“Good for Take-Out, Not so Much for Dining In”
Review of North China Gormet

Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Dining options: Buffet, Takeout
Dining options: Buffet, Takeout
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I stop by this restaurant pretty regularly to pick-up a take out order of stir fry vegetables with chicken or shrimp and have never been disappointed. I often get a serving of hot and sour soup and an egg roll as well. I have uniformly found the food to be a good value. This past week I stopped by and ordered the stir fry mixed vegetables with shrimp. I was amazed at the size of the shrimp. They were huge. They were as big or bigger than you would receive in some of the far more expensive restaurants in town. Now if you are looking for a dine-in experience. This is not the place. The ambiance is decidedly missing. Its a hole in the wall. When we want to dine out at a Chinese restaurant, we go to a different Chinese restaurant. I also can't say that I have ever tried their buffet that has been criticized by some previous reviewers. But I can comfortably recommend it for its take-out stir fry.

The restaurant did take a dip in quality a couple of years ago when the ownership changed, but it seems to have settled out now and is serving decent Chinese food. Don't expect gourmet.

Reviewed 29 April 2013 via mobile

While killing time until we could pick up something nearby, we stopped in for lunch. The buffet was probably the skimpiest buffet I've ever seen. I rationalized it that maybe things were fresher, only cooking small portions at a time. As I looked around I realized it was really just cheap. The restaurant was shabby and the kitchen looked dirty. The floors were dirty and the entire place looked like it needed a deep, deep cleaning! We will not go back. Given that we decided not to eat anything more then whatever value here was in the bidder price, for what we actually got there was not value in the meal.

Reviewed 21 November 2011

We used to consider this our favorite Chinese restaurant in our neighborhood. A few months ago, all the prior owners suddenly "went on vacation" (according to the new owners, who upon questioning admitted they had bought the restaurant.) In the space of a month, food quality went down the tubes. Soup is served likewarm at best. We have been served meals in which the veggies were still cold! The straw that broke the back was when they started charging to substitute for items the previous owners did for no charge. We have never been back, and don't miss it. Many years ago there was a "China Gourmet" in town that was superb. Too bad this joint didn't follow in its namesake's tradition.

2  Thank TallyCat51
Reviewed 10 June 2011

My wife and I tried this small buffet recently and were very pleased! The food was great although the selection at the buffet was limited! I will definetly be going back to try the takeout!!! The place is well kept and the staff is friendly! A very nice restaraunt

Reviewed 19 February 2011

this place is small but they cook there food right ...had a special request and they hit it on the nose.. they also have a lunch buffet for around 6 bucks every day of the week... going to try it tomorrow thank you for putting my faith in tally for having a great chinese takeout/eatin place!!!!!