“Ehhh. It's okay.”

Courtyard Tallahassee Capital
Ranked #21 of 55 Hotels in Tallahassee
Reviewed 24 March 2009

I stayed here while recruiting at FSU and it was okay. Nothing spectacular. The staff was your typical apathetic college student making minimum wage. The hotel has a terrible entrance. Unless you know the area, you will miss it. I lived in the area for 3 years and missed it completely.

The rooms are very roomy (you can probably fit several queen sized air mattresses in the living room area), but the decor is a bit dated. They don't have wireless internet access in the rooms, so you're tethered to the wall at the very tall desk (inconvenient if you're not over 6 feet tall.)

I did leave a very expensive facial cleanser in the room accidentally and when I called to see if housekeeping had found it, it took several days for a call back and unsurprisingly, they did not know what I was talking about.

The hotel doesn't allow pets.

I got a room facing the courtyard, but I couldn't enjoy it because all of my neighbors were smoking outside and it was rather unpleasant.

I would stay at this hotel again, but only because I don't have to pay for it and I get 10 points for every dollar spent at the Marriott. However, if I'm looking for a vacation spot, I wouldn't recommend this hotel.

If you're looking for a hotel for business purposes, this works fine, but not if you're paying for it out of your own pocket. It's a bit pricey for what it is.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank MrsTravelQueen

Reviewed 3 October 2008

Typically Marriott, but excellent value for money. Nothing fancy but with Marriott you know what your getting when you pay for it and its generally pretty good.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 August 2008

I booked through the website and Priceline.

88 dollars pre-paid through website/50 dollars per night through priceline.

Excellent service, especially from night shift desk staff. The young lady that wore her hair back in a curly ponytail was FABULOUS. She was very friendly and personable. She stood out from the other employees from Aug 16-19. I like the touch of the refrigerated products by the fron desk. I utilized the computers in the business area. My only complaint about the business area is that it is FREEZING and because there are only two computers(both free access) there is a wait at times.

Nice pool and whirlpool. I didn't work out but the weight room had more equipment that I have seen in many hotels.

The room: Beautifully decorated. Nice patio outside the rooms. Thermostat a little confusing. Dial up computer connection did not work in the room and cord in 224 was broken. It was amazing to me that the hotel rooms weren't wireless. Across the street was wireless. The budget hotel (Econolodge) was wireless down the street.

I would recommend it if you are not needing a great deal of computer use.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Exhaling
Reviewed 27 May 2008

After reading the other reviews, I had to check my reservations to see if the travelers stayed at the same hotel I did.

I loved the hotel - well - most of it. The pool was cute, they had grills outside, the staff was friendly, and they upgraded me for free (we are gold members).

The bad, however, was the air conditioning units were VERY loud. I asked about it the next day at the front desk and they said admitted they are loud, and in the summer, they have swooshing noises. I told her I heard those swooshing noises!

Therefore, my advice would be, if you can handle the a/c noise, I would recommend this hotel. It's close to FSU and the capital. The mall is about a mile the other direction. You can practically walk everywhere! It's clean and the staff it courteous. Most of the rooms have balconies. Ask for an upgrade!

I have also stayed at the Country Inn and Suites and prefer that hotel. I think I will stay there from now on - gold member or not, because I can't sleep with air conditioner noises.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2008

The Good Stuff: The Courtyard Marriott on Appalachee Parkway is in an excellent location for anything in Tallahassee -- from business to sightseeing to shopping. The common areas are very attractive.

The Bad: I travel frequently for business and not much shocks me, but Kristen (Kirsten?) --- the morning manager at the Courtyard -- made a bad situation worse.

The hotel has some noise issues. It's adjacent to a freight railroad and I just happened to be there on a bad night when trains rumbled by frequently all night and blew their (very loud) whistles repeatedly. The hotel's contractor also picks up garbage at approximately 1am. Seriously.

After a fairly sleepless night, between the trains and the garbage collection, I looked around and saw a fairly empty parking lot. The next morning I spoke with Kristen (Kirsten?) and asked her how full the hotel was. She said "about half."

I asked her why if the hotel was so empty was I given a room facing the railroad, and close enough to the dumpsters that the garbage trucks shook my window at 1am. She said "our guests frequently complain about the noise."

Recognizing a non-answer when I hear one, I said "are you telling me that rooms facing away from the trains, or facing into the courtyard itself are just as noisy?" She responded "guests complain in all our rooms."

I just had trouble believing that. But here's the choice: either they treated me badly by assigning me an awful room when the hotel was half empty. Or the entire hotel is just too noisy to stay in when there are other choices in Tallahassee -- and certainly at the $189/night rate I paid.

Take your pick -- but I'm unimpressed by the manager's response -- and I certainly won't be staying there again. And by the way -- I'm a Marriott Silver Elite -- and they still treated me this way.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank markmdb
Reviewed 14 January 2008

Nice hotel, typical courtyard. Close to shopping and restaurants. Only issue we had is were given ADA rooms which we didn't think too much about till we had a shower in the morning and had to limbo to get under the spray.

The hotel was far from busy and I asked at checkout why we were assigned ADA rooms and the clerk was far from helpful.

This is the first Courtyard I've been in where I was disappointed with the staff.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank WeeLuv2Travel2
Reviewed 25 July 2007

We toured FSU with our son and this hotel is less than 15 minutes away by car to the FSU Visitor Center. Hotel staff is very accomodating and easily gave us directions to where we needed to go at FSU. Computers are located in lobby and use is free. Room is large and clean. Breakfast in the morning can be purchased buffet style or you can get a smaller breakfast and is priced reasonably. Hotel can be a little tricky to find as it is located just off an access road so make sure you have good directions. If our son goes to FSU this will be the hotel we stay at.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family