“2 stars, cigarette smoke and barking dogs”

Extended Stay America - Tallahassee - Killearn
Ranked #23 of 58 Hotels in Tallahassee
Sunny South Florida
“2 stars, cigarette smoke and barking dogs”
Reviewed 1 May 2011

We stayed here during grad weekend, so Tally was packed and pricey this weekend. Normally, I wouldn't have chosen a property like this, but the great rate on a very expensive weekend made settling worthwhile

The good: Paula in the office was very nice and accomadating. Rooms were large. We brought pillows rom home. Doubt we would have slept well otherwise.

The bad: Loud people and barking dogs. An overhelming blast of cigarette smoke upon enetring front door. Dim lighting and dated, cheap furnishings.

Observations & advice: The room was fairy clean. Sheets are heavily bleached, yet comfortable. Bring your own pillows and be very specific if you want a non-smoking room. Most people book this property online and end up with pot luck. If you come on a weekend that is not busy, try getting Staybridge Suites on Hotwire. It can often be found for about $5 more than this place and is gorgeous in comparison.

Room Tip: Be specfic if you are a non-smoker about getting !
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SunTravelerYa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed 25 August 2010

After reviewing hotels in the area, Studio Plus had fairly high ratings, so we thought we would stay there since we also had our 19 year old daughter with us and a suite would be nice. Upon entering the hotel we were first hit with a strong smell of smoke. We continued into the office (there is no lobby counter) to check in. After getting our room key, we made our way down the hallway to our room, and we could not believe the stench of mold and old cigarette smoke. We HOPED our room would be different, but it wasn't. Not only did our room have a musty, smokey scent, it wasn't very clean. There were several spiders we ended up killing, and the dishes provided needed to be cleaned. Since it was move-in day at FSU, all other hotels in the area were booked that night so we couldn't just cancel our reservation and leave.
The next day we spoke with the office clerk who was very understanding. We ended up staying at another hotel (Country Inn and Suites) for the next couple of nights.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 21 August 2010

This hotel provides a great value. Check-in is personal, friendly and quick. I called to ask about bringing my dog (which they allow with a minimal fee and reasonable conditions). They put me in a room close to the back door where the dog walk area is. Very thoughtful and convenient. The room was very nice and clean. After I checked out, they found a flash drive in the room and called to see if it was mine. It wasn't, but they took the time to read off file names so I could be sure. This is exceptional service in my experience. Stay here - you won't be sorry. The only possible negative for me was that it's not near FSU, but it's not that far either. Give it a try!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed 13 August 2010

I'm not quite sure why this place is getting 5 star reviews. While StudioPlus does offer a great price, it is not 5 stars. While the carpet looked clean our feet were dirty by the end of the night by just walking on the floor. The place is old, smells of smoke (even in a non smoking room) and you can hear the sounds of dogs barking at night.

As my husband and I were going to bed we realized that there were ants along the headboard of our bed. We followed them all the way to the air conditioning unit. At this time we would have switched rooms but it was 10:00 and both of my children (2 and 6 mos) were sleeping. We proceeded to kill the ants with our fingers.

The next morning when I informed the MANAGER of the problem she seemed completely un-phased. Her response, "So, sorry, the ants are hot and want to get inside." I wasn't hoping for a discount or a free stay. What I was hoping for was a response like, "Oh, my I'll call someone right away to fix this problem."

It is apparent that the manager of the StudioPlus in Tallahassee in aware of the ant problem, but hasn't really tried much to fix the problem. Ants belong outside not my headboard. It's unfortunate that the manager gave me no assurance that this ant problem would be fixed. I feel quite confident that a stay at StudioPlus in Tallahassee will not happen again.

**If I could do it over again I'd pay $15-30 more at a hotel that offered FREE internet access and a complimentary breakfast. After the internet charge and cost for breakfast out I probably could have stayed a hotel that valued their customers**

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 June 2010

We stayed for three nights with our 2 yr old son. Great rate and great staff. Kitchen was must and saved us a lot of cash on food. Definitely would recommend.

• Stayed August 2010
Albany, New York
Reviewed 23 May 2010

We travelled to Tallahassee for a two (2) night stay and we chose this hotel based on other tripadvisor reviews. This place exceeded my expectations. It was clean, spacious with a full kitchenette, full fridge, counters with bar stools, microwave, oven, dishwasher and cable TV with a few SHOtime channels.

The front desk clerk at checkin was very sweet and helpful and the location was perfect. Our trip was to participate at our daughters FSU orientation and the hotel was 10 mins away from FSU. And walkable from the hotel is Outback Steakhouse, McDonalds, TGI Friday's, Steak N' Shake.

All-in-all we not only loved our stay as the value/comfort were the best we found, we will also make this our home when visiting Tallahassee in the future.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank agarneau
Florida
Reviewed 22 March 2010

I travel to Tallahassee frequently for pleasure and also medical treatment and prefer at least a fridge and microwave in my room. StudioPlus has full kitchens -- and immaculate, quiet, spacious rooms (pillowtop beds xtra nice); an exceptionally courteous staff; a sweet little swimming pool, and free access to the nearby Gold's Gym. All for well under $100. AMAZING. The only potential drawback is there's no housekeeping service for stays under 7 days, and no continental breakfast. But you can swap your linens (towels large and fluffy) and get more supplies daily. Front desk open 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. and after that, there's an emergency number. Love the location, near Killearn and Fresh Market. Also, you can walk to Outback restaurant, 2 blocks away. Will return again and again!

• Stayed March 2010