“Nice Hotel, Terrible Breakfast Buffet”

Doubletree Hotel Tallahassee
Ranked #7 of 58 Hotels in Tallahassee
Orlando
“Nice Hotel, Terrible Breakfast Buffet”
Reviewed 27 July 2009

We stayed here when we visited our daughter at FSU. Since we had 2 children with us we booked the room with breakfast included. Our daughters told us breakfast at McDonald's would have been better. The food quality at the breakfast buffet was terrible. Service at breakfast was bad the first day once our waitress saw we had a coupon. The next day I made the tip visible at the beginning and service was much better.

The hotel itself is great! Room was clean and spacious and the pool was nice and refreshing. The next time we stay we will just skip their breakfast. Overall we would stay here again...No problem!!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Boston
Reviewed 21 July 2009

We stayed here for a family event. Flew in from Boston and arrived at the hotel around noon. We were told by the desk clerk that no rooms were available and that we'd have to come back at three o'clock. Without an offer to take our bags or any other courtesy, we found something to eat, roamed about town, and returned around 2:30. Still no rooms available. Our family (including a very tired toddler) was made to sit in the lounge for 30 minutes until we were to approach the desk for room availability. Luckily, we only needed one bed -- so we got a room on the quicker side. Family members needing two beds were not as lucky.

The view from the 14th floor overlooked the weekly farmers market -- a nice view. Although the bed linens were of good quality, there were constantly damp with the city's humidity.

The bathroom was quite small. Since there was no fan, I left the bathroom door open to shower. But because of the bathroom size, I couldn't step out of the shower without closing the door first. The amenities here were good -- a nice variety of Neutrogena products. The sink faucet left a lot to be desired. Took me a good day to figure out how to manipulate the handle to get hot water. Mineral stains were quite visible from under the sink.

Housekeeping was excellent. Stacey had super attention to detail and organization that made the room a treat to come back to.

Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed 16 July 2009

Simply splendid! The front desk staff welcomed me very cordially. Within 30 minutes of being in the room, the staff called to see if everything in the room was ok and asked if I needed anything. That's service! The room was very clean, the bed was extremely comfortable, the bathroom, complete with granite countertop, was also clean and well-stocked with practical complimentary toiletries. My wife and I were here visiting FSU with our teenage daughter. If she decides to attend, I will definitely stay here for all future trips to Tallahassee. This hotel had only a 3 rating and was ranked 25 out of 61 rated hotels in Tally. There is no way I'm believing that 24 hotels in the area are better than this one! No way. I'm very picky about where I stay and I wouldn't take the time to write this if the hotel and staff were not worth it.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 1 June 2009

We stay in this hotel all the time when visiting our child at FSU. It has a great location in a beautiful part of town and right up the hill from the campus. Saturday mornings there is a farmers market next door on Park Avenue which is nice and the Friday night party on FSU football home games is a great treat to be so close to. There area is quaint and the proximity to the Capitol obviously keeps the place full. I would say that when the lobbyists and legislators are in town they jack up the rates so high, above $200, that it isn't worth staying at that price. But when rates are below $150, its a great place to stay. The hotel restaurant is very nice and the front desk service is great. I am a Hilton Diamond member and this is one of my favorite hotels to stay at.

Also decent nearby restaurants and a nice bar down the street towards the Captiol building as well.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
Panama City, Florida
Reviewed 1 April 2009

Hotel did not tell us streets would all be closed because of festival. Could not get to
hotel till after 4:00. Was told to park as close as possible and walk. We were in the
middle of a severe thunder storm and I am handicapped. When we finally got to our
room it had not been cleaned from the previous occupant. The second room was clean. Asked to speak to a manager and was told he was gone for the day. Ice machine was
very noisy and water running from it sounded like a flood. No phone book or book with
hotel amenities.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pinkey46
Virginia
Reviewed 1 March 2009

Average conference hotel, perhaps a little more stark and shabby than most. The elevators are painfully slow, and it can take quite a long time to get an answer when you buzz the front desk. The hot water, too, can be a long time coming when you're hoping to take a shower. However, the staff could not be more friendly and helpful. Room service arrives very quickly, as did a service man when I complained that the shower wasn't draining properly. My queen room was spacious and the bed very comfortable. There's plenty of space to plug in your laptop and work. The hotel has a small Starbuck's in the lobby and an acceptable restaurant and acceptable pub. (There's a very good restaurant right next door.)

So overall, not great, but decent enough, and made pleasant by the staff.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
Ponder, Texas
Reviewed 3 November 2008

I see many negative reviews of the hotel, but I experienced quite the opposite. As a Hilton Diamond member I stay in many hotel rooms each year and can be quite critical when things aren't right, but I experienced no problems at all with this property. The check-in process took about a minute and I was on my way. I got to the room and it was a little larger than a standard Doubletree room. Granted the decor was a little dated, but I felt like the room was clean. The only negative was the bathroom - it was VERY small. I could hardly turn around in there!! However if that is the worst part of the hotel, I'm doing well. I ate at the restaurant bar and it was OK, nothing special but then again my expectations are pretty low when it comes to hotel restaurants.

Just a word on dining options.........there didn't seem to be many around the hotel. It was a Sunday night and the town pretty much shuts down on Sunday nights so that's why I opted for the hotel restaurant.

Is this the best Doubletree? No, but it was certainly satisfactory and I would definitely return if I come back to Tallahassee.

• Stayed November 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank TXBusinessTraveler