“Interesting Place”

Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection
Ranked #10 of 55 Hotels in Tallahassee
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Rooms were dark but very clean and well equipped. Nice use of electric strips. Hot water was VERY hot and close to instant. Shula's restaurant was good. We used room service once - seemed confused.

The breakfast Restaurant was Ok. We just had breakfast. Nothing but the usual.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ron B

Reviewed 25 November 2013

The Duval is a nice smaller hotel that has a fantastic location. Check-in was quick and accommodating of my room location request even though we had arrived before 11am Saturday on a FSU game weekend. The room was good-sized, the bed was comfortable and the outside noise was kept to a minimum due to double pane windows. An added feature to the hotel is Shula's restaurant which offered up one of the best dining experiences I've ever had - but that's for their own review, oh BTW they have a Starbucks near the lobby as well! I would definitely recommend the Hotel Duval to family and friends.

Room Tip: We asked for and got a corner room on the third floor, facing Monroe yet noise was nominal and not a...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank fldave
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We've been coming to Tallahassee for a few years now due to our daughter attending FSU. Fortunately we discovered Hotel Duval after staying at a couple of other area hotels and have never been disappointed. We love the fact that it is a boutique hotel and not a large chain as it lends itself to a totally different vibe. The employees from the valets, front desk attendants, to the maid service are very friendly and helpful. Not once have we requested early check-in and our room has not been ready nor had any type of issue that was not rectified immediately.

Yes, the bathrooms are different - with frosted glass doors, river rock on the shower floors, vessel sinks and a rain shower; it's part of what makes HD different. The scented floors have never bothered us and you can't smell any of it inside the room, it's just another unique touch. Glad they have refrigerators in every room as it comes in handy with tailgating supplies on game weekends!

Shula's 347 Restaurant being in HD is a big plus, it's definitely our go-to restaurant in Tally. Love the food, good wine and great service. Also, Level 8 on the top floor is a nice place to have drinks and enjoy the view of Tallahassee with the stadium in the background. It does get busy up there on the weekends (especially game weekends!) but they have couches outside for seating and if it's especially busy they open up the ballroom which is adjacent to the bar with tables and seating too. We were there for the Miami game and were lucky enough to have a seating area with couches and chairs for our party inside next to the band and dance floor - fun!! (Thanks James and Sid) Small Starbucks and restaurant in the lobby, we usually don't eat there other than to grab a bagel or muffin though so can't speak for the food.

There are definitely cheaper places to stay in Tallahassee but....as the old saying goes....You get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Ask for a king corner room if you'd like a larger room
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I have stayed at the Duval now four consecutive years and it will remain my hotel of choice in Tallhassee. That said, there was a noticeable decline in physical appearance and maintenance with this stay. The furniture in my room was fairly banged up, the air became thick and humid if the a/c was not run constantly and the shower did not drain properly (this left a consistent pool of water in part of the shower). I do hope the new owners put some money into renovating the rooms as they could use it. An additional complaint is the lack of consistency with which elite MR members are treated. With Platinum status, I routinely receive a corner room and appreciate it. However, I have colleagues who are also Platinum and receive no upgrade of any kind. The upgrade policy here seems to be fairly haphazard and I will definitely be calling ahead in future years to request my preferred room type.

All of that said, the service remains top notch. I assume many of the staff are local college students so the training program in place is excellent as I always receive warm and personalized service at the hotel. The Level Nine lounge on the rooftop is always a nice place to unwind and Shula's steakhouse is reliable for a solid meal. The breakfast lounge leaves a bit to be desired, especially with slow service whenever there is a particularly busy morning.

So with some attention to detail and renovations of the rooms, this can definitely be a 5-star hotel again.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are the best. Also noise if you are directly below Level Nine can be a problem.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I booked and checked in at Hotel Duval not really knowing what to expect. I have been coming to Tallahassee for years and I never knew this place existed. I was pleasantly surprised by every part of the hotel. Valet, check in services, room style and cleanliness as well as the rooftop bar and various places to eat exceeded my expectations. I would highly recommend Hotel Duval to anyone that is considering a stay in Tallahassee. I will be back soon!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Check in and overall service, to include the valets, was very good. The lobby and breakfast area were bright, the décor a bit funky. The low chairs were not comfortable. We understood this was a "trendy" place when we made reservations, and we have stayed in some cool places. But our room was not comfortable. The two elevators were quite slow, and since we were only on the 2nd floor we asked where the stairs were. The front desk said they only use the stairs in "emergencies". We waited for the slow elevator. The first time we left our room, we found and used the stairs and they were pretty trashy. Our room felt like it was a basement room--the old high windows, the inadequate lighting, and the dark décor (blacks, grays, and metal) were too "urban" for us. The furniture/decor was uncomfortable and cheap--the desk drawers rolled out on their own, the dark finish showed plenty of "battle scars". Did not like the bathroom and the frosted doors did not shut all the way. The only mirror was in the bathroom, which made it take longer for both of us to get ready at the same time--especially if someone had to use the blow dryer. The pillows all seemed the same, no selection. The room did have robes, a coffee maker, and a small refrig--all which we used. During the day, we used the Level 8 area to read because our room was too dark. This is the smoking area for the hotel, so you can smell smoke on the sofas. Happy Hour was a good deal and so was the view.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kim54
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I would like to make travelers aware of a very upsetting situation we had this weekend with the Hotel Duval. My friends and I (4 families in total) had booked this hotel since February ( some of us in April), for the much anticipated FSU vs Miami game. This past Tuesday, 3 days before, one of the families received a call from the manager James informing her that her room had plumbing issues and she was being relocated down the street to a Wyndham down the street ( which actually ended up being a Wingate and it was 5 miles away) she then tells him that she is traveling with some other families and was sharing a car with another family, he asks her for the names of the other families, which she gives him.. Without speaking to any of us or informing us, our reservations we're cancelled ( we had all booked so early that we had very good rates of $289), to say the least this was extremely upsetting ! We spent 2 days calling and complaining to corporate but to no avail. We are all Marriott rewards members and are still perplexed as to how our rooms which were probably some of their first bookings were the ones to be relocated, I believe it was probably much easier to walk the ones who had good rates instead of the ones who were paying higher rates, either way Marriott should reevaluate how this process is handled. I cannot imagine that a reservation which was made 10 months ago can be cancelled without even informing those involved. We will never book with Marriott again !

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank YvetteG4
JamesPRoberts, Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Dear YvetteG4,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I know this particular situation was not the most enjoyable or fortunate, but I can assure you that we did everything we possibly could to accommodate everyone in the best possible manner. We did have some unfortunate issues occur at the most unfortunate of times. I thought the best course of action was to notify guests ahead of time instead of surprising them with that news upon their arrival. Relocating guests is never a position a hotel wants to find themselves in, but it does happen from time to time.

The reason that additional phone calls were not made after speaking with the guest that was organizing the group was because they told me specifically that they would call the other families and let them know what was going on. I asked her if she was sure and she told me that she was more than happy to take care of that. My apologies for any confusion or inconvenience this may have caused.

I know for certain that you already have all of my contact information, and I encourage you to contact me directly should your travels bring you back to Tallahassee.

Regards,