“Pleasant Stay”

Ranked #71 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Bath, United Kingdom
“Pleasant Stay”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Our plane was delayed resulting us getting to the hotel at 2.30 a.m. The receptionist was extremely pleasant and welcoming even at that time. The reception area looked like something from the 70s (lots of orange and plastic) and I was quite concerned. However when we reached the room this was much better and very clean - much to my relief. The staff (all of them) couldn't have been more friendly and helpful - a special thank you to Erica and Nancy who were over and above my expectations. The free shuttle bus service was great. The drivers were also very friendly picking us up at the airport and taking us to the International Mall.
We found the heated swimming pool warmer than a hot tub and overheard fellow guests advising the receptionist so didn't mention it ourselves.
All in all a good stay - thank you.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
TPSAvion, Manager at TownePlace Suites Tampa Westshore/Airport, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Maggie,

You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. I would also like to let you know that our property will go through renovations in late July 2014 and we will be getting new carpet, new furnitures and a bigger breakfast sitting area.The renovation should take 3-4 months to complete.

Once again thank you for sharing your experience with us and we hope to see you again in the future if you are ever back in town.

JUAN RAMOS
Assistant General Manager
TownePlace Suites by Marriott Tampa Westshore
tps.tpatw.agm@marriott.com
813-282-1081

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Washington DC Metro Area
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I'm a Platinum Marriott Rewards member with more than 1,000,000 points so I've been to a Marriott or two. I recently had the opportunity to spend several weeks in Tampa for business and was excited about racking up the additional points. Lucky for me a TownPlace suites (one of Marriott's extended stay brands) was only a few miles from the office that I'd be working from! I booked the room, packed, and was on my way.

I've stayed at all of the Marriott property types multiple times - Spring Hill Suites, TownPlace Suites, Residence Inn, etc. I've "lived in" multiple TownPlace suites properties for many weeks at a time. They are generally very comfortable and provide what you need for an extended stay - full kitchen with all of the cookware, utensils, etc; a reasonable amount of closet space to hold the amount of clothes that you'd need for a multiple week stay; a decent workout facility to help burn some calories, a variety of hot and cold complimentary breakfast choices (make your own waffles, toast up your bagel, oat meal, egg-like stuff and meat-like stuff, etc); most properties have a small bar service with snacks in the evening; and the super friendly Marriott staff that bends over backwards to help make you feel at home.

Unfortunately this property does not fit the mold described above. It began at check-in (my reservation was for a 7 week stay). The folks at the front desk were talking to each other and nearly ignoring me all together. I asked what floor options, side of the building, away from pets, etc were available and without even being looked at was told, "we are completely full, you have the last room available." Looking around the lobby I didn't see the normal breakfast seating area and when asked about breakfast was told, "it's served right here in the lobby" - again without eye contact.

Things didn't improve when I got to the room. It was the tiniest "suite" I'd ever seen. One itty-bitty closet with four hangers was actually inside the bathroom! I literally could not completely unpack the things I had in my one suit case and garment bag. I decided I would definitely have to leave my golf clubs in the trunk as there was NO place to put them here. They were definitely packed and the place was very noisy. I could hear the people next door through the wall quite easily and foot steps in the room above me. The hotel is also right on the approach to Tampa Airport and you couldn't hear the TV when the jets landed.

In the morning my wife and I went down for breakfast and found people standing around the very small lobby area (no place to sit). The complimentary breakfast consisted of a couple of bunches of bananas, some pre-wrapped little muffins, yogart, and little boxes of cold cereal that had been "wheeled out" on a cart.

It seemed to me that this place was a former "regular" hotel that had been converted into a Town Place Suites - stuffing a little kitchen into a standard size room, trying to pull off the breakfast when no area had previously existed, etc. I was told it was a fairly new property that had been purposefully built as a TownPlace Suites in other places.

There was no way I was going to spend 7 weeks in this place. My wife and I spent the day looking at other extended stay properties in the area - the Hilton Garden Inn right across the street is very nice, Spring Hill Suites was a few miles away and looked like a reasonable option as well although the area of town it's in is a bit run down. We settled on a very different property - a set of owned condos that were managed as a hotel called Sailport Water Front suites. Every room has a gorgeous water view of the bay (the word view understates it ... you are ON the water) and prices are VERY reasonable. We actually hated to leave.

Again, I've spent MONTHS living in TownPlace Suites in other places. The staff ALWAYS learns your name within a day or two and gives you a personal welcome each day. I've seen them throw birthday celebrations for some of the extended stay customers. Rooms have always been comfortable and spacious enough to not have you stepping around stuff to get to the window or door, closet and dresser space has always accommodated my needs, etc. I will continue to keep Marriott as my "go-to" property for now BUT if I have another experience or two like this one I will be shopping for a new brand.

