“An Excellent Short Stay Facility”

Howard Johnson Express Inn - Tallahassee
Ranked #35 of 55 Hotels in Tallahassee
Reviewed 25 January 2011

I have stayed at this Hotel for over 20 years on my trips to south Florida.
The Management and Staff have always been most friendly and accommodating.
They have kept the facility updated and comfortable.
This is an excellent Hotel for a short stay.

P.S. Several good restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank jerryjbamat

Reviewed 15 January 2011

I stayed at this property for a single night while in Tallahassee. Its rather easy to find near I-10 on one of main streets into downtown Tallahassee. The benefit of this location: easy to reach, shops, restaurants, and everything else you can think of is close by.
Coming to the hotel after reading the reviews and having spent a night at a high-standard, low-price property the night before, I was expecting quite a lot, only to find myself disappointed. There is little doubt that this is a decent place to spend a night, but don't get your hopes up too much. The parking lot is very small, twisty, and during my stay was too small to accommodate all cars. The hotel has outdoor corridors, some of the guests seemed to enjoy spending the night in chairs outside their rooms drinking beer. Not that they were overly noisy or anything, but it did make for kind of a strange atmosphere, I don't know if they were staying for the night or actually living here.
I had made reservations on the internet - arriving at the hotel I was barely greeted by the front desk clerk. She was only asking for my papers, credit card and signature and then handed over my room key. No "enjoy your stay" or anything. The next morning I slept in and left the hotel after 11AM. When I reached the lobby it was completely empty, no front desk clerk. After a couple of minutes someone finally showed up and seemed disturbed by my presence. Again, no "how was you stay", they just took in the room keys. At the same time housekeeping was apparently waiting for me to check out so they could get home - when I returned from my checkout they already had half the room taken apart.
The rooms are very basic. While sufficiently clean, the carpets, beds, tables, lamps and everything is outdated and much used. The available amenities were good, ranging from coffee maker to refrigerator and microwave. I spent the night wondering how much of Florida's wildlife had already joined me in the room as there were tremendous gaps on all 4 sides of the door - is it that hard to find a matching doorframe and some insulation? Would have helped the room climate, too...
In summary my stay was not a bad experience, the price was fine for a basic place, but I would have expected more and I definitely did not like the staff. I probably would not return but rather spend a couple more dollars to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank aRTie81
Reviewed 3 January 2011

The rooms were the best that we have seen and CLEAN. Sam, the manager, is a hands on guy and the property and rooms show it. We wanted a room off the main street and he showed my wife 3 rooms and told her to pick one. He was also helpful in picking out places to eat. We will stay there again. Joe & Leslie

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2010

Older property but room clean, close to highways. Breakfast was basic, area was very limited.in size. Many resturants near by.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2010

I have to admit I didn't have high expectations when booking a room at a Howard Johnson Express, but it was a game weekend, and there weren't alot of different options that were reasonably priced. I made the reservation and hoped for the best. I got it! I knew going in upfront that I wasn't staying at a 5 star hotel, but I hoped for a clean, comfortable place to stay for 2 days. Well yes, it is clean. Yes, it is comfortable. The location was perfect for what I needed and the staff was exceptional. I stayed there in 2009 and had a good experience. When it was time for me to go back in October of 2010, I just hoped not too much had changed. It didn't. The staff could not be any more hospitable. The rooms, while not "fancy" are fine for what we needed. It came equiped with a nice little refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot, etc. Now, I know that may not seem like a big deal, but I've stayed at the Bellagio and they didn't have a coffee pot in the room! After checking in, we were getting settled in the room and the phone rang. It was the front desk, just checking to make sure everything was ok, and to let us know they were there 24 hours a day if we needed anything. Hmmm..they didn't do that at the Bellagio either. If you're looking for a clean hotel at a reasonable price, jump off of I-10 at exit 199 and see these folks. Southern hospitality at it's best.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 August 2010

I booked this hotel based on the good reviews it received on the internet and have to say my expectations were not met. The hotel is okay but not better than other chain motels (e.g. Motel 6, Super 8, etc.). My room was not as clean as I like them to be and the breakfast was not even average.

I only stayed there for a night on my way from Mobile, AL to St. Petersburg, FL and would recommend it to others for this purpose. If you want a nice hotel/motel to spend several days at, it shouldn't be difficult to find a better one.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Emilie80
Reviewed 30 June 2010

Nice clean rooms. A little rough on the outside, the buildings need a paint job. Friendly staff. Small pool. Cont. Breakfast sucked. Would stay again, but will plan to do breakfast elsewhere.