“Great Food BUT...Service Needs Work!”
Review of Black Bean Cuban Cuisine - CLOSED

Black Bean Cuban Cuisine
Cuisines: American, Cuban, Caribbean, Latin
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout
Havana, Florida
“Great Food BUT...Service Needs Work!”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Recently, a group of 12 of my co-workers and I went to Black Bean. A few of us had been here before. I had been a couple times. We all really liked their food. Since I am for the most part a vegetarian, I can find several choices here when I am not in the mood for a salad or a steamed veggie plate. I always find their black beans and fried yucca quite tasty and the island sauce is one yummy dipping sauce! However, this time the service left a lot to be desired. I could tell from the start that they were short-handed. So, to help them out I asked for a dozen menus. They only had 5 printed, but made copies which was really nice. They cleaned the tables outside when asked and were hopping to get our orders our in a reasonable time. However, they messed up on two of our orders, getting the wrong sides on mine and serving fried fish instead of chicken for another in our group...getting his order wrong TWICE! As we had several newbies in the group, I am not sure this was a great first impression. I will be back because I am addicted to cuban cuizine. But I am not sure about the others. I hope they get more staff to help out because I hate for any small business to fail. And I really like their food. My advice - double check the orders before serving. Consider adding wait staff vs. the current counter ordering with numbers, etc. It might work more smoothly. I will give it another shot, but not sure the others will be back.

• Visited November 2013

Tallahassee
“Hit and miss”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I have already reviewed this restaurant, but after giving it another chance it was delicious.

Went here with my brother and had the habanero pork and the bay of pigs. It was fresh and just great.

I have to say this place is hit and miss, though. Try to go when they are busy, because it seems they have the best food then.

• Visited November 2013
Tallahassee, Florida
“Hit and Miss”
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I have eaten here three times. The first time was wonderful, great staff, good prices, superb food, and good atmosphere. The second time was okay, food was very bland and the staff were less friendly. The third time was a nightmare. The food was almost tasteless and much smaller than both previous times, and the meal had gone up in price. The place had begun to feel dilapidated as the booth seats cracked and sagged, the walls were dirty, some decor had been removed, and there were several light bulbs in need of replacement. The staff were borderline rude and very inattentive. The whole aura of the place had gotten worse. I have not been back since, and I hope they get their act together as my first visit was one of my favorite restaurant visits in Tallahassee and I hope to eat there again in the future.

• Visited February 2013
Tallahassee, Florida
“Love!”
Reviewed 16 March 2013

I love going to Black Bean! The price is reasonable and the atmosphere is pleasant. I love the food, although I was disappointed that they removed Moros from the menu. The first time I ate Moros there, I went home and looked up the recipe. I found so much more! The name Moros is short for Moors and Christians and the story behind the food was educational! Made me love the rice even more.

Visited January 2013
Tallahassee
“Sad but true”
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I've been eating at the Black Bean for roughly two years. I've been there about 5 times and I can say that it was went down hill. The food quality has severely been lowered over the years. It used to be delicious, warm and fresh but now it's dry, tasteless and quite.... unappealing. I can say that it needs to get back to the way it used to be if they want my business. On a side note, they really need to renovate and upgrade furniture. It used to be a good rustic homey feel, now it just feels run down.

• Visited October 2012