“Great Hotel!”

Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection
Ranked #9 of 54 Hotels in Tallahassee
Reviewed 25 February 2011

I have never written a review on Trip Advisor before but I have read them countless times to help with my decisions as to where to stay when I'm on the road. As a consultant, I travel 60% of the year and have stayed in numerous hotel chains and independent operations across the country and have had more than my share of crappy lodging. I started a project in Tallahassee in January, and at the recommendation of my client, stayed at Hotel Duval. Prior to staying there I read comments on this board to help give me an idea of what to expect. After staying there several times over the past two months, I feel compelled to counter some of the recent negative reviews I just read today.

Unlike some of my fellow travelers commenting on this hotel, I found it to be an absolutely wonderful experience. I rarely encounter a hotel where every staff member I come across is nothing but courteous, professional, and bends over backwards to make my stay more enjoyable. I found the rooms to be very clean, comfortable, and possessing all of the ameneties I need (and then some) as a business traveler. The two restaurants in the hotel (leroc cafe and Shula's steakhouse) are both fantasic places to eat and each of them has top flight staff. Their rooftop lounge (Level 8), I found, was the ideal place to sit with my clients and talk business while enjoying a cocktail & cigar (the sunsets there are amazing!) The room rates are comparable to the other higher end hotels I have stayed at throughout the country, and have actually been lower for me at Hotel Duval in most cases.

To my fellow travelers that have posted negative comments regarding the size of the rooms, the frosted glass bathroom doors, and smaller closet/dresser space (the rooms do have dressers) I encourage you to look up other "Boutique Hotels" both in the U.S. and in Europe and browse the pictures of those operations. You will see that Hotel Duval is not only appropriately designed for its class category, it is also quite exceptional in many ways, and is a true compliment to the Marriott Autograph Hotels.

I can honestly say that every time I return to Tallahassee, I will only stay at the Hotel Duval!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank CPBCharlie

Reviewed 23 February 2011

A lot of effort appears to have been put into making the rooms and the hotel look stylish. Unfortunately, little thought was given to functionality. Many of these same complaints are mentioned in other reviews, but I'll reiterate them.

The glass bathroom is terrible. The lack of privacy is completely unacceptable to me. Yes, the glass is somewhat opaque, but not nearly enough. You get a far-too-detailed view and it's even worse when the bathroom lights are on. To make matters worse, the rooms are so small that there is nowhere to escape the view. I don't want to undress or go to the bathroom or take a shower in full view of my daughter, and vice versa. Also, there is virtually no sound proofing whatsoever.

Next failure, there is no dresser. The rooms are very small, so they saved space by removing it, apparently. Where do you put your clothes? The closet? It is only two-feet wide! Since my stay was only for two nights, I brought few clothes and a small suitcase. Guess what, the suitcase wouldn't fit in the closet! There is one high shelf in the closet, so I moved the iron and the blow dryer and stacked all of my clothes on the heavy layer of dust. My daughter just kept everything in her suitcase the whole time. Ridiculous.

Next failure, the lack of seating. Your only choices are the desk chair or the bed(s). We spent a lot of time in the room and the fact that at least one person always had to sit (or lie) on the bed is annoying. And the desk chair is far less comfortable than most because it has elastic straps rather than a normal seat and back. Think of a vinyl-strap patio chair on wheels. Stylish? Maybe. Uncomfortable after a short time? Definitely.

Marriott Rewards member? Skip this place. I'm a Platinum and they said they couldn't upgrade my room, but they would give me a better location. My room was on the third floor and overlooked the roof and ventilation system! I'd hate to see the room I would have gotten!

Also, they don't have a concierge lounge so they give you a voucher for breakfast, as is consistent with Marriott policy. Unlike every other Marriott I've stayed at (many, many), however, the voucher only covered one person (not both guests) and was only good for "one pastry and one coffee/juice"! Every other Marriott voucher I've gotten has been good for the breakfast buffet or a credit (usually $12 - $15 per person) towards your breakfast tab. Not here.

On the bright side, the employees were friendly and the hotel was clean. You do need a car though, because there are no restaurants, shopping, convenience stores, etc. within a reasonable walking distance.

