“Pleasant Stay”

Comfort Suites Sawgrass
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Tamarac
Reviewed 28 March 2007

After I had booked our room for a 3 day stay I read previous reviews and became worried. I called the hotel directly and was assured the rooms were clean and bug free. It was with great anxiety that I kept our reservations. I'm certainly glad I did! The room we had was great. It was clean and more spacious than other "suites" in which we had stayed in different cities. We were a little disappointed in the price; but, this is "in season" in Florida and was cheaper than many of the less quality hotels. The free breakfast was much more than we expected and very good. I'm hesitant to recommend a hotel or restaurant as things can change quickly; however, I can tell you that we had a wonderful 3 day stay at this hotel. No problems at all.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 March 2007

It's tough to know where to begin. We stayed at this hotel during the Christmas holiday while visiting family that lived nearby. Location and exterior appearance were the main reason we selected this hotel. The room: smelled like mildewed athletic shoes and the furniture upholstery was too filthy to sit on. The service: we tried to check into a queen room at 3 p.m. but were told that the available queen rooms were all being cleaned. We didn't want to pay extra for a King room and said we would come back late after Christmas dinner. The desk clerk promised to reserve a queen room for us. We returned at 11:30 p.m. that night and we were told there were no queen rooms, so we were forced to pay extra for a King. After discussing the rate 3 times that day, we agreed to a rate of about $90 per day for a 3-night stay.

Immediately after checking out, we noticed we were charged $135 for the second and third nights. We challenged the rate before we left, but the clerk said there was nothing she could do and the manager, Clive Walcott, wasn't there. We called the hotel when we returned home and the woman who checked us in claimed she was new and wasn't aware of the rate change, but we would need to speak to Mr. Walcott who still wasn't there. Mr. Walcott didn't return our call so we registered a complaint on the company's website. We did receive a written response, which included a copy of the registration card we signed at 11:30 at night. The registration card did indicate a rate change. All I asked for was a refund of the difference in price between the agreed upon rate and the higher rate--even t hough our entire stay was unpleasant. The parent company, Choice Hotels, also refused to help and claimed they had to abide by the decision of their independently owned hotels.

First, they forced us into the higher priced King room, and then they verbally promised us one price and charged us another. They are cheats and their customer service is reprehensible. I have reported this hotel to the Better Business Bureau and noticed that there are several customer service complaints about this hotel. DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2007

The staff here is doing the hotel chain a serious disservice. On more than one occasion I observed them rudely ignoring hotel guests waiting to check-in/out or just looking for information. From what I could tell, the activities that kept them from providing service were a combination of surfing the Internet on a personal laptop, reading magazines and eating at their work stations.

My colleague and I had non-smoking rooms on different floors that smelled heavily of cigarettes. From what we could tell, the odor was carried into the rooms via the ventilation system in the bathrooms. It took several calls to the front desk to finally get a staff person who couldn't care less.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 12 December 2006

This is a sleazy dive. The lobby is scary and the room they gave us smelled like a full ashtray and when we asked for a non-smoking room they said they had none. The two girls at the check-in desk were more interested in chomping their french fries than helping us. We walked out.

Stayed: December 2006
Reviewed 22 August 2006

My sister and I woke up in our hotel room to discover that our beds were BOTH infested with bed bugs.
The hotel did nothing to remedy this and the manager wouldn't even talk to us. We were told that the manager said they were dust mites after the maintenance engineer looked at the room and said "ew" and told us to leave immediately. They were black bugs that oozed blood when squished........NOT dust mites!!!!!
They offered to REDUCE our rate!!! Can you imagine? Naturally I wouldn't pay for this room at all nor stay another night.
We were offered no assistance in finding another hotel and offered no compensation of any kind for the horror or trauma of this experience.
They did not seem outraged to discover the situation which leads me to believe that it's not an isolated event.
DO NOT stay in this hotel under any circumstances.

1  Thank staceyd6
A TripAdvisor Member
Sumter, S.C.
Reviewed 28 June 2006

The rooms were spacious and comfortable. The people at check-in were courteous. The rooms were clean.

Reviewed 2 June 2006

I wrote the glowing 11/27/05 review on Tripadvisor and went back for another few days. I have even put up my relatives at the Mainstay Suites here at the same location.

Well, the place has gone to hell in a handbasket. The place now has a weird smell - either it is mildew or what they use to clean it with. Or, the AC ducts need to be cleaned. The pool water was always cloudy in nature and I avoided any swimming. The hallways and floors were not as clean as they could have been. The place was filled with KIDS (ok, this was memorial day weekend and after) and they seemed to be running in, around and thru the motel with no parental involvment at all. And, NO ONE from the motel staff seemed to take notice or say something.

The rooms were not cleaned until late in the day. I came back one day around 3:00pm and the maid had still not cleaned my room. She said she was sorry, but she had "mucho rooms" to do and they were shortstaffed. She wanted us to wait in the hall until she got to us... we instead sat in the room whilst she straightened. I had to ask her to vacuum, etc.

The breakfast has never changed and it needs to be updated. The breakfast room becomes too crowded and so most people just pick it up and go back to their rooms with the stuff. It also gets quite messy and is uninviting.

WORSE OF ALL - the front desk was putting wrong number calls to my phone at 2-3am! To the point where I disconnected the phone. (And it was the one phone out of three in the room that worked.) At 6am there was BANGING on my door to the point where I thought the place was being evacuated or there was a fire. It was a man banging on the door - he was walking up and down the hall trying to find someone. I called the front desk and it became apparent that she sent him up to my room! So much for security! I told her to call police or I WOULD!

Although there is a sign in each room with a guarantee of satisfaction or that night free - when I presented it to the front desk she said that she did not have the ability to do that and that the General Manager Clive Walcott was OUT. Goodbye.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled on business
1  Thank paulette s
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tamarac
Hampton Inn & Suites Ft. Lauderdale/West-Sawgrass/Tamarac
Sawgrass Grand Hotel and Suites Sports Complex
Doubletree by Hilton Sunrise - Sawgrass Mills
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#78 of 127 in Fort Lauderdale
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ft Lauderdale - Plantation
Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale-Commercial Blvd.

Been to Comfort Suites Sawgrass? Share your experiences!