“Ok for a night in the city” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection

Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection
Ranked #10 of 58 Hotels in Tallahassee
St. George Island, Florida
“Ok for a night in the city”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

My husband and I spent one night at Hotel Duval. Overall, a pleasant experience. Outstanding staff...competent, knowledgeable, and helpful. Very comfortable beds and attractive updated decor. Air conditioner control pad didn't work so we had to unplug it to turn it down. Bathroom had no fan, but really cool sliding glass doors! Strange furniture...a 2row wine rack in your hotel room?
All very dark with shoulder level window. Fun rooftop bar!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
artbcpa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

My son and I came to Tallahassee for a weekend baseball series between The Univerisity of Miami and Florida State University. Although our team was soundly defeated by the hometown Seminoles, our experience at the Hotel Duval made for a wonderful weekend. Primarily staffed by studens looking to supplement their income, we were pleasantly delighted by how helpful the staff were, even to fans of their rival school. From the hotel shuttle driver to the front desk, everyone we met was ready and willing to offer recommendations of things to do, places to eat and they always were smiling. The rooms were super comfortable and the hotel house an excellent restaurant - Shula's 347. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank artbcpa
TALLAHASSEE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

I recently stayed at the Hotel Duval and I was treated like royalty. I was there for a weekend outing and it was great. The staff was first class, the room was to my surprise different than any room that I have ventured in the past. The room if I had to sum it up in one word was exciting. Level 8 was great and dinner at Shulas was even better. The staff there is very well trained in customer service and it reflects in every department. Steve Adams is not only a credit to this establishment but he is what I term the "Glue" he helps to keep it together. He treats people with the greatest respect that anyone could ask for or deserve. The staff makes you feel as if you are at home. I will return at the first opportunity. Great Job from top to bottom.

Room Tip: I stayed on the fourth floor noise free and wonderful.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DEON J
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

The Duval is a renovated older hotel that has been redone as a Schrager type "style" hotel. It's very modern and the decor reflects that. The lobby and public spaces are beautiful and have lovely artwork. The hotel staff are not very friendly- the young woman who checked me in seemed more interested in how she looked in her little black dress than my needs as a customer. She laughed at me when I dropped something rather than help me- I'm disabled. I wasn't happy about that. The uniform for the hotel staff is short tight black dresses for the women and they seem to hire people who are more concerned with their own appearance than with service. I was not impressed with this at all. At least the valets who took my car were nice. I schlepped my luggage up to my room (I was not asked if I needed help) and the room was tiny. I should have known that for a special price of $119.00 I wasn't going to get much but I was pretty surprised when I went into the handicapped accessible room and the bathroom was literally in the bedroom, a couple of steps away from the bed. You can see from the pictures. The modern style was rather cute but the furniture was getting worn and the window was tiny. The room was rather bare and depressing, frankly. So I went downstairs to dinner, which was much better.

There were sliding glass doors that shut the bathroom from the rest of the room and it looked better after I closed the doors. And it all looked better after a couple of mojitos at the bar, too.

The room was quiet, bed comfortable and I did like the touchscreen system they have in the rooms for ordering room service, wakeup calls, etc. That was nice. I would stay here again but only on a weekend or when there was another cheap deal on a room. Not worth a lot of money in my opinion. Also the breakfast service in the cafe downstairs also was pretty lousy. No waitresses to be seen anywhere. I had to ask how to get food at the coffee bar.

Room Tip: I had a high room, which is recommended. 7th floor is best. You are farthest away from the street...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TravelMavenFlorida
JamesPRoberts, Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Dear TravelMavenFlorida,

Thank you for taking the time to submit such a thorough review of your stay. I would like to thank you for noticing and appreciating the décor in the hotel.

The Autograph Collection is a bit edgy and more progressive than the traditional Marriott hotels you may be accustomed to, and one will notice that our uniforms, artwork and decor are consistent with that. However, the service that you encountered is not consistent with the service culture that we have instilled at Hotel Duval, and I will be sure to follow up on that with the proper personnel.

Again, my apologies that the service levels you experience did not exceed your expectations, or ours for that matter. I invite you to contact me directly at 850.224.6131 or jroberts@hotelduval.com if you would like to discuss your stay further, or feel free to contact me so I may personally facilitate your next stay at Hotel Duval.

Regards,

James P. Roberts
Hotel Manager
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

I traveled with my partner, we had meetings at the State Capitol. We like the convenient location and romantic environment. My BF travels a lot for business, we definitely will stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank FLgirl2012
Clinton, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

I had a wonderful stay. The room was very spacious and comfortable. The restaurant had delicious, juicy steaks. The rooftop bar was fabulous. It's a great place to unwind at the end of a long day. The staff were very helpful and polite.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank hawkinsphd
Palm Harbor, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

The hotel is very sharp, upscale and trendy. The first floor restaurant and the bar on the top floor are excellent. There is even a nice morning bistro. The valets are good and service was good. However, the rooms were going for a look and not functionality. Who designs a bathroom with two sliding glass walls. There is no privacy at all. Also, the shower has large river rock for its floor. It was cool to look at but not fun to stand on. Lastly, the bed is full size (not queen or king) so it was tight for us. It appears that they remodeled this hotel to provide nice pictures for the website but the room is not comfortable. Go for the restaurant and rooftop bar afterwards.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family