“Great location, but...”
Review of Governors Inn

Governors Inn
Ranked #29 of 55 Hotels in Tallahassee
Reviewed 17 March 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Governor's Inn because it was at the top of the list of accommodations for a wedding we were attending. There's a lot to like about the Inn, including free valet parking, pleasant and flexible staff, a great location downtown, a fabulous cocktail hour, and a well-appointed lobby.

Our guest room left a bit to be desired, though. We stayed in a standard king room that didn't have any natural light. Our window was coated in a black privacy film and looked out onto the relatively dark interior hallway. It was tough to tell whether it was AM or PM, which didn't help us with our jet lag.

The mattress on the bed was awful - overly soft and sagging in the middle. We felt like our feet were higher than our head and we kept rolling toward the middle. The corners of the bottom sheet kept coming off the mattress during the night. Because of this, neither of us slept well during our 3-night stay.

The bathroom was clean and servicable but plain - some fixtures had been updated but there was still some mismatched tile in the shower. The towels were soft and of good quality.

Note that there wasn't an iron or ironing board in the room - you have to get one from the front desk and the board is one of those tabletop types - not the easiest to use.

Because we were there for a wedding with a bunch of friends, we were able to visit some of the other rooms and they were not all created equal. Our friend's standard king (2 doors down) came with a coffee maker, ours did not, but we had nicer chairs. His mattress was equally soft and saggy, but another friend had a brand new, firm mattress. The take-home message is that if you're not happy with the room you're given, ask to change.

Stayed: March 2008

Reviewed 19 December 2007

Booking a decent hotel on an FSU footbal weekend is a tough ticket. I called in April for a room in October and was put on a waiting list. I figured I'd never hear from them again. But, surprisingly, I got a phone call sometime in July asking if I was still interested. I gave them a CC number and that was that. Location is tough to beat in Tallahassee. Right smack dab in the heart of Downtown Tallahassee. Cobblestone street about three blocks from the State Capital, Supreme Court and museum. Across the street are two great restaurants. One casual "sports bar" and another fine dining.

Service was great. People were friendly. Cocktail Hour and breakfast are always part of the deal. Hotel itself is 3 stories (with no elevator) but very charming, cozy and beautiful.

Room was pricey (230 a night) but it was a football weekend when if you don't book WAY WAY out in advance, you'll find yourself paying 140 for the Red Roof Inn.

I would recommend it for a splurge. Romantic Getaway, Football weekend or something special. Just passing through? Dont bother. Stay out near the interstate and save your money.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 September 2007

I can not recommend a better hotel or Inn in Tallahassee! Whe like to stay in the loft suites, but all other rooms have been comfortable. Breakfast and social hour are always well appointed and I find the young, college-age staff to be full of energy and helpful! I always feel sorry for the young man who lands up carrying my luggage up the stairs :) Very convenient to all. If you have a child at FAMU or FSU, this is a great location and wonderful little inn. Many restaurants within walking distance and fast valet parking also big A++++

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 November 2006

Fantastic hotel for Tallahassee. We stayed in a junior suite, and the high ceilings, view out onto the street, and "homey" furnishings made for a nice stay. The bed wasn't the most comfortable (we had the king junior suite) but it wasn't horrible either. It was just your average matress with average linens (comparable to a two-star hotel). The bathroom is clean, although nothing special. The rooms have access to wifi, although the junior suites are on the third floor in the east wing of the building, and I had a very hard time connecting. I previously stayed in the main building and had no problems.

The service is fantastic...all young and very helpful students that likely attend one of the universities nearby. The morning breakfast is a nice touch with fruit and some bread assortments. They advertise that they have room service, although there is no room service menu in the guestroom and when I asked about food late at night, I was directed to Tennessee street, so I'm not sure if their advertisements are wrong or if something was just odd during my visits.

I wouldn't go out of my way to stay at the gov inn, but when I'm in tally again on business or for a football weekend, I'll certainly try my best to stay here. I'm surprised that for the capital of Florida that there isn't a true 4-star hotel, but until one opens up, this is by far the best I've seen. The only other hotel downtown that I've stayed at is the doubletree, but that was pretty awful. I read that they were renovating, which I hope is true, so maybe it will get better. For now, pick the gov inn.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FLcs
Reviewed 8 March 2006

The Governor's Inn was completely renovated September 2005. I would highly recommend staying here. The pros to staying at this hotel:

1) Rooms are newly renovated and very nice.
2) Staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful.
3) Great price if you are staying during the weekend
and get their special weekend package.
4) EXTREMELY convenient to all downtown areas -
within walking distance of the Capitol, Old
Capitol building and other historic downtown
sites.
5) Free valet parking.
6) Nice continental breakfast every morning (pastries
with orange juice and coffee).
7) Between 5-6 pm cocktail hour.
8) Free newspapers everyday.

The only 'con' to this place is some rooms have windows that look out to a brick building and others look out to an inside hallway....this didn't bother us one bit since we were hardly in our room anyway...
All in all, this is a very nice place to stay if you want to stay in downtown Tallhassee and be convenient to all downtown sites....

• Stayed: March 2006
4  Thank Darlene300
A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta
Reviewed 16 March 2005

The Good: The Inn is perfectly sited in downtown Tallahassee. No other hotel even comes close to its central location which is within 100 yards of the capital and most of the good restaurants in the city. The rooms are clean and the bed linens are of good quality.
The Bad: The staff is composed primarily of poorly trained, 20 year old college students who act exactly as you would expect them to. When I asked for a late checkout (1:00 instead of 12:00) I got an exasperated look and was told that the hotel was full for the next night and they needed to clean the rooms. When I asked if they had enough maids to clean every room simultaneously, I just got a hostile stare. Hotel also has no high-speed, in-room internet access.
The Ugly: The rooms are appointed with old furniture that is functional but certainly not antique. Staying here is like staying in your great-aunt's guestroom--she redecorated once when she was 40 and has never felt the need to update her choices. Because the hotel is in an old downtown building with no height to it, the rooms either have no outside windows at all or tiny windows that look out on an alley.

• Stayed: January 2005, travelled on business
13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 3 November 2004

You can't find a bed like these if you had a magic wand. I was invited to Tallahassee as a guest of Governor Bush, and my kids and I had a wonderful time. The room was excellent and the service exceeded all my expectations. If I slept in a bed like this every night...in the morning I wouldn't be able to wake up on time for work. Heaven is the only word to describe their beds and early morning "free" breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2004