“Surprisingly Pleasant”

Ruby Tuesday Bar
Tallahassee, Florida
“Surprisingly Pleasant”
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Ruby Tuesday was not our first choice for the evening, especially for New Year's Eve, however everywhere else seemed to be packed and we were very hungry. My inner, pretentious foodie screamed to remind me of how against I am of chain restaurants and their pre-packaged food that are cooked off-site, distributed, and re-warmed for their customers. Visions of my college years came to mind where the food always ranked between bland and over-salted, I thought for sure that this was going to be just another eat-and-run experience, one to be filed away in the deep memory bank of my mind and forgotten. And yet here I am, on trip advisor, writing a review in favor of them.

I won't take you through our entire meal, as I can only speak from my perspective, however I will share an honest experience of the highs and lows of my meal. First, I cannot say enough about our waiter, David. What a huge sigh of relief to see the patience and professionalism given to us by this man. After having so many waiters at other restaurants with blank stares, mindlessly reciting information and specials with no clue as to what makes good service, I had begun to expect that the service industry had forgotten what "taking care of the customer" meant. Not our waiter. He checked on us routinely without being over-bearing, he was patient with my kids, he ensured that we had everything we needed for our meal, and when he was talking to us, I could tell that he was actually mentally present to meet our needs and requests. Only one small hiccup, easy to overlook considering that most of my family ordered food that could easily be eaten with the hands, but he did forget to give me silverware, which was easily remedied. Not a big deal considering his other shining qualities. If he's like this with all of his customers, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend anyone to sit in his section.

I ordered the sirloin with coconut shrimp for my meal this night, breaking my own rule (never order steak in an unfamiliar setting more or less than medium) and I went ahead and ordered it rare. The coconut shrimp were delicious, the steak was wonderfully tasty and not over-seasoned. It was the first time, in a long time, I have never had to ask for steak sauce of some sort because the meat by itself was actually good. I do wish that I had ordered it medium though, because the meat did have a few bits of inedible bits that probably would have broken down had I ordered it slightly more done. But I can't fault the restaurant for this as I was the one who ordered it, and I'm sure they would have been more than happy to cook it longer had I requested it, but I was so taken by the flavor of the meat that I just decided to keep going with it. The one and only downfall to my meal was my side of broccoli. It was the one thing that brought me back to why I try not to eat at chain restaurants because it was extremely over-salted. Such a shame too, because it was cooked *perfectly*, if only they had been a little more light handed on the salt.

The best part of the night, though, oddly enough, was our appetizer. We had gotten the shrimp fondue. I have had every known form of lobster/shrimp/seafood fondue in just about every setting imaginable-all epic failures. This, though, was not. Oh my [insert desired expletive here], it was amazing! My brain was screaming at me, "Have you lost your pretentious foodie mind!?" I answered, "I don't care! It tastes so good!" Because at the end of the day, it doesn't matter, it was delicious, and good food is good food regardless of where it comes from or how it's made. The shrimp flavor was infused throughout the delicious melted cheese and diced tomatoes and cream. Nothing was bland, nothing was too much, I was Goldilocks in the Three Bears' cottage and found it to be just right.

Thank you for that experience.

Visited December 2013