“A MIXED BAG”

TownePlace Suites Tampa Westshore/Airport
Ranked #75 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed 4 April 2013

TownePlace Suites is one of those hotels that could work really well in certain situations and not so well in others. For example, we stayed two nights in a studio room. It had a full kitchen, including a dishwasher. This would have been a welcome feature if our stay had been a longer. As it was we ate lunch and dinner out and had hoped to take advantage of the breakfast that was included in the room rate. Unfortunately the breakfast was a real disappointment. I suppose the thinking is you have a full kitchen in your room, so if you want a full breakfast you can prepare it in your room. The lobby is almost nonexistent, this is regrettable since it also serves as the breakfast room. There are not any restaurants in the complex where the hotel is located, with the exception of the one located in the lobby of the Hilton across the street. I do agree with most of the comments posted by other guests. As with so many of the newer hotel brands the structures are not well insulated for sound. The people in the room above ours were traveling with a pet elephant and until they bedded it down at night, the noise was very distracting. For us the bottom line is we have stayed in hotels that we liked more and paid quite a bit less.

Room Tip: Some of the hallways are quite long, so if mobility is an issue ask for a room nearer the elevators.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gmathual
TPSAvion, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Tampa Westshore/Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2013

Dear Gmathual,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am sorry about the noise from the room above and our breakfast offerings. You are correct in that our extended stay guests do get to take advantage more of our fully-equipped kitchen in the rooms. Also, as a limited service hotel we continue to look at our breakfast offerings and the TownePlace Suites as a brand is looking into this. I hope if your travels bring you back to Tampa you'll give us another try and stay with us longer in order to experience our real living culture. Also, thank you for the room tip as your aware our hallways are long.

Abel Bohorquez

Reviewed 29 March 2013

Stayed at this establishment during my daughter's volleyball tournament. The room had a queen and a sofa bed. When the sofabed was extended, it butted up against the queen bed and you had to climb over them to get to the bathroom. Ridiculously small room for the price. The A/C was EXTREMELY loud. It wasn't just our room since this was the main conversation amongst the volleyball families the next morning. If it wasn't the a/c, it was the LOUD compressor in the refrigerator keeping us awake. The desk clerks were all extremely pleasant and the breakfast was out earlier than expected which worked out great for our crew. Not a great place if you want to sleep.... Also, I think the housekeeping could be a be a bit better since we had long, black hair all over our bathroom and all the people in my family are blond, red, or bald.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Dear Traveler,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback about your stay at our hotel. I am sorry about the size of our sofa sleeper studio room, also the noise level inside the rooms. We do quarterly inspect our appliances and A/C units for preventative maintenance. I will make sure to share your comments with my Chief Engineer,Executive Houskeeper and staff in order to ensure the items mentioned are addressed properly for the entire Hotel. I would like to share that we do offer 2 other room types, our One-Bedroom and Two-Bedroom suites that provide more square footage if interested for the future. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast and that our staff was accommodating. Should your travels bring you back to Tampa, please contact us, and we will make every effort to ensure you have a spacious and quite room.

Abel Bohorquez

Reviewed 12 March 2013

Staying here for over 30 days due to a PCS move and overall very happy with our experience. Sure there are a few bumps like the bed as per another reviewer. In regards to the mattress, we simply talked to the manager on duty and promptly the mattress was rotated and a board found to place under the mattress. Problem solved! The staff is very easy to talk with and eager to ensure our satisfaction. From the General Manager Abel, to Angela, Holly, David, Hector, and Nancy to our housekeeping staff, everyone smiles and does their job which is to provide outstanding Marriott-style service.
This is a small property with several long-term residents. It's very close to the airport and there is a shuttle service about every 15 minutes to the airport and it's an all-night shuttle as well. There is nothing 'fancy' about this property but you have everything you need. A very basic breakfast is served every day, yoghurt, fruit, cold cereal, orange juice, water, milk, oatmeal. Coffee/Tea available 24/7. The rooms are pretty clean, equipped with kitchen and basic kitchen supplies. Housekeeping freshens every day and for long-term guests like us, a full cleaning once a week is done but the housekeeping staff will ask if there is anything else you need if you are in the room when they come to clean. Small house pets are accepted. There is a small gym which is mostly 2 treadmills and 1 elliptical and a few hand weights. Outdoor pool great for lap swimmers. There is plenty of parking both free and paid. Great location - half mile to the International Mall, about a mile to Westshore Mall. LOTS of options to eat out if that's what you prefer.
I would highly recommend this to anyone who wanted a long-term option or even for just an overnight while transitioning through Tampa Airport.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Mimaboy
Reviewed 10 February 2013