I won't stay at the Hotel Duval again.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank GatorNation
Reviewed 19 February 2011

We went back to the Duval as a romantic Valentine's Day getaway. Again, the hotel delivered a nice, stylish stay. Probably the best hotel in town for a romantic evening. Our only regret is that we couldn't get into Schula's as it was booked up. However, everything else was top notch. We were very pleased and will come back.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2011

My first time at Hotel Duval was great but I recently stayed for Valentine's Day with my girlfriend and it did not meet my expectations. First when we arrived the desk clerk seemed busy talking with a buddy of hers at the front desk; while we were standing waiting to be checked in as she put her cell phone back in her pocket and her buddy left the desk, she proceeded to check us in, no apology for our wait or anything. We were given a room on the 7th floor that was very small (I think smaller than I remember) the room was very clean and smelled fresh though. I also think that the computer system for requests such as valet parking and wake up calls is worthless, (I was so impressed with this the first time, I stayed…) I requested my car twice through the system and received a confirmation and none of the two times was my car brought over, I requested a wake up call and it was done late.... I don't see the point of having a system for customer requests that you can't keep up with.... Yesterday I received my bill with the full credit card number via email; saying as requested. I never requested my bill to be sent to me by the hotel and I do not appreciate my credit card information to be sent on emails without my consent. Marriott does email me folios without the credit card numbers all the time and they come directly from Marriott not each hotel which makes me wonder what happened???. I really don’t suggest this Hotel for Gold or Platinum elite members, while most properties will give you full breakfast they just give you a voucher valid for 1 pastry and 1 drink for the room not even per person. In that sense you get more if you are a Gold or Diamond VIP with Hilton at the Doubletree. They didn’t even credited my Marriott rewards account, even though I talked with two different people at the front desk and gave precise instructions of what needed to be done.

On the flip side most of the staff was friendly and ready to help, everything was very clean and the place is very trendy looking although they really need to get their technology together!!!! I will probably not stay at Hotel Duval again. But I will definitely visit their Level 8 lounge as is probably the best place to go for a drink in Tallahassee.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2011

I stayed here two nights in February and was very impressed. Traveling to Tallahassee on business - all my needs were met. Internet was fast (and free); good food options available (including room service); and the staff was professional. The rooms were so very nice and clean.
The downtown location was also perfect. I could get to my meetings during the day; and had the perfect walking or short drive location for night time activities.
The lobby is well designed. Multiple seating areas and chair types so I could find the perfect place to sit and work or relax.
The winning feature to me was the exceptional service, which is something I'm picky about during my business travels.
Added bonus: They had WSJ, USAToday and the Local paper available at the front desk...and fresh apples for snacks.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 February 2011

This is a great place to stay in Tallahassee. From the minute you arrive the staff is very attentive to the guests' needs and making sure my experience while I stayed was excellent. The front desk was very helpful with answering any questions I had in regards to check out or dining in the hotel.
The rooms were very contemporary: perfect-sized desk to work on, high-definition tv, and a surprisingly comfortable bed compared to most hotels. I have stayed at the Double Tree many times before when visiting Tallahassee, but dining in Shula's and grabbing a cocktail at their Level 8 Lounge was a fantastic experience, especially for a business traveler like myself.
I must say Hotel Duval is my new hotel of choice to stay in Tallahassee.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Backpack03
Reviewed 7 February 2011

Upon first impression, Hotel Duval in Tallahassee seems like a decent place to stay - however, if you require basic business needs like internet and working space please avoid Hotel Duval. This hotel has the poorest infrastructure for internet and has no clue regarding mobile business.

This is my first visit to the hotel; I kept thinking to myself (as my Internet connection failed for the 20th time) that lobbyists in Tallahassee must not work on the Internet.

If a hotel can't meet the needs of business traveler - that should be called out. Hotel Duval, you have been called out. Your services and amenities are poor and must be improved to meet the needs of today's business traveler. I will never stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
HotelDuval, General Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2011

Let me begin by apologizing for the unfortunate set of circumstances surrounding your visit.

We have gone to great lengths to provide a complimentary high speed solution that we hope will always meet the needs of all of our guests. Our goal remains to provide this service complimentary to provide an additional point of distinction.

I will most certainly research and address the connectivity issues you have detailed and welcome you to contact my office directly on your next visit to Tallahassee in hope that I may personally facilitate your reservation. I am anxious to demostrate that your experience is the exception and not the norm.

Marc B. Bauer