“Staff are amazing - rooms not so much”

Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection
Ranked #9 of 58 Hotels in Tallahassee
Manchester/London
“Staff are amazing - rooms not so much”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

I had really high expectations of this hotel and was unfortunately disappointed.
The good first:
- Amazing staff who can't do enough to help and want to make sure you have a good stay,
- Free shuttle to the airport
- The Level 8 bar on the top floor is great - a lot of fun and where the best of Tallahassee go to enjoy themselves.
Now the bad:
The first room I checked into smelled damp so they moved me to another.
The rooms are laid out in a 'trendy' style, with the bathroom essentially being part of the room with two sliding frosted glass doors to partition it. This is fine if you are travelling solo, but less ideal as a couple.
Air conditioning unit would not switch off so I unplugged it - and it promptly fell off the wall! Fortunataly I was able to reattach it. Then my toilet overflowed and my door wouldn't lock from the outside.

Conclusion:
They dealt with all the problems really nicely, giving me some money off the room and comping my bar bill which was substantial. Their decency and kindness means that I would actually stay here again if I were in Tallahassee, which goes a long way to show that good customer service is often the most important things in the hospitality industry.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
John M, Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
TheSavvyTraveller-

I am sorry to hear that you came accross these issues and I promise they are all being addressed. We are utilizing the slower time of year to try and improve our rooms as much as possible and I feel you will notice the difference next time you stay with us..

We appreciate your compliments on the service aspect as we try our best to overcome all obsticals. If I may be of assistance next time your in town, please do not hesitate to reach out to me.

Food and Beverage Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Whoever said this hotel smells of mildew is right on! Great staff and location, but they should really do whatever possible to get rid of the stench! If you have allergies, this is NOT the place to stay! If it weren't for that, I'd give it 4 stars.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank SeychellesDream
SeychellesDream-

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our property. All feedback is important to us and we will use it to address your concerns.

If you find yourself heading back to Tallahassee in the future and are in need of assistance please contact me directly.

Montclair
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stopped for the night, and was delighted by the amenities and design of this interesting little hotel. I found the valet parking to be quite nice, as the young man who helped me was very friendly and informative. The lobby and room were very cool! The bath was beautiful and very upscale, with a rainhead shower and crystal clear vessel sink (in photo). The bed and linens were very nice. I also enjoyed a fairly robust fitness center with great water. While my coffee maker wasn't working early in the morning, I had a new one within minutes, and found customer service to be that way throughout the stay. I do wish that they were a bit more "green," as the trash that accumulated just from the morning coffee was pretty substantial. But I did enjoy the Starbucks offerings. Had a great view of a beautiful historic home- the former Governor's estate, in downtown.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Laura525
John M, Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Laura525-

We appreciate your wonderful review of our hotel and thank you very much. It's always great to hear when our guests enjoy our property as much as yourself.

Our valet team does a great job greeting and welcoming our guests and so I will pass along your kind words to them. I know that it is never a good start to the morning when the coffee maker isn't working but I am glad to here we replaced it in a timely manner.

Please reach out to me directly next time your in town if I may assist in anyway.

Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

We normally travel to Tallahassee for business but this trip was for fun so we decided to "splurge" and stay at a nicer place than our usual "no frills" Aloft hotel. Seeing that this was right down the street and the autograph level of the Marriott chain we assumed a certain level of accommodation. We were certainly mistaken.
The rooms are tiny, smaller than Aloft. The bathroom, which is not a room but facilities that have been installed inside the room and given sliding glass doors to close it off is minute. the shower does have a river rock floor as one reviewer notes, but it is maybe 24 inches wide. There is a modern vessel sink but no vanity so nowhere to put any toiletries or makeup, toothpaste, etc.
I guess the bed is a queen size but it seemed small. My husband is a frequent Marriott traveler and his profile has a king size preference on file so that is always what he gets at their properties unless for some reason they can't accommodate that and they tell him at check in.
The building is old (ergo small rooms) and the AC is still provided by window units. The whole place smells like mildew covered up by fancy air freshener. The condenser on the AC cuts on and off to regulate the temperature so it's cold when the condenser is running and hot and muggy when it's off. The way it used to be for us native Floridians old enough to remember pre-central AC.
The final straw after the disappointing stay was when we checked out we were charged a for Valet parking. There is no option other than to Valet and the charge had not been disclosed on the reservation (made on line) or when we checked in. My husband brought this to the attention of the person working at the desk when he checked out and was told we should have been told when we checked in and he asked did we know who checked us in? My husband said "I know we should have been told and we weren't, that's why I'm telling you now. I don't know who it was but she was here at 5:30 yesterday afternoon." The clerk looked up who checked us in and said he would speak to her about it but that was the extent of his concern.
Needless to say, we will go back to the Aloft, where they have free parking with a much more concerned and accommodating staff!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Elizabeth M
Elizabeth M-

