“Terribly Disappointing”

Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection
Ranked #9 of 59 Hotels in Tallahassee
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We normally travel to Tallahassee for business but this trip was for fun so we decided to "splurge" and stay at a nicer place than our usual "no frills" Aloft hotel. Seeing that this was right down the street and the autograph level of the Marriott chain we assumed a certain level of accommodation. We were certainly mistaken.
The rooms are tiny, smaller than Aloft. The bathroom, which is not a room but facilities that have been installed inside the room and given sliding glass doors to close it off is minute. the shower does have a river rock floor as one reviewer notes, but it is maybe 24 inches wide. There is a modern vessel sink but no vanity so nowhere to put any toiletries or makeup, toothpaste, etc.
I guess the bed is a queen size but it seemed small. My husband is a frequent Marriott traveler and his profile has a king size preference on file so that is always what he gets at their properties unless for some reason they can't accommodate that and they tell him at check in.
The building is old (ergo small rooms) and the AC is still provided by window units. The whole place smells like mildew covered up by fancy air freshener. The condenser on the AC cuts on and off to regulate the temperature so it's cold when the condenser is running and hot and muggy when it's off. The way it used to be for us native Floridians old enough to remember pre-central AC.
The final straw after the disappointing stay was when we checked out we were charged a for Valet parking. There is no option other than to Valet and the charge had not been disclosed on the reservation (made on line) or when we checked in. My husband brought this to the attention of the person working at the desk when he checked out and was told we should have been told when we checked in and he asked did we know who checked us in? My husband said "I know we should have been told and we weren't, that's why I'm telling you now. I don't know who it was but she was here at 5:30 yesterday afternoon." The clerk looked up who checked us in and said he would speak to her about it but that was the extent of his concern.
Needless to say, we will go back to the Aloft, where they have free parking with a much more concerned and accommodating staff!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Elizabeth M
John M, Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Elizabeth M-

I am very sorry to hear about your experience at our hotel as we obviously fell short of not only yours but our own expectations. We appreciate your feedback and will use it to improve in all areas of concern that you mentioned.

Our goal is to provide an excellent experience for each and every guest and I promise we take all issues very seriously. The new ownership is providing us the support that is needed to address many of your concerns through out this summer.

I hope that you are able to accept our apology and give us another try in the future as I know you will see the changes by this fall. Please contact me directly if you would like to discuss further.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Self parking is not an option but I have to say that the valets are excellent. Although we did not love our check-in experience as the greeting and process were not what we usually experience at these types of properties. The hotel lobby is quite nice and there is a rooftop lounge with outside seating that we unfortunately did not visit, next time for sure.

The room was roomy, nicely appointed, quite nice and odd at the same time. There was plenty of room for a king size bed but it had a queen which was really comfortable. We were told that all of the rooms had queen or twin beds. The other odd things were the windows, no desk lamp and a big desk and the bathroom 'walls/doors'. The bathroom itself is very cool. Great shower (rain style sower head) and overall a great use of space. However, the bathroom wall/doors were rather large and heavy translucent sliding glass that slid together to create the fourth corner. It worked just fine but we thought it to a bit weird but not necessarily bad.

Would we stay here again, yes!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

DAL0714-

We thank you for the positive review and are happy to hear you liked the different aspects our property. Hopefully you will be able to get back here real soon to enjoy a cocktail up at the rooftop lounge.
Please contact me if you need assistance with anything on your next visit.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

The Hotel Duval is a gem in a city of not many gems, located a short walk from the state Capitol in Tallahassee. This hotel has been majorly renovated from its predecessors with Marble floors, River Rock Showers, Great Art and fine furnishings, not just in the rooms, but throughout the lobby restaurants and exterior. One of the restaurants on property is a Shula's 347 Steakhouse. All the rooms have new bathrooms with glass sinks and showers. The rooms are tastefully decorated with a Scan Design appearance. The room I stayed in was a king room, equipped with all the amenities of a 5 star resort, including Ipod Dock, Speaker Phone and even a PC for your use, with a touch screen counsel. This room is also equipped with nice work area and small fridges are all standard. Parking is valet only, which is fine, as the parking staff is very attentive. There is a roof top bar and although we were on a high floor did not hear anything over two days, despite the popularity of the bar. The property has a very nice breakfast/coffee shop, as well as the previously mentioned steakhouse. The staff makes great efforts and is well trained. This is a must choice, if you are in the city of Tallahassee!