The room was a suite with full kitchen (stove, oven, microwave, sink) and a great desk area with lots of cabinet space. The bed, while clean and neat, felt like it was a very cheap mattress and was very uncomfortable. My wife and I only stayed here for 1 night before taking a cruise the next day. We'd probably do it again for a 1 night stay because it was so conveniently located close to the airport where you could catch a shuttle bus to the port. I wouldn't stay here for a prolonged stay given the uncomfortableness of the bed unless it was a business trip because the room seemed far more geared towards a business traveler given the full kitchen and great desk space.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 February 2013

After staying at only 2 TownePlace Suites properties, and having such vastly different experiences, I emailed ahead to this property manager to be sure my 2nd experience with TP suites wouldn’t be repeated on my 3rd, and to be sure I could bring my family there for the 1st time with confidence. I was assured that my family and I would be pleased with this property.

My first TP experience was great and really had me sold on the brand; but this one went above and beyond that! Of course, it could be because I stayed in a 2-bedroom versus a simple suite at the 1st one! Both staffs were extremely friendly, knowledgeable and helpful; but these guys and girls really shine the most!

The property manager was extremely kind to me and suffered many email exchanges before our stay. One of the things she helped me with was seamlessly upgradeding us up to the 2-bedroom suite at the last minute.

The front desk personnel answered my many questions along the way (don’t you love the guest who can only think of one question per phone call????) – from parking arrangements, to shuttle service, to cruise parking, where to eat, the list goes on. All were answered patiently, kindly and accurately. When I called ahead early that morning to see about an early check in I was told that nothing could be promised but that they would keep a lookout for an early check out and get housekeeping right on it.

When I got the Tampa airport, I called to find out that it would be around 12:30p or so. PERFECT! Also, when it came to helping a non-savvy airline guest get to the right place for (FREE) shuttle pickup to the hotel after getting totally turned around, Ms Holley patiently got me where I needed to be while preserving my dignity! ;)

The free airport shuttle service is excellent, prompt, and accommodating.

Upon arrival we were greeted by Holley. After checking us in and offering to keep a 3rd key at the desk for my sister who was to arrive later, she reached for the phone to call housekeeping to see if our room was ready, but instead, wound up answering a call FROM HOUSEKEEPING to say our ROOM WAS READY! WOW! Was this team working together to get us what we wanted, or what?? When we got off the elevator, the housekeeping professional was right there and used her key to let us into our beautiful room! I could feel her pride in having the room so pristine and ready for us right on time!

The suite:
-Immaculate
-Beautiful
-Full Kitchen
-spacious bedrooms with LCD TV in each
-2 beds in each bedroom! WOW!
-EVERYTHING in the suite was in good repair!
- very comfortable!
-Wi-Fi was SIMPLE, FAST, & FREE!

The breakfast is simple continental, and included in the room rate.

We were going to go to the restaurant at the hotel next door; but Holley overheard us and apologized that the restaurant was closed for lunch; BUT she was FULL OF SOLUTIONS. We chose to call the local sub shop for delivery. Holley gave us a menu and called in the order for us! Also, when the guy took a bit longer from going to the wrong place, she took it upon herself to call him and redirect him!

This kind of service is MUCH APPRECIATED.

If I ever find myself in the Tampa area again, this will be my choice. I would bet the same for my mom and my sister!

To Ms. Maurer, or, “Miss Angela” as her team fondly refers to her: You have a great team and my mom and sister’s 1st TownePlace Suites stay was a success, to which they both responded, “These are NICE….we need to look into these next time we travel!”.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Soundsgood2me
Reviewed 7 February 2013

Hotel is good with all amenities required. Check in was easy and the clerk was friendly and helpful. Free shuttle to the airport. The only restaurant close by was in the Hilton next door. Without a car you can consider yourself stranded.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 January 2013

This was my first stay at a Towneplace, i was suprised at the size of the rooms and the full kitchen, very convenient cause i was here for a few days. I was suprised that we couldn't hear air traffic from the airport across the street. The room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was a simple breakfast nothing to write home about. The only issue was staff was a little scare at times. i searched their little pantry/snack area but no one was around so i didn't purchase anything.
overall i believe i will stay here again if I am in this area.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business