I am very sorry to hear about your experience at our hotel as we obviously fell short of not only yours but our own expectations. We appreciate your feedback and will use it to improve in all areas of concern that you mentioned.

Our goal is to provide an excellent experience for each and every guest and I promise we take all issues very seriously. The new ownership is providing us the support that is needed to address many of your concerns through out this summer.

I hope that you are able to accept our apology and give us another try in the future as I know you will see the changes by this fall. Please contact me directly if you would like to discuss further.

Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Self parking is not an option but I have to say that the valets are excellent. Although we did not love our check-in experience as the greeting and process were not what we usually experience at these types of properties. The hotel lobby is quite nice and there is a rooftop lounge with outside seating that we unfortunately did not visit, next time for sure.

The room was roomy, nicely appointed, quite nice and odd at the same time. There was plenty of room for a king size bed but it had a queen which was really comfortable. We were told that all of the rooms had queen or twin beds. The other odd things were the windows, no desk lamp and a big desk and the bathroom 'walls/doors'. The bathroom itself is very cool. Great shower (rain style sower head) and overall a great use of space. However, the bathroom wall/doors were rather large and heavy translucent sliding glass that slid together to create the fourth corner. It worked just fine but we thought it to a bit weird but not necessarily bad.

Would we stay here again, yes!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
DAL0714-

We thank you for the positive review and are happy to hear you liked the different aspects our property. Hopefully you will be able to get back here real soon to enjoy a cocktail up at the rooftop lounge.
Please contact me if you need assistance with anything on your next visit.

Orlando
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

The Hotel Duval is a gem in a city of not many gems, located a short walk from the state Capitol in Tallahassee. This hotel has been majorly renovated from its predecessors with Marble floors, River Rock Showers, Great Art and fine furnishings, not just in the rooms, but throughout the lobby restaurants and exterior. One of the restaurants on property is a Shula's 347 Steakhouse. All the rooms have new bathrooms with glass sinks and showers. The rooms are tastefully decorated with a Scan Design appearance. The room I stayed in was a king room, equipped with all the amenities of a 5 star resort, including Ipod Dock, Speaker Phone and even a PC for your use, with a touch screen counsel. This room is also equipped with nice work area and small fridges are all standard. Parking is valet only, which is fine, as the parking staff is very attentive. There is a roof top bar and although we were on a high floor did not hear anything over two days, despite the popularity of the bar. The property has a very nice breakfast/coffee shop, as well as the previously mentioned steakhouse. The staff makes great efforts and is well trained. This is a must choice, if you are in the city of Tallahassee!

Room Tip: Corner Rooms are nice, not much of a view, so floor does not matter much.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
John M, Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Jerrythetraveler-

Thank you very much for the outstanding review of our property. We hope that you are able to visit Hotel Duval again very soon to enjoy all that we have to offer once again.

Please reach out to me at the email listed below next time your in Tallahassee in I may assist you in anyway.

St. Petersburg, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

This was a graduation weekend but that's no excuse for poor service, odd rooms with bathroom enclosed in glass that lights up room and door that doesn't close. They had more workers than they needed but they were untrained. Waited 20' for coffee and juice. People were leaving tables, just gave up. Nice roof-top bar but blaring music. Wouldn't go back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mack H
John M, Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Mack H-
We are very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us on graduation weekend. While it is the busiest weekend of the year, that is no excuse for anyone to receive bad service and so I do apologize to you for that. If you are ever in town again in the future and would like to give us a chance to redeem ourselves during a less hectic time of year please contact me directly for a reservation. I hope you will except our apology and stay with us again as I beleive you will not regret it.