Room Tip: Corner Rooms are nice, not much of a view, so floor does not matter much.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
John M, Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Jerrythetraveler-

Thank you very much for the outstanding review of our property. We hope that you are able to visit Hotel Duval again very soon to enjoy all that we have to offer once again.

Please reach out to me at the email listed below next time your in Tallahassee in I may assist you in anyway.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This was a graduation weekend but that's no excuse for poor service, odd rooms with bathroom enclosed in glass that lights up room and door that doesn't close. They had more workers than they needed but they were untrained. Waited 20' for coffee and juice. People were leaving tables, just gave up. Nice roof-top bar but blaring music. Wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mack H
John M, Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Mack H-
We are very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us on graduation weekend. While it is the busiest weekend of the year, that is no excuse for anyone to receive bad service and so I do apologize to you for that. If you are ever in town again in the future and would like to give us a chance to redeem ourselves during a less hectic time of year please contact me directly for a reservation. I hope you will except our apology and stay with us again as I beleive you will not regret it.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

We only stayed here for a night in the middle of a roadtrip, but after seeing the photos and reading about the river rock shower I was quite excited. Checkin was quick and easy and the valet service was beyond friendly. In the room however, although very smartly decorated it felt a bit lacking. The bed was small, it was hard for me and my husband to both fit on it. The bathroom was also part of the room, it simply had screen doors to pull across to separate it which felt a bit odd. Overall it was quite nice, but not sure I would stay again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
John M, Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Wishwellingtons-

Thank you for choosing Hotel Duval as a place to take a break during your road trip. I know the funcionality of our rooms does not suit everyone, but being part of the Marriott Autograph collection allows us to give our rooms their own personality which most people enjoy very much. We appreciate you taking the time to write this nice review and I want you to know your business is important to us. Next time your either in town or just driving through, please contact me if there is anything that I might be able to help you with.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

I spent over $700 to stay at HD for 2 nights. That was a mistake.

First problem is that our room smells like we are sitting in the kitchen at Shula's. The smell is VERY strong.

While the room itself is kind of cool, the bed is SMALL really small. Not sure how 2 of us are going to sleep in it.

I complained about the smell to the front desk. I might as well have talked to the wall.

I will NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank WLSC
Pennstr, General Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Dear WLSC,

I apologize that your stay has not been what you would have expected. If you are still in the hotel contact our front desk and we will do all we can to assist with the odor in your room. It seems very odd that it smells like the restaurant and I again apologize for this condition.

Please discuss your experience with our Front Office Manager Issha Scott on Sunday morning and we will address the issues that you have encountered during your stay here with us.

Again I thank you for bringing these concerns to our attention and I apologize again that any of our team did not make every effort to rectify the problems completely. We would love to try to address your concerns before you depart.

Roger Brown

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I was eager to stay at this hotel, but during a non legislative or non football weekend so I didn't have to pay inflated prices. One business trip on a weekday, I got a lucky reservation. The valet service was quick and easy and check in was a breeze with excellent front desk staff. The décor of this hotel is fantastic and very aesthetically pleasing upon walk in.

The room was also decorated well and while the use of space was very good, it was a bit smaller than I anticipated. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was modern and well designed.

Two of the best parts of this hotel are Shula's and the Level 8 bar which gives an amazing view of such a pretty town. You can see parts of FSU and the Capitol.

One of the best locations in the area, definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Pennstr, General Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Dear Rachel S,

Thank you so much for taking your time out to write about your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. We value your feedback and appreciate your business greatly. Thank you as well for the excellent review.

If I may ever be of assistance to you here please do not hesitate to call on me.

Roger Brown