“Much better than reviews! Good location! Good value! Great staff!”

Wyndham Garden Tallahassee Capitol
Ranked #43 of 58 Hotels in Tallahassee
Largo, Fl
“Much better than reviews! Good location! Good value! Great staff!”
Reviewed 21 December 2009

Previous reviews made me nervous about having meeting there, but whatever was wrong seems to be fixed - we didn't encounter any issues. Great location near Capitol bldg, FSU and Downtown. Staff was very friendly and helpful, and prices for our rooms, meeting room, breaks, etc. were good value. Applebee's restaurant on site was a good partner for hotel, food, cocktail hour, and social networking.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
West Palm
Reviewed 11 November 2009

This place needs a lot of help starting with the front desk staff(two guys very rude).
You can't ask for directions, they refered you to the business center that Applebees staff and customers shared.
The room was clean but there was s trong smell in the hallways and all the staff said when I complained was that she could give me spray can ?
For a paid breakfast they could put some fresh food on.
Seems like the front desk is all a big party and guest needing assistance are a burden
Lobby smelled like wet dog!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
WASHINGTON DC
Reviewed 26 October 2009

DO NOT STAY HERE. I stayed for three days and on my second day, I returned to the hotel in the evening and ALL OF MY THINGS WERE GONE. No luggage, no clothes, no toiletries, no cell phone charger. Everything was gone!!! I am a business traveler and have stayed in hotels in 40 countries. I have NEVER had an experience like this one. DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
UMiamiHurricane
Reviewed 10 September 2009

Just can't believe that employee theft would occur within TWO minutes of a guest vacating a room.

I came up for the FSU-Miami weekend. The hotel overall was OK for a Holiday Inn, but I might have well as stayed in Mexico City. This last Monday (9/7/09) we brought our bags down to the car, I realized I had left my cell phone in the room. I went back up to the room (I had used it literally fifteen minutes prior, it was NOT misplaced anywhere), the room's door had been left ajay and on the left bed where I had left it on now had a clean stack of towels right where my phone had been. On my way up, I had seen a gentleman in plain clothes (not even uniformed) delivering towels... after looking all over the room and tripple checking our car and bags, I went asked the maid and looked around for the gentleman who I had seen dropping off the towels. He was nowhere to be found and my phone suddenly started going to voicemail meaning my blackberry had been turned off.

I went to the front desk, fifteen minutes later the front desk supervisor came up after checking out a customer and the towel guy had all of a sudden reappeared. They looked through the room again, but of course nothing. They informed me if a phone turned up they would simply "call the last number dialed"... he didn't even ask for a description or make of the phone, contact number for me, or anything. Sent a clear message, but what can I do?

Between the phone "disappearing" and the effort from the supervisor, do not expect the staff to go out of their way to make your stay pleasant.

Side note, there was a notification from the state of florida about the elevator having a safety issue.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank UMiamiHurricane
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 12 August 2009

Check-in staff was friendly and it went downhill from there. Decorated nice, bed ok. Bathroom tiny. Small coffee pot. Damp and humid, even with a/c. First floor, outside with room card or through lobby. Steps to get down to first floor, Room near the laundry room, housekeeping/lounge. Hallway needed painting. Housekeeping staff not knowledgeable. Continental breakfast buffet cost $10.00, but you get a $5.00 off coupon for your party. Did not eat there. Better value for full breakfast at local restaurants. Ice machines only on 2nd and 4th floor. Mold in room, mold on building, room was damp and humid. Washed hair the night before and it was still wet in the morning! Pool is filthy and fenced area is not kept up well. No one swimming in it. Too green on the bottom. 1 luggage rack and it is in the lobby, must maneuver stairs to get it, then take out to car to get luggage. Free parking, IF you can find a spot. Not very accessible for handicapped. Parking lot with lots of trash and debris. Simply not a good place to stay for the price. $129.00 per night. Would have gone elsewhere, but FSU graduation weekend and all hotels booked. WILL NEVER STAY THERE AGAIN! If you have allergies to mold, stay away.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Alderson, West Virginia
Reviewed 4 May 2009

I just returned from my stay at this hotel with a large group of family. First, check-in is at 3 pm, however, we did not arrive until almost 6 pm. We booked five rooms and all of them were not ready! Even though you can enter the building with your room key, it was very inconvenient for my elderly grandmother to have to go down a flight of stairs in order to get to the elevator because we were on the third floor. The hallway had a musty odor. The air was not working and there was no ventilation in the hallway. The only ice machine that worked was on the fouth floor. All of the rooms were quoted at the same rate but some had microwaves and refrigerators and some did not. Of course, the rates for rooms were sky high due to college graduations and were so not worth it ($169/night). Some rooms did not have but one trash can in the bath room, some had tables, others had desks. The toilet seat was disgusting and looked as if it had been there when the hotel first opened. The carpet was dirty. Most importantly, I paid for the majority of the bill with cash and the other using my debit card. When I got home to check my account, there was an additional $30 ($15/night) held on bank account. The manager, stated it was for incidentals and would be released to my account within 5-10 days. I know some hotels to do this, but they either tell you or there is a sign posted at the front desk to make customers aware of the additional fees to be held on your credit or debit card. Imagine if you only budgeted for the actual amount of the bill!!! The best thing is that Applebee's is adjoined to the hotel and the breakfast is ok.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Simplicity29
Orlando
Reviewed 22 January 2009

I registered at the hotel on a Thursday afternoon, nursing an ailing back. After spending two nights at this hotel sleeping on their plush, comfortable beds, I walked out feeling refreshed and pain free. The staff was very helpful with faxes and directions and the new Applebee's restaurant is great. I will stay at this hotel again the next time I am in Tallahassee.

• Liked — Comfortable bedding and convenient location
  • Disliked — restaurant was nice, but very busy
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)