“Great staff, poor rooms, poor valet”

Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection
Ranked #9 of 58 Hotels in Tallahassee
Miami, Florida
“Great staff, poor rooms, poor valet”
Reviewed 21 May 2012

This place tries to be really up scale, but fails in many ways. Bathroom design is terrible and offers no privacy. Room felt clammy entire time. Nowhere to park your car, you are pretty much obligated to valet with them, and pay them to park your car there per night. This would not be a problem if they actually protected your car. Items were stolen from my car, and from what I understand, this was not the only instance during my weekend there. Also noticed some new scratches, but no way to prove they did it. You can clearly hear people in other rooms, even across the hall. Would I stay again? Not a chance, places with similar price actually offer a pool, and bathrooms with a door.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
JamesPRoberts, Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 31 May 2012
Dear Andy O,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. Your comments about our valet service are of great concern to me. The issue of stolen items from a car is not something I have encountered in my time at Hotel Duval, and I can assure you that your review is the first I have heard of this, and if this did happen more than once I am certain I would have heard about it.

I am sorry that the design elements did not suit your taste. What makes the Autograph Collection unique is the distinctive design elements which differ from property to property and most certainly are a departure from Marriott branded properties.

In short, I sincerely apologize that we failed to exceed your expectations. I would love the opportunity to once again earn your business and to that end welcome you to contact my office directly should your travels bring you to Tallahassee in the future.

Regards,

James P. Roberts
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 21 May 2012

The Hotel Duval has a great staff and was a great place to call home during my short stay. I almost felt I was at a boutique European hotel!

• Stayed May 2012
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2012

I had a Bussiness trip which required road travel from Orlando ending in Detroit staying at several hotels the Hotel Duval was something a bit special although the room rate was no more than some UK so so 3/4 star hotels. If you ever visit this area of Florida please check out what deals are available here. The evening meal in the adjoined restuarant was superb and breakfast is taken in the also adjoined Coffee House. The Roof bar is a must with vast views over Tallahassee. Excellent decor in the rooms very different flat screen tv, computer internet set up, real coffee machine.

Room Tip: All good comments from associates in my party staying at the hotel at the same time.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Paul L
Dothan, Alabama
Reviewed 14 May 2012

We were looking for a small getaway from our hectic routines and made the decision to go to Tallahassee for a concert. We contemplated on the Duval or the Aloft Hotel. I was not disappointed in our decision. The valets were pleasant and thanked us for visiting the hotel and proceeded to handle their responsibilities. The attendants were equally as pleasant and made the transition to our room smooth! The lobby was immaculate as was the room. Pleasantly surprised by the amount of available space in our room. Fabulous experience and will definitely return! Also try the 347 Shula Restaurant (make reservations) and the Level 8 lounge. Pictures of the hotel do not do it justice! Its Gorgeous!

Room Tip: No such thing as a "bad room" there. More $$$$ more plush amenities in the rooms
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Trion, Georgia
Reviewed 9 May 2012

This is a very unique hotel, which is a refreshing change from the norm. The staff was very courteous, especially the gentlemen that valeted our car. It was a working weekend for us and our stay was quiet and comfortable.
I recommend this hotel, they seem to strive to make your stay perfect and I appreciate that. We travel a good deal of the year and stay in about 30 different 3 to 5 star hotels. I will definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 4 May 2012

My husband and I decided to stay at this hotel as a, "night away". Being from Tallahassee, all we heard about was how Hotel Duval was the nicest hotel in Tallahassee. So we decided to give it a try as our night away from home....that was a HUGE mistake.

We first made the reservation through their website and booked the Sapphire Suite because it stated that it had an oversized tub. When we actually got to the hotel, the staff could not find our reservation, even though we had a confirmation number and everything. Finally the female desk staff asked the front desk manager for some help. While he was more helpful than the other lady, he was still not very friendly. In any case, finally get things sorted out and get up to the room. We look around the room and there is NO tub. Needless to say we call downstairs to ask about this error and the gentleman that helped us earlier was now irritated that we were wanting to switch room. To make things clear, we have stayed at nice and not nice hotels, and since we were expecting a nice hotel room with a tub, that is what we wanted.

We upgraded to the nicest room they have, the Diamond Suite. This room was stated to have an oversized spa tub, well, it was really just a regular tub. There was supposed to be two shower heads, there was only one. And the room itself was clearly not taken care of. There were dirty windows, dresser drawers that would not close all the way, a semi broken lamp, and the ICE was just terrible. There were a bunch of other things that I don't even want to get into on this review...

After our stay, I emailed to manager to alert him of our stay and what we experienced. The manager didn't even have to courtesy to respond back.

Do not stay here! They charged us "luxury hotel" prices, and our stay and room was anything but luxurious.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LFH418
JamesPRoberts, Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Dear LJF418,

Thank you for your review of your stay with us. It is always our goal to exceed the expectations of our guests, and from your review it appears that we fell short of our goal.

I appreciated how thorough you were as it helps me address each issue specifically to ensure that everything is taken care of in a timely manner.

I know that you and I have exchanged a couple of emails and that we are now on the same page. You have all of my contact information so if I can ever be of assistance in the future please do not hesitate to reach out.

Best,

James P. Roberts
Hotel Manager
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I have to say I was disappointed in our stay. We booked a room for our daughter's graduation from FSU. Being a platinum rewards member upon arrival we were offered a wine and cheese platter. One hour later it had not arrived at our room. Calling to check on it I was told it would be right up. Thirty minutes later it had not arrived, and we had to leave. Four hours later upon returning to our room it was still not there! When it did arrive the crackers were stale and they said they had run out of corkscrews to open the wine!
The rooms decor was very cute, but the bathroom only had a shower which the floor never completely dried, so I wore flipflops when I got in.
There is a small breakfast buffet downstairs, the food was tasty, but all of it was cold.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family