“Ok for a night or two but don't expect too much”

Howard Johnson Express Inn - Tallahassee
Ranked #33 of 58 Hotels in Tallahassee
Gurnee, Illinois
“Ok for a night or two but don't expect too much”
Reviewed 13 August 2010

I booked this hotel based on the good reviews it received on the internet and have to say my expectations were not met. The hotel is okay but not better than other chain motels (e.g. Motel 6, Super 8, etc.). My room was not as clean as I like them to be and the breakfast was not even average.

I only stayed there for a night on my way from Mobile, AL to St. Petersburg, FL and would recommend it to others for this purpose. If you want a nice hotel/motel to spend several days at, it shouldn't be difficult to find a better one.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Emilie80

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 30 June 2010

Nice clean rooms. A little rough on the outside, the buildings need a paint job. Friendly staff. Small pool. Cont. Breakfast sucked. Would stay again, but will plan to do breakfast elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2010
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 14 May 2010

This hotel is very reasonably priced and conveniently located near the highway, restaurants, and stores. It is an aging hotel, however the wonderful staff prides themselves on cleanliness and keeping the rooms up to date. If you have a large group of contractors, surveys, etc.. this is the hotel for you. Staff is so accommodating and sweet and will help in any way possible. If you are planning a long term stay in Tallahassee I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 8 May 2010

I was returning from a road trip for work and I was looking for a place to stay for the night in Tallahassee. Based on the other Tripadisor recommendations, I chose to stay at the Howard Johnson Express Inn. I have never been impressed with Howard Johnson properties but I thought I'd give this one a try. I wish I'd gone with my instincts and gone somewhere else.

The hotel is located close to the interstate and several places to eat. I arrived a bit later, and parking is non-existent. The hotel clerk instructed me to park in the handicapped spaces at the front of the hotel since every single other space was gone. The lobby was very small and it also included the breakfast area.

I wouldn't classify this place as a hotel. It was more of a motel. The two buildings faced the parking lot, which was apparently the only place for people to congregate. There were several patrons sitting out in front of their rooms drinking beer and talking until the wee hours of the night. There was a pool area, although I did not venture over to use it.

I have no idea where they got the pictures of the rooms for the web site, but they didn't look like mine. The room was musty and dirty. When I turned off the A/C for a moment, the room started to smell moldy. I turned it back on and left it on for the remainder of the trip. The bathroom fixture were dirty to the point of having gunk crusted over them. The general lack of attention to cleaning details was obvious. The wireless internet connection was extremely slow.

If I ever go back to Tallahassee, I will not stay at this place again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank weary_traveller25
gm_hojoTLH, Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Tallahassee, responded to this review, 12 May 2010
Dear weary_traveller25,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I cannot apologize enough for the discomfort you experienced during your stay. I wish I would have known of your issues during your stay so I could have had the opportunity to fix all your concerns. Our staff members pride themselves in trying to make sure the stay of all our guests is comfortable and that our guest's leave happy. If you change your mind and decide to give us another try, please contact me directly. My staff and I would truly appreciate the opportunity, and we promise to try our hardest to make sure you leave happy!
Wisconsin
Reviewed 5 May 2010

I was rather leery of staying in a HOJO, but after reading the reviews we decided to save some money as part of a nearly 3 week trip from WI to Hilton Head to Destin FL. We decided to stay in a few cheaper, well reviewed hotels along the way. The previous manager who had posted here is gone (his responses were one of the reasons I felt comfortable trusting it, but the new manager was very helpful. Everything you read is correct. It's clean, well-maintained and pleasant. Yes, parking was a little difficult, but we got there at 10:00 at night. Which comes to our problem.

We had a guaranteed reservation for a certain kind of room--made several months in advance. When we got there, it wasn't the right kind of room, none were available. We weren't too happy, the desk clerk said the manager the next day would have to deal with any adjustments. The room itself was fine and we were very pleased to see a freezer section in the larger micro/fridge. The hotel was full, we were concerned about noise, when we saw a number of people milling around that late, but it was not a problem at all. People were courteous.

When we checked out the next day, the manager very promptly made an adjustment to the bill. My husband thought it should have been greater. I disagreed. I was very satisfied with the room and we got a terrific price, even before the discount. As long as you know it's not a 4 star hotel, I think you'll be very happy.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Frozen_Tundra_Gal,
Thank you for your review. Our staff appreciates your kind words. We are extremely pleased you found the room you stayed in was clean and comfortable and that the microwave/refrigerator came in handy. We look forward in welcoming you on your next trip down away from the frozen tundra to sunny Florida, but this time we will guarantee that your room type is exactly what you need! Thank you again.
Panama City Beach, Florida
Reviewed 1 May 2010

This is the top of any 2 star list. The staff could not have been friendlier and were very accommodating to the needs of people staying for long periods of time.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Walker, Minnesota
Reviewed 27 March 2010

Hotel is 2 story "strip mall" style that I would bet was built in the 70's. Management has worked at keeping this older hotel clean and have tried to update the furnishings for the most part. Our room had newer refridgerator, microwave, flat screen tv, dresser and sink counter.

Negatives include a bathroom that requires some ballet moves when entering and exiting. There's virtually no extra room besides the toilet, shower/tub and space for the door to open.

Monroe Street is one of the main roads leading to the capitol buildings in Tallahassee - read "BUSY". If you are arriving on I-10 it's easy to find the hotel. Leaving is another thing. You can't make a left hand turn when leaving the hotel property to go back to I-10 because of the median on Monroe. You wouldn't be able to anyway because of the traffic levels most of the time. You have to go right, away from I-10 and then make a u-turn after waiting for a break in the traffic.

Remember though, the price is right and the staff really does appear to work hard at keeping the place as clean as possible. I noticed other reviews complaining of smoke smells. I didn't experience that problem at all.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple