“Extraordinarily Noisy. Unexpected In an Otherwise Nice Hotel”

Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection
Ranked #9 of 58 Hotels in Tallahassee
Jacksonville, FL
“Extraordinarily Noisy. Unexpected In an Otherwise Nice Hotel”
Reviewed 6 January 2011

Let me caution the reader at the onset of this review -- I write this at 1:00 AM because the noise from a weekly event - "Black Dress Wednesdays" - on the floor above penetrates the walls and floors of sleeping rooms below, awakening both of us from a sound sleep. My wife has gone to the excellent hotel exercise room to run her daily 4 miles because she can't sleep. She reports it is very quiet down there. The music sound is just like that emitted by cars fitted with outsize sound systems. Extraordinarily disruptive if it isn't your sound system.

Along with the music the event appears to have attracted a rowdy crowd. Partygoers are shouting at someone in the street below and another group is in the public room next door shouting. Two calls to the front desk have not yet quieted the group next door down. They have offered me another room but the thought of packing everything up at 1 AM and trundling through the halls in my pajamas is too unattractive to contemplate.

I'm astonished at my experience with this hotel. I expect this kind of rowdiness at a cheap Interstate exit hotel. But not at a Marriott "Autograph" hotel. I've been a business traveler for more than 30 years but have run across this kind of disruption only on a weekend night in the New Orleans French Quarter and when the drunks were released from a bar next to my hotel in Steamboat Springs.

This is an "Autograph" hotel of the Marriott chain and saw the distinctive hotel style this group prides itself in. The lobby and rooms are decorated in a very modern, minimalist style. Lots of black furniture, stylish bathroom fixtures, flat screen TV on the wall. Very nice. The rooms are fairly small, smaller than I would expect in a Tallahassee hotel.

The bed is what one expects at nicer hotels and is queen-sized rather than king. I suppose the bed size is scaled to the room size. But comfortable.

I've noticed, since I'm awake, that there is a gap between the air conditioning unit and the wall. The gap lets in fresh air, which is good, but also lets in a lot of street noise. Even without the music and rowdy guests the room is not particularly quiet. My room faces the street and even at this time of night is pretty active and noisy.

In a city with few really nice hotels I booked here because it WAS distinctive and a change from the usual economy-oriented business hotels. It is distinctive and quite stylish but I don't recommend staying here on a Wednesday night.

This is the only hotel I've reviewed on TripAdvisor I don't recommend. At least on "Black Dress Wednesday" nights.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank rbirds12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed 27 December 2010

We (my husband and three year old son) were in Tallahassee for an event and stayed at this hotel for three nights. It was highly recommended to me and after reading some of the reviews on Tripadvisor, we decided to try something new. I would recommend this hotel to couples and bachelors only! The good: Check in was a breeze. The hotel and rooms were very clean. The location is very good and gives you access to everything downtown in Tallahassee. There was a fridge in the room along with a coffee maker. A nice business office area to use the internet and print boarding passes. Free internet in your hotel room if you are a Mariott rewards member. There is a nice bar and balcony area at the top of the hotel for socializing. There is a touch screen monitor in the room that will allow you to order room service, childcare, valet or anything to do in Tallahassee. There is a gym (two treadmills, one elliptical and nautilus machine). The bad: One major problem for me was not having a tub to bathe my three year old son. I called down to the front desk to discover that none of the standard rooms have a tub. There are only three superior suites in the hotel that do have bathing tubs and non were available. I cannot tell you how difficult it was to bathe my son in a shower with only a rain shower fixture. The rooms are extremely small. There is less than a foot on either side of each bed. You literally have to sidestep. There was no chair to lounge in, the only other place to sit was on the bed or office chair for the desk. The layout of the room was uncomfortable, because there are only frosted sliding doors to the bathroom. The frosted doors do not provide much privacy, because you can see through them and they do not close completely. There is no vanity area for a woman to put makeup on or do your hair other than the bathroom sink (which does not have any counter space). Room service is virtually non existent and certainly not kid friendly. Breakfast menu is more like a continental breakfast and dinner menu follows the Shula Restaurant. You should at a minimum be able to order pancakes (waffles only on the menu). Restaurants are plentiful outside the hotel and the fridge came in handy. The heating/air conditioning unit was attached to the wall under the window and was very, very loud. There is only valet parking available at the hotel for $12.00 a night. Street parking is available for free and less than a block from the hotel . There were a lot of negatives with this hotel, but if I had no where else to stay and it were only myself and husband. I would stay here again. This hotel is definitely for the twenty-something crowd.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 27 October 2010

