“Business retreat”

Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection
Ranked #9 of 58 Hotels in Tallahassee
“Business retreat”
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I booked Hotel Duval due to work in Tallahassee and not wanting to stay so close to the office. It appeared nice on the Marriott website, and was even more grand in person! Very beautiful decor, the bed was soft, sheets exceptional, blackout shade for the window, bathrobe, rainfall showerhead, and great ambiance. Only downfall was I was close to the rooftop bar, and in the evening I could still hear the music (I would ask for a lower room if this might bother you). Valet is $12 a day if that is an issue for you, but my business didn't mind. Overall, this was a retreat while I was away on business. Staff were friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Don't stay near the 8th floor if music until midnight could be a nuisance.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Panama City, Florida
Reviewed 14 August 2012

We traveled and stayed at the Duval for one night for we were in town for the Seminole Fan Day. I was alittle disappointed for the price of $149.00 and being a Marriott Rewards customer. We stayed in the Guest Premium room and when we entered the room it was musty from where they had turned the A/C up. The shower with the sliding glass doors was an added treat and the shower floor with the pumice stones was excellent even though it needed to be cleaned for it had accumulated a lot of soap residue. The sink was way too small though and could not put any toiletries on it or they drop into the toilet. The 8th floor was nice and the waiteresses were excellent. They also had a young lady come by and ask if we needed anything and offered us chocolates (great touch). I was not informed that there would be a Valet charge of $12.00 daily and was alittle surprised when I got the bill. The valets were nice and responsive. They should inform all guests when you check it that there is a daily valet charge. Overall an okay stay but really expected more for what you pay.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Noleone, General Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Dear Greg,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write and share your feedback. I am certain others will find it extremely helpful when choosing a hotel in Tallahassee. I am pleased that you enjoyed many aspects of your visit but disappointed that there were other areas that were less than satisfactory.

To clarify, Hotel Duval is not a Marriott branded property but rather a part of the Autograph Collection which is a collection of strikingly independent, unique, upscale hotels. As a Marriott rewards member we are pleased that you chose to stay with us. While I would love to afford all rewards members special rates, consistent with Marriott branded properties the rates afforded to all guests are the prevailing rates unless traveling on eCerts. The rates may have appeared a bit higher than normal because your stay was over a special event weekend; FSU summer graduation.

As for the appearance of the shower, I assure you it is not soap buildup but rather calcium deposit as a result of the local water source. The showers are cleaned daily and in addition we treat all of the water in the hotel with water softener to try and mitgate the scale. However, we still find ourselves having to use an aggressive agent on the shower floor once per month to alleviate scale.

And finally, I am sorry that the valet parking charge was cause for inconvenience. It is articulated on your reservation confirmation.

In an effort to once again earn your business, I welcome you to contact my office directly so that I can personally facilitate your reservations. Thank you again for your comments.

Best,

Marc B. Bauer
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 7 August 2012

The Good: Great location. Good restaurant. Cypress 2 blocks away.

The Bad: the Clientele

Some recent bad experiences at Marriotts prompted me to always call ahead. Even so, it didn't protect me from the TWO parties at the Marriott Hotel Duval in Tallahassee last week. And so even though they assured me there were NO parties that night (WHEN I CHECKED IN!!!) , there were in fact TWO loud obnoxious events - bringing da hood to the neighborhood - all night long on my floor, and so - I will advise my 50 consultants to avoid THAT disaster of a hotel like a plague.

Marriott: You are Turning me into a dedicated Hilton customer,

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
JamesPRoberts, Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 9 August 2012
Dear eustexas,

Thank you for submitting your review about your recent stay at Hotel Duval. I am truly sorry that we did not exceed your expectations.

I know that we had a couple of wedding groups staying with us this past weekend, but I am not entirely sure the exact date of your stay. My apologies if our guests were a little loud for your taste. Everyone is entitled to peaceful enjoyment, so I encourage you to contact my office directly so we may further discuss your stay. My direct line is 850.224.6131 and my email address is jroberts@hotelduval.com. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind regards,

James P. Roberts
Hotel Manager
Miami
Reviewed 4 August 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights while scoping Tallahassee for my son's move into a house there for school. The hotel is great. Customer service was wonderful; everyone was always as friendly as possible. Shula's 347 was great as well. I thought I would have a problem with the hotel only offering valet parking, but it was also wonderful. Valet's were always friendly and quick. $12 a night is not bad either coming from Miami where valet charges are crazy. Bed's were super comfy and bathroom's glass wall enclosures were cool. The only issue I had was trying to get the hot water in the shower to the right temperature. It was always too hot for me. The rest of the family who love really hot showers had no complaints. Overall great stay. The rooftop lounge was always busy with professional looking people. If I wasn't there for obligations, I would have definitely loved to hang out there even though the crowd was younger and cooler than I.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank EliMiami
Saint Augustine, FL
Reviewed 2 August 2012

My wife and I recently stayed for a night at the Hotel Duval, after our not-too-impressive stay at the Aloft nearby. The Duval was certainly a large step away in a very good direction - not as "tragically hip" as the Aloft, but still with very modern decor and amenities. Since we were only there overnight, we did not have a chance to dine at Shula's or their downstairs bistro, Le Roc. Overall, the stay was pleasant (after a minor hiccup involving an electrical problem in the suite we reserved).

Our best experience here was at their "Level 8" bar at the top of the hotel. It provides a fantastic South/West/North view and is like a little slice of South Beach or Vegas. I have been told by some locals that is does get quite crowded on the weekends, but our visit was perfect for my wife and myself to enjoy a couple of cocktails and a good cigar while watching the sunset. The drinks are great and the staff provides exceptional service.

The only real negative we experienced was the lack of privacy in the separation of the bathroom and the room. In an effort to be really trendy and hip, most interior doors have been replaced with sliding glass suspended doors that do not seal (open on the bottom and top). If you're traveling alone this is probably not a big deal, but for couples that like a bit of individual privacy in the privy, not the best design.

1 Thank Brad C
Reviewed 31 July 2012

My fiance and I stayed at the Hotel Duval on a recent weekend trip to visit friends in Tallahassee. All of the staff was courteous and professional and the room was immaculate. The bellman Chris drove our group of four to a near by restaurant in the hotel's shuttle vehicle rather than make us wait for a taxi! And one of the young valets was nice enough to do the same thing (in his own car!) for me when i needed to go retrieve our vehicle from a friends house! The room was great with a nice view of the skyline. Level 8, the rooftop bar was an awesome place to catch the sunset.

2 Thank BossGass
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We recently spent the weekend at the Hotel Duval. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The Hotel was very trendy and unique and had many particularly quirky features. We stayed in a King room and the bed was great. In fact, we felt it was larger than a king. The bathroom was small and was built more for style, than for practical use. A fogged glass door that is open at the top and bottom is all that separates the room from the bathroom.

If you have the chance to ask for an upper floor room, demand it. When booking on-line I was given that option, but my request was not granted. We were on the 2nd floor, right next to the street and were awoken by sirens repeatedly at night. I'm sure it was much quieter on upper floors or on the opposite side of the hotel.

During your stay, make sure to visit the top floor. The rooftop lounge has beautiful views and a great atmosphere.

Room Tip: Request upper floor and non-N. Monroe Street facing room
1 Thank K A