“This place is a dump”

Ranked #35 of 58 Hotels in Tallahassee
Syracuse, New York
“This place is a dump”
Reviewed 8 May 2010

I was returning from a road trip for work and I was looking for a place to stay for the night in Tallahassee. Based on the other Tripadisor recommendations, I chose to stay at the Howard Johnson Express Inn. I have never been impressed with Howard Johnson properties but I thought I'd give this one a try. I wish I'd gone with my instincts and gone somewhere else.

The hotel is located close to the interstate and several places to eat. I arrived a bit later, and parking is non-existent. The hotel clerk instructed me to park in the handicapped spaces at the front of the hotel since every single other space was gone. The lobby was very small and it also included the breakfast area.

I wouldn't classify this place as a hotel. It was more of a motel. The two buildings faced the parking lot, which was apparently the only place for people to congregate. There were several patrons sitting out in front of their rooms drinking beer and talking until the wee hours of the night. There was a pool area, although I did not venture over to use it.

I have no idea where they got the pictures of the rooms for the web site, but they didn't look like mine. The room was musty and dirty. When I turned off the A/C for a moment, the room started to smell moldy. I turned it back on and left it on for the remainder of the trip. The bathroom fixture were dirty to the point of having gunk crusted over them. The general lack of attention to cleaning details was obvious. The wireless internet connection was extremely slow.

If I ever go back to Tallahassee, I will not stay at this place again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank weary_traveller25
gm_hojoTLH, Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Tallahassee, responded to this review, 12 May 2010
Dear weary_traveller25,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I cannot apologize enough for the discomfort you experienced during your stay. I wish I would have known of your issues during your stay so I could have had the opportunity to fix all your concerns. Our staff members pride themselves in trying to make sure the stay of all our guests is comfortable and that our guest's leave happy. If you change your mind and decide to give us another try, please contact me directly. My staff and I would truly appreciate the opportunity, and we promise to try our hardest to make sure you leave happy!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Polish first
Wisconsin
Reviewed 5 May 2010

I was rather leery of staying in a HOJO, but after reading the reviews we decided to save some money as part of a nearly 3 week trip from WI to Hilton Head to Destin FL. We decided to stay in a few cheaper, well reviewed hotels along the way. The previous manager who had posted here is gone (his responses were one of the reasons I felt comfortable trusting it, but the new manager was very helpful. Everything you read is correct. It's clean, well-maintained and pleasant. Yes, parking was a little difficult, but we got there at 10:00 at night. Which comes to our problem.

We had a guaranteed reservation for a certain kind of room--made several months in advance. When we got there, it wasn't the right kind of room, none were available. We weren't too happy, the desk clerk said the manager the next day would have to deal with any adjustments. The room itself was fine and we were very pleased to see a freezer section in the larger micro/fridge. The hotel was full, we were concerned about noise, when we saw a number of people milling around that late, but it was not a problem at all. People were courteous.

When we checked out the next day, the manager very promptly made an adjustment to the bill. My husband thought it should have been greater. I disagreed. I was very satisfied with the room and we got a terrific price, even before the discount. As long as you know it's not a 4 star hotel, I think you'll be very happy.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Frozen_Tundra_Gal,
Thank you for your review. Our staff appreciates your kind words. We are extremely pleased you found the room you stayed in was clean and comfortable and that the microwave/refrigerator came in handy. We look forward in welcoming you on your next trip down away from the frozen tundra to sunny Florida, but this time we will guarantee that your room type is exactly what you need! Thank you again.
Panama City Beach, Florida
Reviewed 1 May 2010

This is the top of any 2 star list. The staff could not have been friendlier and were very accommodating to the needs of people staying for long periods of time.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Walker, Minnesota
Reviewed 27 March 2010

Hotel is 2 story "strip mall" style that I would bet was built in the 70's. Management has worked at keeping this older hotel clean and have tried to update the furnishings for the most part. Our room had newer refridgerator, microwave, flat screen tv, dresser and sink counter.

Negatives include a bathroom that requires some ballet moves when entering and exiting. There's virtually no extra room besides the toilet, shower/tub and space for the door to open.

Monroe Street is one of the main roads leading to the capitol buildings in Tallahassee - read "BUSY". If you are arriving on I-10 it's easy to find the hotel. Leaving is another thing. You can't make a left hand turn when leaving the hotel property to go back to I-10 because of the median on Monroe. You wouldn't be able to anyway because of the traffic levels most of the time. You have to go right, away from I-10 and then make a u-turn after waiting for a break in the traffic.

Remember though, the price is right and the staff really does appear to work hard at keeping the place as clean as possible. I noticed other reviews complaining of smoke smells. I didn't experience that problem at all.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Denton, Texas
Reviewed 20 March 2010

My partner and I stayed here during Spring break, on the way to Miami Beach. The girl at the front desk was courteous, and the room itself was nice, including the bed, bathroom amenities, TV, and free wireless internet. However, parking was very limited: We were unable to park anywhere remotely close to our room. Also, there was a crowd of young adults standing outside of their room or rooms across from ours, and they were occasionally noisy. Perhaps the negatives of our experience were mostly related to the time of year (Spring break), but they affected our experience nonetheless. I still would recommend this hotel to a friend, with some reservations.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Casey G
panama city
Reviewed 31 January 2010

I can't say enough about this hotel and it's. Whenever I travel to tallahassee I have and will stay at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
FL
Reviewed 29 January 2010

I read a few other reviews about the smell in some rooms, and I shouldn't have tried it. When I made the reservation, I wrote that I needed a non-smoking room for health reasons. We were traveling in a group, and the first room came back complaining that their room reeked of smoke. They were given another room. Then, when we went to our room the smell knocked you over at the door. So, I went back and the desk agent said, "I understand one room, but two..." I didn't appreciate her being rude especially since we went to lengths to tell them no smoking due to a health issue. She did switch us to a less smelly room, sort of an old smoke/musty combo, but by that time it was so late, I had to leave.
The next morning we saw some of the staff smoking in the doorway of an open room, going in and out with lit cigarettes! and the office also smelled like smoke. But if they can't figure out which rooms smell like smoke becuase they are all smokers, they need to send a non-smoker in to smell it before assigning the room. Or perhaps not smoke right by/in the rooms or in the office. All in all, it was an unpleasant experience, and if I weren't so tired I would have cancelled and went elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business