It is great to have more choices to stay when traveling to Tallahassee. The rooms were nice and the service was great. They even have valet parking services that made my stay effortless. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Noleone, General Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 9 November 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments on your TripAdvisor posting of October 27, 2010. We are thrilled to be able to offer an upscale choice when travelling on business or pleasure to Tallahassee's capital city.

Our staff takes a great deal of pride in our product and we are committed to providing quality customer service.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to Hotel Duval. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly as I would love to both meet you and welcome you back personally.

Kind regards,

Marc B. Bauer
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 24 October 2010

I hadn't been to Tally in a few years and was plesantly surprised that I finally have a 1st rate hotel to stay it.
The experience started when I first pulled up and my wife and I were greeted by two very attentive valet attendants. They helped us unload our bags and were both very friendly. Once inside the front desk matched the high standard already set by the valet. The young lately was very helpful and our check-in was quick and painless.
The lobby was beautiful, very trendy, and was totally unlike any hotel I have stayed at in Tallahassee. I felt like I was standing in a sobe hotel.

The rest of our stay was equal to our arrival. The room was very clean and modern. The touch screen computer monitor was cool and was internet ready. That evening we went up to Level 8 (their rooftop lounge) and had a couple of happy hour cocktails before heading out for the evening.

We could not have been any more pleased with the experience and we have found our "new favorite resort" in Tallahassee!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 22 October 2010

Hotel Duval is the newest swanky hotel in the center of town is easy to find. The service staff gave the southern hospitality always with a smile. They are well trained in using the guest name. The guest rooms are super comfortable and the pillows mould to your head. Feels almost better than home. Shula's 347 steak resturant and the hotel resturant LaRoc both ROCK. Attention to detail in every way with genuine cordial staff.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 14 October 2010

We recently stayed at Hotel Duval for a night and we thought it was great, we normally stay at a different Marriott property in Tallahassee every week but since my girlfriend wanted to try this hotel we decided to redeem one of our Marriott rewards night and do so.
The room was a little smaller than what we are used to but the decor was fantastic, the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was very nicely done. The ICE system really gave a modern touch to guest request processing (Actually being a consultant for a time share resort management company I brought it up at a board meeting, very impressive) just before I went to bed I was able to request my car and a wake up call for the next day, very convenient. The staff was very nice and we were given a late check out as I had a meeting the next morning that was running a bit late.
Although we have been to level 8 before, I can honestly say that is the best place for young professionals to hang out, I can only compare it to a Blue Martini location.

You really have turned the place around, I would have never considered stayed there when it was a Park Inn (I believe that was the old name) great operation!!!

South Florida
Reviewed 10 October 2010

Having gone to school years ago at FSU and having visited numerous time since then, I knew the hotel options in town were limited for quality hotels. The Hotel Duval, now part of the Marriott family, looked to be a new and interesting option. It is located relatively close to campus and is downtown. The neighborhood around it is not great, but I felt pretty safe to run from the hotel to campus and beyond. I would not feel comfortable at night. The lobby is tasteful. The front desk staff was not very friendly, but weer adequate. There is a mandatory $12 a night parking charge, which does not seem right for a hotel in Tallahassee. The fitness room is small. There is a Shula's restaurant in the hotel with top notch food and drinks. There is a hip and elegant bar and patio on the top floor overlooking all of downtown. It was actually very nice. I had a premier King room. The bathroom was small, but I greatly liked the stones lining the bottom of the overhead shower. It was like nothing I ever felt before. The room had a refrigerator. The bed was comfortable. I was on a lower floor despite asking for a higher floor, and there was a good amount of noise outside that I heard at different times throughout the night. There is not nearly enough lighting in the room for a business traveler as all of the lights are very soft and dim. There is a large flat screen TV, but it unfortunately does not move so a business traveler sitting at the desk could see it easily. All in all, it is a hotel in Tallahassee worth trying, despite any shortcomings it may have.