Menu changes daily, so new printed menu's are shared on a clipboard.

Kool Beanz was so good, I ate dinner on Monday night and brought a business partner for lunch on Tuesday. Enjoyed both meals. The flavor combinations I could never imagine, but they create an excellent flavor profile and having you digging into your meal and cleaning the plate.

Love the local artists that decorate the walls. No reservations, and go early to score a spot on the outdoor patio. (much quieter than the inside dining)

Parking is limited in their lot and very little street parking in the area.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

I visited this restaurant for the first time last year, and our group returned this year - when it was suggested, there was a unanimous acclamation that, yes, we should go there. That in itself is a review. This particular group consists of some who are serious epicures and those who are critical of everything (I am a much more pedestrian person, so neither of those things).

Some might rate the food in this restaurant as five-star, but the atmosphere is very casual and trendy. Wait staff in shorts or jeans and t-shirts, rough hewn tables painted and a kind of alternative look to the entire facility as far as art and decorations.

We walked in, no reservation (I don't know if they take them), and were immediately shown to a nice table. It took a moment for anyone to appear to wait on us though, as it turned out, our server was delivering two orders to adjacent tables. Therefore the rumbles of dissatisfaction began with a couple in our group. But in a moment, the server was there and our drinks soon on the table.

We were there for lunch so I can only speak to the lunch menu. The offerings are reasonably priced but not fast food and they are, like the atmosphere, eclectic. The mix of entree versus the accompanying side dishes is creative and even eccentric but when it arrives, it is just wonderful.

One gentleman remarked that the portions are not large but it was not a complaint; he was pointing out that you could eat everything without feeling stuffed. For my part, I actually had more than I could comfortably eat.

This is not a specific review of the entrees, but I can say that both this year and last, no one left the table less that completely happy with the meal, the service and the atmosphere.

This is an unusual place - eclectic as I said - in terms of appearance and service, but it is also unusual in that among an eclectic group of people, some of who are very particular about everything, no one left without saying that they'll be back the next time circumstances permit.

I'm one of them. I highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I absolutely LOVE Kool Beanz! One of my all-time favorites. The menu changes daily based on whatever the Chef determines to be the freshest & best when he goes to market. Never had a bad meal or experience here. Service is excellent....everyone is so friendly & knowledgable about their meal selections plus their wines. It's a small place and at times can get a little noisy but the incredible food makes up for that. Always recommend to new visitors in town and go myself at least once a month. Simply....A Must!

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Went there for lunch with some locals and Wow! The owner was wandering around... meeting people. He actually made a recommendation for lunch which was spot on! I will be back on my next visit!