“Good value in convenient, downtown location”

Doubletree Hotel Tallahassee
Ranked #7 of 58 Hotels in Tallahassee
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Good value in convenient, downtown location”
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We brought our kids to Tallahassee to see the FSU campus as part of a college tour. The Doubletree was within walking distance of the campus, so it was nice to park the car and get a feel for the area. There was plenty of street parking, but we didn't want to hassle with the meters and opted for the $8/day self parking in the garage. The hotel is also within walking distance to the Capital, and a good choice for anyone on government business. There are several nearby museums and lots of restaurants. We were there between Christmas and New Year's so things were pretty quiet. The hotel room was comfortable but the entire property needs a facelift. It's very worn around the edges, carpets need replacing and the room air conditioning is LOUD. Our room was on the top (16th floor) and we could hear the cooling systems on the roof that sounded like an engine trying to start - every 15 minutes! The wi-fi is free to Gold and higher Hilton Honors members or AT &T email users, however in this day and age, it needs to be a free service to all guests. Renovations would make this a great property!

Room Tip: Rooms on the 16th floor have noise from the A/C systems located on the roof.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 23 December 2012

We went to a wedding and this hotel served its purpose. A good nights rest. Bed was very comfortable. View looking north was spectacular. Service was fine. Self park $8 valet $12. If you fine yourseft in Tallahassee this is a good place to stay.

• Stayed December 2012
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 22 December 2012

Old room with sink that would not drain normally, handle to toilet about to fall off, and an AC/heating unit that was too noisey to allow sleep. Carpets were grungy. The restaurant was dark and dingy. While my server was kind and helpful they got my breakfast order wrong twice (they ended up comping me though the food was mediocre). Would not go back especially since once there I noted multiple alternatives nearby. Also, while they have covered parking they charge per day and the garage is old and thus spaces are small and many very small or actually compromised by building infrastructe such as large pipes and conduits (frustrating).

Room Tip: Look elsewhere in town.
tally
Reviewed 20 December 2012 via mobile

i checked in and had my boa card declined.. ok wich is another story.
they gave me a room anyway as i am a hiltons hh member turns out. someone in colorado got my info and drained my acct. they ley me book the room free of charge untill i could get to the bank monday it was fridday...when i got the bill on monday it was 79.00
who does that???? they do "!!
wow ty
lance

• Stayed December 2012
Mobile
Reviewed 18 December 2012

$130/night for a "full service" hotel (that was empty; this is low, low season in Tallahassee) in a small Southern city (this is not Atlanta folks) that gives you paper coffee cups in the rooms, not even real mugs???? This hotel offered very little that you don't get at the CI-class hotels (okay the towels were nicer and we did get a robe but just one to share between the two of us). The restaurant was closed and even if it had been open, it gets poor ratings. And lukewarm water in the shower. I would not stay here again.

Mobile, AL
Reviewed 18 December 2012

Close but no cigar. I was here for two nights. The room was standard issue Doubletree - clean & comfortable. The hotel was located in downtown, near the capital, etc. The staff was friendly and tried to accommodate, but that is where the wheels came off the bus. Restaurant closed for renovation, they tried to pull a ball room together for service and though there was virtually no one in the hotel, they couldn't seem to seat us (yes there were empty tables, but no one cleaning them). No coffee in the lobby except Starbucks, which had irregular hours. Wanted a drink of water- no problem- $2.00 for some cheap brand 12 oz bottled water. No water fountain, cooler, etc in the lobby area. Hey folks, this is FL. It gets hot here sometimes. You won't even front a guy a drink of water without forking over two bucks? The environmental considerations of bottled water aside, wouldn't it make sense to have a drinking fountain somewhere in the lobby? They did tell me I could go to the second floor to the gym, but oh well, I didn't have my room key handy so I couldn't get in. I might stay here again if I had to come back to this area, but ONLY after exploring my other options.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
DoubletreeTLH, Front Office Manager at Doubletree Hotel Tallahassee, responded to this review, 20 December 2012
The Front Office Staff and management greatly appreciate you bringing your concerns to our attention during your stay here at the Doubletree by Hilton. We do apologize for our recent restaurant accommodations due to the current renovations. We are striving to make improvements within our restaurant to create a better dining experience for our guests. The hotel does not have a water fountain per security purposes and we do apologize for that inconvenience. We do hope that you call the hotel to book another room and let us know of your previous issues so that we may better assist you in the future.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 13 December 2012

I stayed at the Doubletree recently while on business in Tallahassee. I was greeted very warmly by the front desk clerk, Sarah who was very nice and was very helpful when recomending places to eat nearby. The hotel has a old time feel and there areas that are in need up some touch-ups especially in the rooms. There were some rusted panels and the chair in the room was in pretty bad shape. The room was ok but seemed like the walls were very thin since I could hear my neighbors easily. The location is great if you're there for either university or if you need to go downtown. I ate the breakfast buffet which evidently is the best in Tallahassee according to a sign as you walk into the restaurant. That's hard to believe but it wasn't bad, just hard to believe that it was the best in Tallahassee. The workout room was poor at best. It didn't look like it was all that well taken care of which is a pet-peave of mine. Also, there are some great walking and joging areas along with a museum and some great restaurants close by. I do have to say that the staff was great. I took the free shuttle to the airport and the morning staff got me coffee and asked if I needed anything else since it was so early nothing was open yet. Don't expect any thrils staying here but overall it was a great stay and I'd stay here again if I'm back in Tallahassee, mainly due to the great staff.