“Defective elevators, disgusting smell in room.”

SpringHill Suites Tampa Brandon
Ranked #78 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I had reserved two rooms for two nights, we were in the area on business. As Marriott Platinum Elite members, we have stayed in countless locations with great success.
The elevator doors closed and the elevator failed to move. We tried again, same outcome. I returned to the desk and was actually told that the doors do not close properly and that we should push on the doors to operate the elevator! That is completely unacceptable, so I asked for first floor rooms.
The stench of heavily perfumed air freshener was overwhelming and made staying there impossible. What foul smell are they trying to mask?? When we immediately returned to the desk to check out, a housekeeper told us that we should call ahead and tell them not to spray the room and that they "don't spray the fabric" in the room. #1, I should guess that they spray the room? #2, where does she think the spray lands if not on the filthy furniture and carpet?
The management needs to go in each room and ask themselves if they would put their families in there.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I stayed here with my mother, father and 14 year old son during memorial day weekend. We mainly came out here to go to one of the Tampa Bay Rays vs. Red Sox baseball games. This hotel is pretty close to The Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino, so it was a great location. Unfortunately, that's about the only good thing about this hotel, the location. Restaurants and shopping nearby.

I'm not quite sure where to begin, the staff was unwelcoming. With the exception of one younger girl at the front desk, I wish I could remember her name, I made sure to thank her for her friendly service. She has straight, longer brownish hair, hope this helps.

Lets begin with their Wi-Fi service, it is horrible. We continued having to keep logging in every few minutes because we kept getting disconnected. The beds do feel like cardboard, yes it's true. Before we stayed here I had read some of the other reviews and it was hard for me to believe how everyone was talking about how uncomfortable their beds were. Because usually the Marriott hotels have really comfortable beds, but these beds at this location really are horrible.

I went down to the lobby at around 10:00pm for a cup of coffee, and it was cold. So I went up to the front desk to see if maybe there was a chance that there was some hot coffee available. There was no one there as I waited a few minutes. I had to go around the counter where there's a door to an office and peek my head in and say: "hello, excuse me, is there any hot coffee available" ? and the lady that was in there, a black lady, could have cared less about being polite or even saying hello, all she said was "No", and I just said: "okay thank you", and just walked away.

The next morning we went down for their complimentary breakfast which was very good. The ladies working the breakfast area, are not very friendly at all. They will stand there and watch your every move, which made me feel uncomfortable. There was a moment when I was trying to get a bagel with my dad and one of the ladies was impatiently standing behind us waiting for us, and I apologized and said "I'm sorry, are we in your way"? and we kindly moved out of her way, to let her in to do what she needed to do, but she sarcastically said "No, go ahead finish" ... very unprofessional. Also, I'm not sure if this is all of the time, but the place was crowded with a girls soccer team, so getting something to eat in the morning is a challenge with everyone hovering over you.

The swimming pool area closes at 11pm, but since my son did not have a chance to go earlier in the day, we decided to go down for a few minutes at around 10:50pm, and when we got there the man working the pool area sternly stated that we didn't have much time left before they closed and allowed my son to stay for maybe 20 minutes passed 11:00. He returned shortly after and said: "Okay, Time to Go" ... not professional in my eyes, but that's what he said and the way he said it was just off. My son is very quiet and mild mannered, he's not much of a talker and he was just trying to sit in the pool and relax for a little while. So we went upstairs.

I went with my dad to The Hard Rock for about an hour or two, and got back at 2:30am when we noticed that there were about 10 people in the swimming pool making noise, laughing, drinking and being very loud, I couldn't believe that my son was basically kicked out earlier that night, and yet these people were allowed to stay there and drink alcohol and be loud.

As we checked out the following day, I did mention the swimming pool situation to the same nice girl that we checked-in with, and she apologized and told me she was aware of the drunks in the pool at 2:30am.

I wouldn't want to stay here again, it wasn't the greatest experience. We decided to stay another night in Tampa, and The Homewood Suites which is a little further down the road across the street was incredible, we were very pleased there and we highly recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I was able to check in much earlier than the posted times, the staff was courteous and helpful when my coworkers and I had questions...recommended several good places nearby to eat dinner...stocked the breakfast buffet in a very timely manner. My room was a little bit sandy the first day I was in there, which was not because of my adventures that day....but the sand was quickly cleaned up. My room was comfortable, clean, and spacious. An earlier review noted this hotel was on a busy road and to request a room in the back of the hotel...I don't recall hearing a lot of street noise during my stay. I would definitely consider staying at this hotel again if work brought me to Tampa.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank GreyhoundGirlie
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

I checked into room 404 on May 24th and was immediately under whelmed.

As soon as I walked in our room you are greeted by the smell of moldy carpet. Which is the cherry on top from the elevator ride (moves so slow you have plenty of time to reconsider the Hotel you are staying in).

So we went to the front desk to complain about our moldy smelling room and were told someone would be up. 5 minutes later a floor keeper came and said he cannot replace carpet and sprayed Fabreeze... Yep. He sprayed and left.

We went back down, asked for another room and were told there were no others available.

It was around 11 so we decided to stick it out and just sleep.

The AC worked sporadically.
The TV did not work at all, wouldn't come on.
The bed sheets (in both beds) were sticky. It was like sleeping in sheets that didn't fully dry.

It was a bad night. The next day we moved rooms to 214. Smelled better, but still old. The TV in this room comes on, but the picture doesn't show up, just sound. Yay.

I haven't used these beds yet, I figured it was time to write this review.

Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2014
Eugene B, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites Tampa Brandon, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Thank you for choosing Springhill suites Tampa Brandon. I would also like to thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. I sincerely apologize that you did not have a satisfying stay with us. Our goal is to provide the highest quality of standard and service for an exceptional guest experience. I’m sorry if we didn’t’ give you that impression. Please know that this is not something we take lightly. Your comments have been shared and addressed with our staff and improvements will made to make sure we are doing all we can for the highest level of service to our guests. We value your business and hope that you will consider us for your lodging needs in the future.

Thank you and please let me know if there’s anything else I can do that would be of assistance to you.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed at the SHS in Tampa Brandon for a Soccer Tournament weekend and everyone had a great time. I stay at SHS across the country and I was very impressed with the staff at this location. With multiple soccer teams booked for the weekend, they did a great job restocking the breakfast buffet and keeping all the public areas clean. They were very nice to the kids, even when they got a "little" loud in the pool area.

My only complaint is the beds were a little firm, but I think they are updating the rooms soon. Overall, definitely worth the value!

Room Tip: Ice makers are in the hallway, make sure to ask for a room further down the hall
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank NotReallyB
Reviewed 17 April 2014

The Springhill Suites was a clean and basically average property. It is located on a busy road, so ask for a room in the back. The hotel was very accomodating and allowed us to check in early. The property needs to be updated and redone as a many of the Springhill Suite properties are. The beds are a bit hard and need to be replaced with the newer comfortable bedding. A little disappointing for a Marriott property that usually delivers without a hitch. Overall, an average middle of the road property that is very, very clean but is in need of a facelift.

Room Tip: Face the back or noise from the road may awaken you.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Eugene B, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites Tampa Brandon, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear valued guest, thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your experience with me. Thank you for your kind comments, and I regret that our bedding did not meet your expectation. Please know that everything we do here is geared toward the comfort of our guests.
We are currently preparing for our up-coming makeover project and are still in process of evaluating our areas of opportunity. Your comments are very helpful to us and we are taking them into consideration as we plan.
We look forward to exceeding your expectation the next time you are at our property. Thank you for choosing the SpringHill Suites by Marriott International, Tampa Brandon.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

The SpringHill Suites is part of the Marriott chain and their location in Brandon, a suburb of Tampa, is an excellent choice for family accommodation when in the area. The 2 room suite that I had was well laid out with plenty of space and a large walk in closet. The sitting area was a good size and the flat screen TV swivels easily between this area and the sleeping area.

The property has a pool that was actively used during my stay as well as a fitness room. Complementary breakfast is served daily.

Room Tip: Being geared to the family the hotel can be a bit noisy but this is to be expected. I found that th...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo