“Absolutely terrible”

Wyndham Garden Tallahassee Capitol
Ranked #42 of 54 Hotels in Tallahassee
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

PAID $260 for this room and it was terrible. The place is in dire need of remodling, but the real issue is the heavy smell of mold. Don't book a room here unless you are desperate. I SPOKE to an individual at the front desk and was told they'd check into it...follow future reviews to see if they have.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tessie T

Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Booked hotel in September for FSU graduation. The Holiday Inn became marriott in the meantime. This place is in dire need of a remodel. Our room smelled dank and the carpet felt very dirty. Make sure to wear flip flops at all times,even in the shower. The sink would not drain. The towel rack in the bathroom was very rusty. My son found a spider in his bed. We came back one day and our room keys would not work. Went to the front desk and was told not to put them next to metal or it would make them not work. Really? Funny mine or my husband's keys were not next to metal or magnets. Neither were the people in line behind us that were also locked out of their room. If you have issues with your card keys don't try to pass it off on the guests. A simple apology would suffice. I vote this place shut down for a total renovation.

Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 27 March 2014

When we arrived we had hope - lobby was reasonable and there was an Applebee's attached. We spent three nights here for a conference, and I would not return.

The rooms were dark and dingy. They were far from clean, and there were problems with theft while we were there (not us, but we locked everything up, every day). We were cold at night since there was only a sheet on the bed. When we went to the front desk to ask for blankets (there were none in the room), we were told they didn't have any, and that they were sold out so they couldn't take them from another room. I've worked in hotels before, and I have trouble believing they don't own spare blankets in their laundry room.

We stayed on the ground floor, and there were some VERY loud guests that would return at night and talk in the hallway until at least midnight. Not once did the front desk ask them to call it a night or leave the hall, and every time I had to walk out there in my PJs and ask them to take their conversations elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SarahJane0488
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Stopped there on a bus tour to New Orleans...four busloads. It was bad. Looks like it has recently changed names. Our sink was stopped up, they could not fix, moved us to another room. The phone did not work nor some of the lights. Several people checked in to rooms only to find other people in them already. They offered free buffet breakfast but there was not enough food for all the people, ran out of coffee, no milk. The highlight is it is attached to an Applebees. The staff there were exceptionally nice. Too bad they arent open for breakfast.

Room Tip: Dont go there.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ElBee821
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Booked an unknown hotel through one of the major discounters and got an exceptional rate, found out it was a Holiday Inn and then read the most recent reviews and my heart sunk - whilst I wasn't looking for Tallahassee's finest, I equally didn't want a motel type establishment that I would have stayed at when I was in my 20's! What we got was almost the complete opposite to the reviews, our room was a Floridian (upgraded from a standard ie it had a fridge and nuker (both clean)). All staff we met were super nice and genuinely so, from reception, breakfast lady to housekeeping. Towels were not expensive big and fluffy, but not threadbare. Al pillowcases were on pillows. Yes you have to go down 8 stairs to the lift/elevator, but there's a mini lift that can be used for cases (and people). Room was big, bed comfortable and everything was clean. Yes the rooms would benefit from sprucing up, but, no discoloration or peeling paint. On the downside, you could hear other guests from time to time, and there was no breakfast or alternative on our first morning.

From what I can see, there's not much difference in price in the Apalachee Parkway area, and this Hotel is much better than the one we stayed in over the road at Christmas. If you just want a base to settle your offspring into FSU, visiting them or are in Tallahassee on business, then this will do nicely - if you want a hotel where you're going to spend time in, a 2.5/3 star hotel isn't for you anyway...

Room Tip: Getting a discounted room makes this hotel even more value for money
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank R4therbeonabeach
GM-HITallahassee, Manager at Wyndham Garden Tallahassee Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

It is wonderful to hear that you were so pleasantly surprised with your recent stay. We are so glad to see hear that our staff members were friendly and that you were so satisfied with the accommodations. Thank you for sharing your experience and we hope to serve you again soon.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

I booked this hotel while it was still a Holiday Inn. I received a letter stating that it was no longer a hOliday Inn and that my rate would be honored. I checked for other hotels but there was no availability or the rooms were well out of my price range...I think there was a football game going on that weekend. I forgot my directions at home so I called and talked to 2 people, 1 who said she was the manager on duty (Devon)...neither one of them could give me directions from I-10. Once I finally found my own way there, I told Devon I wanted to pay with cash. she said OK and took my card as a guarantee which I understood. But upon check out I found out that she had charged my card and then the lady checking me out ran it again even tho I was standing there with cash in my hand! To get to my room on the 3rd floor I had to carry all my luggage downstairs and then thru 2 sets of doors before I could get to an elevator. ODD... The room was dingy, dark. Towels were thin and worn. Mattress was lumpy and not comfortable at all. The breakfast was ok but nothing to brag about. I was very happy to leave and continue on with my trip!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Disneyisme

My sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you faced during your stay in our hotel. It seems there must have been some miscommunications regarding payment for the room and to start your stay with a driving direction dilemma is certainly not enjoyable. Our goal is that every guest can leave with a positive and memorable experience, regrettably that is not the experience you had. Although our Hotel is not the most updated we do pride ourselves on being clean while providing enjoyable amenities. It is great to hear that you were satisfied with the breakfast and we do thank you for your business.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

This was a disappointing stay. This facility was at one time an excellent facility, however they have chosen to leave the Holiday Inn brand and become independent. The drop off was obvious. I was in a room with two double beds. Each bed had four pillows. On one bed none of the pillows had pillow covers, and the pillows that did have covers the covers were ripped and yellow. All of the bed linens were yellow and worn. The towels in the bathroom had holes and were very worn. The free breakfast that was promised was extremely limited. I was told they were "out of food". The staff was helpful but only when asked.
The meeting room I used was clean and set up correctly. Overall this facility appeared to have lowered the standards that would be required by Holiday Inn since electing to become independent.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our Hotel. We have become independent but that does not take away from the quality of service or amenities we aim to provide. We take these comments very seriously and will be looking into the quality of towels and bed linens we are providing in each room as well as the concern regarding the breakfast. We appreciate your feedback and thank you again.