“Noisy and Disappointing Staff”

Courtyard Tallahassee Capital
Ranked #20 of 54 Hotels in Tallahassee
Reviewed 17 March 2008

The Good Stuff: The Courtyard Marriott on Appalachee Parkway is in an excellent location for anything in Tallahassee -- from business to sightseeing to shopping. The common areas are very attractive.

The Bad: I travel frequently for business and not much shocks me, but Kristen (Kirsten?) --- the morning manager at the Courtyard -- made a bad situation worse.

The hotel has some noise issues. It's adjacent to a freight railroad and I just happened to be there on a bad night when trains rumbled by frequently all night and blew their (very loud) whistles repeatedly. The hotel's contractor also picks up garbage at approximately 1am. Seriously.

After a fairly sleepless night, between the trains and the garbage collection, I looked around and saw a fairly empty parking lot. The next morning I spoke with Kristen (Kirsten?) and asked her how full the hotel was. She said "about half."

I asked her why if the hotel was so empty was I given a room facing the railroad, and close enough to the dumpsters that the garbage trucks shook my window at 1am. She said "our guests frequently complain about the noise."

Recognizing a non-answer when I hear one, I said "are you telling me that rooms facing away from the trains, or facing into the courtyard itself are just as noisy?" She responded "guests complain in all our rooms."

I just had trouble believing that. But here's the choice: either they treated me badly by assigning me an awful room when the hotel was half empty. Or the entire hotel is just too noisy to stay in when there are other choices in Tallahassee -- and certainly at the $189/night rate I paid.

Take your pick -- but I'm unimpressed by the manager's response -- and I certainly won't be staying there again. And by the way -- I'm a Marriott Silver Elite -- and they still treated me this way.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank markmdb

Reviewed 14 January 2008

Nice hotel, typical courtyard. Close to shopping and restaurants. Only issue we had is were given ADA rooms which we didn't think too much about till we had a shower in the morning and had to limbo to get under the spray.

The hotel was far from busy and I asked at checkout why we were assigned ADA rooms and the clerk was far from helpful.

This is the first Courtyard I've been in where I was disappointed with the staff.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank WeeLuv2Travel2
Reviewed 25 July 2007

We toured FSU with our son and this hotel is less than 15 minutes away by car to the FSU Visitor Center. Hotel staff is very accomodating and easily gave us directions to where we needed to go at FSU. Computers are located in lobby and use is free. Room is large and clean. Breakfast in the morning can be purchased buffet style or you can get a smaller breakfast and is priced reasonably. Hotel can be a little tricky to find as it is located just off an access road so make sure you have good directions. If our son goes to FSU this will be the hotel we stay at.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank rkc7737
Reviewed 26 April 2007

We traveled with a friend and requested adjoining King rooms. Check-in was fast and friendly and the rooms were exactly as requested, in addition to including the amenities (extra towels, extra foam pillows, high floor) that are highlighted in my Marriott Rewards profile. Rooms were clean and comfortable, apparently recently refurbished. Refrigerators were delivered within minutes of our request. Housekeeping staff were cheerful and helpful. We were close to everything in Tallahassee, but the hotel was quiet and pleasant. The courtyard was nice and that heated outdoor pool was clean. We will definitely consider staying here again next time we go to Tallahassee.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank Southern_Daytripper
Reviewed 6 April 2007

I booked this hotel after reviewing this website.
We were a group of 25 people, all staying at the hotel.
Our meetings were also held there for 3 days.
The staff was Brilliant, thank you to Joseph and everyone else.
Breakfast was fine, we had caterers bring in Lunch everyday, The Hotel went above and beyond to help us with set up.
I would stay here again, but not on a Saturday night. I did not hear it, but I received complaints the following morning at 4.30am (our departure time). Complaints were made to the desk but the response was very slow, or did not happen at all.
We think that it was a wedding party, actually more than one party. More staff on weekend nights would help.
Again thanks to everyone there.
B.

Stayed: March 2007
2  Thank Bree1
Reviewed 7 March 2007

Stayed here for 2 nights in February 2007. We found the room very nice, clean and in good shape and the restaurant that only serves breakfast had great food.

The big problem is they cater to sports teams visiting the local colleges so you feel like you are in a college dorm. The first night there were kids playing music, TV, running down the halls etc. until 10:30. We noticed there was a team leaving in a bus the next morning so thought that would take care of the problem, big mistake.

The 2nd night the party started at 5 pm. Turned out the team that left was not the one on our floor. As we left for dinner we went to the front desk and told them the problem we had the night before and they said they would take care of it. Arrived back at 8 pm and nothing had changed. Another visit to the front desk and still no change. A phone call at 10 pm and another one at midnight and finally they came to see what the problem was. At this point the coach got in a shouting match with the employees and kids so things didn't quiet down for a while. This could have been avoided with a reasonable response from the management.

Maybe you will luck out and not be there during a sporting event but we won't take a chance again.

• Stayed: February 2007
5  Thank mgreen2
Reviewed 4 December 2006

I would highly recommend this hotel for the business traveler. I had the standard/king size room. It was very roomy, with a nice desk for doing work in the evening. Very clean, comfortable room, with updated bedding. I visted Tallahassee for 3 different week long occasions. The first time I stayed at the Homewood Suites. The second time it was the Courtyard and based upon the comparison, came back to it. It was close to good restaurants, quick and easy to my daily business destination, and the staff was very friendly and helpful.
I will say that if I was not a business traveler on an expense account, but traveling with my 2 children, I probably would not choose this hotel. There is a very nice breakfast buffet, but it is not free. If you are wanting a light breakfast of just oatmeal, it is going to be the same $8 as if you went for the whole Continental Buffet. There is no on site restaurant or room service, though you can call a selection of nerarby businesses for delivery. (Though I believe the Government rate will include the breakfast. You may be able to find a deal offered by Marriott. )
Although there is free internet, it isn't wireless. However, there is a very nice business center available with printers attached to internet enabled computers. This allowed me to print documents when I was away from the office, and get my boarding passes for my departure.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled solo