“Does Tally have a Health Dept?”

Bamboo House Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #270 of 852 Restaurants in Tallahassee
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Don't waste your time here. Can't beleive this is the #1 rated Chinese in Tally. Very dirty, steam condensing on hot food bar cover and dripping into food. Hot bar had old dried food on the base of it. Had the look and feel of old China, without the farm animals in the kitchen. Poor quality and little selection. Love Chineses food so will try other "highly rated" places next trip back.

1  Thank TravelDan55

Reviewed 22 August 2011

Very poor buffet! Poor quality and few choices!The beef had a scary texture and the shrimp were mushy! Service was as bad as the food! The building is rundown and dirty! The staff was loud and obnoxious! Overall this was probably the worst chinese restaraunt I have ever seen and I will never waste my time or money here again!!!!!!!!!!!

1  Thank cecil65
Reviewed 4 August 2011

My family has been going here since they first opened(a LONG time ago). I always go for lunch and I love love love their buffet. It is fresh, home made chinese food...you can taste the difference. They always remember my grandfather and father and have their drinks at the table litterally before they sit down. Its an awesome family run place that is just plain made from scratch chinese food. LOVE IT!

1  Thank VHolly88
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I used to live in Tallahassee and ate regularly from the buffet at this restaurant. However, discovered there is much more to enjoy than that. When I visited recently, I was in a group of several friends and Lucy, the proprietor said she would "take care of us." She brought out enough entrees for each adult to have one, but of course we all shared. The food was spectacular, the most authentic Chinese I've tasted since returning from China last summer. There was a delicious rice and vegetable soup, amazing basil chicken, garlic shrimp, wonderful vegetables--it was all great. I noticed that we had eaten everything by the time dinner was over.
The restaurant is just a storefront on a side street. You might miss it if you aren't paying close attention. You might also have to drive around the block because of the one-way streets. Parking is in the rear and is quite limited. The inside is not very fancy: a basic dining room decorated with typical Chinese-restaurant paintings, paper lanterns, and calendars.
The food, however, is very special and well worth the trip.

1  Thank KingAndrew
Reviewed 1 July 2011

This is not your typical fry fest, dried out Chinese buffet. There are lots of seafood, fruit, and vegetable options and not all of it fried or greasy. Yes there are still fried things too if that is your choice. Also kid friendly. Fresh homemade soups, everything seasoned just right. This style of Chinese cooking will remind you of that in San Francisco. The atmosphere consisted of college students and a senior citizen group just back from Square Dancing. The building and tables are dated and worn. The owners are warm, friendly, helpful and chatty. The prices are very reasonable.
I have lived in Tallahassee many years and this is my first visit to Bamboo House maybe the outside is not very visually appealing or I've not heard friends recommending it. It will not be my last! Best Chinese food in town.

1  Thank time_traveler99