Room Tip: there are better options for a place to stay
Green Features: I didn't notice any beyond the standard "please reuse your towel" message
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
TPSAvion, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Tampa Westshore/Airport, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Sliptak,
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. It is always our goal to provide you with outstanding customer service and a great place to stay when you choose our property. I am disappointed that we were not able to meet your expectations during your last stay with us and I apologize for that.
However, I did want to share with you that we are going through our renovations starting in mid-August. One of the changes will be our breakfast area is being expanded and more seating is being added. The entire Hotel will be going through renovations. I also would like to show you our larger rooms types that I feel would be more accommodating to your needs. Please feel free to contact me if your travels bring you back to Tampa, I would like to welcome you back to visit us.

Abel Bohorquez
Marshfield
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Marriott Platinum Elite Member - Stayed one night before an early morning departure out of TPA, staff was friendly assisting me with tape to secure a box that I was sending out. Shuttle bus drivers were both very nice and got me to and from the airport without incident in a timely fashion. Only concern was that housekeeping forget to check the cupboards and refrigerator as I found a previous guests food left in both places (nasty), otherwise my upgrade into a two bedroom suite was a bit over the top, but non the less the staff did recognize my status and provided the upgrade, thank you.

Room Tip: They share a bus with the parking garage next door, you have to know the name of the bus service as...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MarshfieldWisconsin
Florida
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We had an early morning flight out of TPA, and this hotel took 1/3 the points of other Marriot properties at or near the airport. This property is literally less than 2 minutes away from the airport.

It gets a ding for not having king beds. None. Not one in the whole hotel. That's usually enough to make me stay elsewhere. But, as noted, it was a point bargain and we were only there a few hours.

I had never stayed at this brand. I like it. It's kind of like a scaled down Residence Inn with a price to match. It has a small kitchen with small but real appliances, plates, dishes, etc. Nice big closets. It would be ideal for an extended stay... a bit better equipped for longer term guests than your standard hotel. Good bed. Nice, well equipped bathroom. Everything was clean, tidy, and well maintained. It's kind of a different feel from your standard Marriott brand with a kind of funky lobby and kind of mazey hallways, but it was nice. They also had an expanded little store, with a few more items than one finds in the standard hotel.

Check in was quick and painless. Internet (free) worked just fine. Everyone was friendly. Free breakfast had few options, but it was good.

We'll definitely stay here again when we have an early morning TPA departure. And we'll definitely consider the brand when we are traveling.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Checked in here for a night before a wedding. Greeted by David at front desk with a warm welcome! My suite was well-appointed and spotless. When I called for 10am wake-up call, the lady on the phone explained that if I slept until 10am I'd miss their free breakfast;) That's Hospitality! David was at the front desk for my check out with another warm smile! The staff takes pride in this property and it shows!

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Hurricane, West Virginia
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My wife, four young children, and I stayed at this TownePlace Suites on March 26-28, 2014. I researched several hotels but this was one of the few that was able to meet our needs as a large family supposedly due to local fire codes. I don't mind paying a little more for a hotel room as long as it meets our needs. In this case we paid $557.76 for a two night stay. As a Rewards Member, I have always experienced clean, nice rooms with Marriott. Not the case this time. The room was spacious enough however it was dingy and had a musty smell. The furniture was well worn and in need of replacement. Our childen walked around in their bare feet the first evening until we noticed that their feet were black with filth from the carpet. The first night from about 3am-4am it sounded like remodeling was taking place in the room directly above us. I complained at the front desk and was told that the person above us stated that they just woke up and had not heard any disturbance. At 4am the second night, we were awoken by a guest taking a shower and singing at the top of her lungs. I hardly ever complain about anything. I'm pretty easy going but I feel like I was robbed of $557.76 at this hotel. The only thing positive I can say is that the staff were friendly.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Michael T
TPSAvion, Manager at TownePlace Suites Tampa Westshore/Airport, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear MICHAEL T.,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a survey and sharing your experience with the TownePlace Suites Tampa Westshore/Airport. I apologize that your recent stay was not satisfactory and appreciate your feedback.

You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. Please be assured that we are taking immediate corrective steps to avoid such problems in the future. Our property will go through renovations in late July 2014 and we will be getting new carpet and new furnitures. The renovation should take 3-4 months to complete. I would like to discuss your recent stay in private if you can please call me or email me at the below information I would greatly appreciate it..

Once again, please accept my apology. We would like to regain your trust and we hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you back to this area.

JUAN RAMOS
Assistant General Manager
TownePlace Suites by Marriott Tampa Westshore
tps.tpatw.agm@marriott.com
813-282-1081
Thurmont, Maryland
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We are nearing the end of a 30 day stay at this hotel in Tampa. This has been an excellent hotel experience. The staff has been very helpful, and they convey a friendly attitude toward guests and are ready to meet all needs and requests at amoment's notice. The manager has been very interested in our comfort and needs during our stay, and the staff reflect this management style in their interactions with us. The room is well appointed, spotlessly clean and all appliances and fixtures are in excellent condition. Light breakfast is available each morning. Coffee is available 24 hours each day. The location is adjacent to Tampa International Airport, and very near major highways but has provided us with a very quiet, restful stay. This hotel offers excellent accomodations at a very reasonable price.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple