“Like Home Away From Home”
Review of Governors Inn

Governors Inn
Ranked #30 of 55 Hotels in Tallahassee
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I have stayed at the Governors Inn at least five times, and each time it has been a very pleasant experience. My son, who lives in Tallahassee, asked why I stay there, preferring some of the newer kids on the block- The Doubletree and ALoft. While I have stayed at both, I always come back to the Governors Inn, because it reminds me of staying in a friend's cozy home, rather than a sterile hotel. Having said that, I understand his reservations, because this is a real Tallahassee hotel, where you feel they know you and your comings and goings. One time my daughter and her cousin got locked out of the hotel when returning after 1 AM. So, on the plus side, it is a Southern style hotel, nicely decorated with high beams in the lobby area, free breakfast and happy hour from 5 to 6. I have always looked forward to my glass of wine and the last time I visited, after an 8 hour drive from Miami, I rushed upstairs to change, rushed down, only to be told Happy Hour was over. It was 6:05 pm. Obviously, the right thing to do would have been offer me a drink, but the answer from the front desk was "I'm sorry you missed it." Breakfast is good- coffee, fruit, cereals, breads and some delicious granola. CNN was on TV constantly in the lobby and when I asked the girl if the TV was always on that channel she replied "Yes m'aam. We just try to keep it on something neutral." Uh huh. The rooms are named after Florida's Governors and are furnished nicely. There is free internet, complimentary toothpaste and a coffee maker in the room. The location is great, especially if you have kids at FSU, as it is within walking distance of the campus, as well as other attractions like the Natural History and Science Museum. The capitol is right down the street, but if you want to stay during session or parents weekend, make your reservations way in advance. Valet parking is $10 a day. There are many restaurants within walking distance- Harry's, Andrews and there is a discount (20%) for Jasmine Cafe, a sushi/thai restaurant nearby. On the negative side, on my recent stay, the water pressure in the shower was not very strong, there is no gym, gift shop or room service, although they do have "snacks' for purchase in the lobby. Depending on where your room is located, it can be noisy. Stay away from the street and lobby, and there is no safe in your room. The staff is very friendly (except when you want a drink after happy hour), the valet guy was super nice. I paid $134 a night with my AAA discount, which I think is a good deal for a room in Tallahassee. So if you're looking for service with a smile and a hotel with down home charm, Governors Inn is for you. If you're a workout fanatic who craves privacy, this is not your bag baby.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the lobby.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Glee47

Reviewed 27 December 2012

My friend and I stayed at the Governor's Inn Hotel for two nights Dec.21-23 and we were both extremely happy with ALL aspects of this Hotel. We stayed in the Governor's Deluxe Room 300 with two very comfortable queen size beds at the very top of the hotel. There is no elevator but the walk up the stairs and to the back was not a hassle at all because stopping along the way to read some interesting history made the walk through the hotel more enjoyable.(Each room is named after a past Florida Governor with a brief history of them in a frame by each door.) The hotel as a whole and the room was so beautifully furnished and very very clean! The hotel only has valet parking at $10.00 per day, which I thought was a little on the pricey side, but is understandable considering there is limited parking in that area of downtown. **Here is a tip though: Parking on the streets on the weekends is free, so if you are staying at the hotel during the weekend and can find an empty parking spot, it will save you some money. The staff was so helpful and unbelievably friendly! The nighttime Manager Phil was so attentive to anything we needed and made us feel comfortable throughout our stay. The continental breakfast was a little sparse but I believe it had to do with the fact that they only put out what they think will get used, and the hotel was very limited on guests that weekend because of the Christmas Holiday. Overall, the experience was very memorable and enjoyable. I will definately stay here again and would not hesitate to recommend the Governor's in to anyone staying in the Tallahassee area.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 December 2012

I stayed there to visit my daughter graduating from FSU simply because of it's closeness to the Leon County Civic Center and was absolutely amazed. The staff was attentive and knowledgeable and friendly as can be. Anything you needed they provided or did their best to provide for you. The Governors Double is a beautiful large room with (slightly tall) comfortable beds on the third floor and a great size for a family! The hotel is within walking distance of so many restaurants and things to see (Florida Capitol, etc.) that I can't believe I've stayed anywhere other than the Governors Inn before now.

Room Tip: There is no elevator but the valets are amazing at helping you carry your bags to your room!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 December 2012

Please take the time to read this review. We stayed in room 104. The room was very small. The 4 poster bed is way too tall even for me at over 6 feet tall. My poor wife had to drag a stool over to the bed to climb in. The water pressure was almost nothing. The shower controls were very stiff, and yes I opened the valves all the way. The TV was smaller than TVs from budget motels. The TV was in a very awkward position to watch. There was no I-pod dock as stated in the ads. The free wi-fi is a joke too. was slower than my old dial up; used to be. There was a strange beeping noise coming from down the hall that the staff seemed to be oblivious to. The final straw was something on the sheets that looked like dried blood. We won a free nights stay there and did not even stay the night it was so bad. I will never recommend one of my out of town customers ever stay there.

• Stayed: December 2012
6  Thank klw0709
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Every time I am in Tallahassee, I have the pleasure of staying at The Governor;s Inn! I love the genuine, presonal welcome from the valet guys, to the front desk personnel to the owner of the hotel! The rooms are beautiful, beds are comfortbale and always clean! The happy hours and continental breakfasts are a nice plus. They have a boardroom if you need to have a business meeting, and the front desk staff always aims to please. This is a "can't miss" experience-I have stayed at many different hotels in Tallahassee, and I ALWAYS regretted it-I am here to stay!!!
Beth Azor

Room Tip: there are no elevators, so if that is a problem, request 1st floor -the lofts are great for families...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank beth a
Reviewed 1 October 2012

My husband and I were passing through Tallahassee and spent a night at the Governors Inn. Our room, 232, was absolutely delightful. The high ceilings, wide crown mouldings, and lovely furnishings all spelled comfort and luxury. While we did not find the bed completely comfortable, we were there for only one night and it was too pretty to move to another room. We had two TVs, wifi, and continental breakfast included. Valet parking was $10/day. Sadly, the valet forgot to give us our key fob and we had to detour back to pick it up when the desk clerk called. A more sincere apology from the valet would have helped, but we would still return to the hotel if we are in the area.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank quiltmaven
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Beautiful and charming hotel that offers luxury with great convenience. The staff is wonderfully attentive and it felt like home. The room was very clean and had old world charm. Great restaurants within walking distance along with close proximity to the capital for a stroll. Worth the drive into downtown and we will be going back. Hopefully soon!

Room Tip: I love the rooms with the patio access for sitting under the stars!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple