“Great Service Matches a Great Property”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens
Ranked #45 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Berrien Springs, Michigan
“Great Service Matches a Great Property”
Reviewed 4 December 2011

Angela the registration staffer was outstanding
I travel a lot
I am a platinum member at several hotel chains and so I know bad service - average service & outstanding service

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank RonWhitehead
Ryan C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this review, 7 December 2011
Hello! Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to fill out a Trip Advisor review of the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF Busch Gardens! Angela will be thrilled to see her name on a review. We always celebrate a team member who is lucky enough to be recognized on a review site such as this. It is hard to get your name mentioned on here, and I know she truly appreciates you! We brought Angela on board from California about 2 months ago, and she has been a major factor in the boost to our customer service and team spirit here! Kemelya Scott(AGM) and I are very happy to have her on our team! She is a fantastic team member and our guests just love her as much as we do! I hope everyone who comes to visit with us gets a chance to meet her!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Arabic first
West Virginia
Reviewed 16 November 2011

This hotel is great for the price. It's within walking distance of Busch Gardens (about two blocks), and they offer a free shuttle back and forth at certain times. If you want to ride it, be sure to reserve a space for yourself ahead of time because it fills up. The breakfast was great and the eating area was very clean. The rooms are spacious and clean, and the staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The next time I visit Busch Gardens, I will definitely be staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: Only a few of the floors have ice machines, so make sure you ask which floors have them to save a lo...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank WVCoasterFreak
Ryan C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this review, 18 November 2011
Hello! Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to write a review of our hotel! We truly appreciate when guests give us and our future guests their thoughts on how we have done. I am very happy to read of your experience with us. The breakfast hostesses and guest services team will be very happy to see they were mentioned in another review! We are looking forward to coming back soon to stay with us!

I love your room tip. You are correct, we only have ice machines on the second and fourth floors. The first floor has vending and the third floor is where guest laundry is located (so no room for an ice machine). I hadn’t thought about publishing that information before. Thank you for making me think to do that! Sincerely, Ryan Cornelius.
Southport
Reviewed 16 November 2011

Stayed here couple of times before, found staff a bit disinterested this time eg asked five times for extra hangers but got none - "housekeeping go off at 3pm, room is locked!". Decent room, good breakfast if a bit busy and chaotic (Halloween Week), hotel very busy but not noisy at night. Nice little pool but goes into shade midafternoon. Very efficient Busch Gardens shuttle 3 times a day morning and afternoon, but otherwise not a bad walk(for Brits anyway!) about 1.5 miles. Definitely good choice for BG

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SagaBoy13
Ryan C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this review, 17 November 2011
Hello! I know this sounds repetitive if you have read my previous replies to everyone who leaves reviews for us, but I sincerely want to thank you for your review, and offer a sincere apology to you for the seeming lack of interest in helping you with your request for more hangers during your stay. I find this response to your request completely unacceptable. We will be highlighting your review in our next team meeting so we can improve our service level. Identifying improvements in our commitment to our guests is integral to Striving for Excellence. I want my property to be known for going above and beyond for our guests. Thank you for assisting us in getting better and better every day in every way!
Sorrento, Florida
Reviewed 15 November 2011

This is a close hotel to Busch Gardens, it took us about 2 minutes to get to the parking lot for the theme park. The Olive Garden and Red Lobster restaurants are just a few steps away so we took advantage of that for our dinner. The rate we paid was less than $100 so we were not expecting much. The beds were comfortable, the room was clean, and the check-in staff was efficient. The free breakfast was a nice surprise- They had the usual muffins, doughnuts, and toast but, they also offered scrambled eggs, biscuits & gravy plus an assortment of cereals. So that was a plus- not top of the line quality but, enough to satisfy a family before heading off to a theme park.
The only negative thing about this hotel was that we found it to be noisy. Since it is next door to the Olive Garden they had delivery trucks first thing in the morning.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
First, let me thank you for your review. We are happy you chose us for your stay here in Tampa. Second, let me thank you for letting me know about the deliveries next door. We have a very good relationship with our neighbors, and I am sure we will be able to come to some sort of resolution about the noise from the deliveries. I am sincerely sorry for this inconvenience, and truly appreciate you letting me know so I can address it right away! It really helps when we are able to get constructive feedback from our guests in this way. We can only take steps to get better and make things right for my future guests when we are notified of issues such as that we normally wouldn’t be able to identify ourselves. You have provided me with a valuable service. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Miami, Florida, United States
Reviewed 15 November 2011

I love this hotel!!! We have stayed twice and both times was wonderful. The staff is the best. They are extremely friendly and nice. The hotel is pretty new so the rooms are very clean and modern. Breakfast buffet saves you money and a tasty breakfast too. If you are going to busch gardens, you have to stay here since it is only within walking distance from the park and they even have a shuttle that takes you there.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Hello! Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to write your review of our hotel. We absolutely agree with you, that anytime you come to Busch Gardens you need to stay with us! My team and I are working hard every day to get better and better at meeting and exceeding your expecations. We look forward to having you come back soon and stay with us!
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 6 November 2011

We stayed here for one night for a Busch Gardens day before visiting our friends in Fort Myers. Very closed to Busch Gardens, about five minutes drive to the park
Very quickly check-in, room clean and confortable.
The breakfast was ok and in the afternoon they offer pop-corns and biscuits.
Very reasonable price !

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FedericaRoma_Italy
Ryan C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this review, 14 November 2011
Thank you for your review of our property! We know you had a lot of choices in the area, and are happy you decided to stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed 5 November 2011

I reserved and pre paid for the room about 15 days in advance, at the Holiday Inn website, locking in a large discount. I chose this hotel because of a) Tripadvisor reviews; and b) I like Holiday Inn Express.
I arrived at around 7:00PM on Tuesday, November 1, 2011 for a 3 night stay. My main idea for making this trip was to spend a day at Busch Gardens, and the hotel's advertized free shuttle service back and forth was also a deciding factor, avoiding parking fees at the park. Therefore, for the purposes of this trip, the hotel's location was perfect. That is why I rated it a 5 star for location.
I asked for and received a non smoking king leisure, on the second floor. I took a few pictures, which I will attach to this memo. The modern flatscreen TV, the HVAC unit and the microwave all worked great. Lots and lots of TV stations. The bathroom was super sparkling and nicely decorated too, and very large. The room itself was spacious as can be. I did not use the coffee maker. There was always some coffee ready in the lobby! If not, they would make some, I was told. By the way, I drink coffee 24-7. I did not use the outdoor pool either, though it looked very nice, and the fitness room had just 3 cardio machines, and I tried 2 of them and they both worked.
I was driving a rental car anyway, and to get around this city you just have to have a car. There is plenty of free parking just outside the front lobby; also tons more around the sides of the building. The day I went to the park, I just left my car behind.
The hotel was quiet and there seemed to be not too many guests. I could tell this because at breakfast time, 6:30 to 9:30AM, there were not many coming to the Express Breakfast area. When busy, these are usually packed.
I am a breakfast person, usually up and at 'em before 6AM. The 'standard' Holiday Inn Express breakfast is something I always look forward to. Here, I always know what to expect. Holiday Inn Express has never let me down, their breakfasts are identical everywhere. The short list: An automatic pancake machine, sausage patties, hard boiled eggs along with either scrambled eggs or omelet, biscuits and sausage gravy which I love the best, bacon sometimes, bagels and toast and toppings for them, 3 juices, milk and coffee and yogurt, sweet rolls, cold cereal choices and more.
The condition of the property was very good, what you would expect from a recently opened hotel; it's about 2 years old I think I read. Housekeeping was above average, including employees constantly cleaning, sweeping and polishing the lobby and hallways and seating areas. I was very impressed by that. My room was cleaned perfectly every day while I was out.
The front desk personnel were extremely friendly and helpful, greeting guests with a "Good morning, sir" or "hello, sir" every time you pass by. I did meet the manager, on my last day as I was checking out, and told him that I was pleased with my stay.
The shuttle service was ready to go, on time basically, according to the published schedule.
When I say on time basically, I mean give or take 15 minutes. I was not the only one on the bus that day, and we were all 5 basically pleased with the service. For me, I could drink a couple of beers at the park, (guess what, Budweisers!), and not have to drive "home".
Now a final note about location. Busch Blvd, and the entire north side of Tampa, is not known for its beauty. I don't think there is any neighborhood within 10 miles of Busch Gardens where you could go out safely and fearlessly for a walk after dark. That is a little confining, but not unsettling as long as you stay indoors. I did walk down the street a couple of times for dinner, but stayed pretty close to the hotel, watching when I crossed the street, and generally on guard at all times. 2 of the 'better' places to eat require 2 u-turns to get to if you drive there. So walking made more sense to me. Personal preference, and I am a vigorous male too and that makes a difference.
I would highly recommend the Holiday Inn Express at Busch Gardens and USF if you will be going to Busch Gardens.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank fritomann
Ryan C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this review, 11 November 2011
What a kind review from someone who is a prolific Trip Advisor contributor! Thank you so much! I love how you took us step by step through your entire stay. Including mentioning how to get a great rate by booking in advance. I also found it fantastic for you to mention the reviews here on Trip Advisor were a contributing factor on choosing us. My team and I continue to cultivate the best customer service available to anyone who is planning on staying in the Tampa area. We know there are hotels out there that offer a bed and a TV and a bathroom. We are also very aware it is the service and the genuine caring attitude our guests receive that will set us apart from everyone else. That is why we are so focused on bringing the right people onboard that mesh well with the crew I have, and can contribute to our ongoing development of an elite team of hospitality professionals. I can’t wait for you to come back and try us again in the near future!