“Exceptional Service and Quality”

Hilton Garden Inn Tampa Airport Westshore
Ranked #4 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chandler, Arizona
“Exceptional Service and Quality”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Although this is always a busy hotel, the staff is top notch and goes above and beyond when it comes to service no matter what the request. As well, the rooms are spotlessly clean as are all public areas. The rooms are quiet even with the constant activity at the hotel and the airport next door. Once inside our room, we did not hear a thing. A great night's sleep for an early flight. Thank you Hilton Garden Inn Tampa Airport staff!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Todd K, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Tampa Airport Westshore, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear ArizonaTravelerGal, Thank you for your recent posting. Our entire team appreciates you taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. You were correct when you said you couldn’t hear the airplanes. Due to the proximity to the airport, our hotel has additional sound proofing. You can see the plans, you just can’t hear them! We are glad our team delivered a home run for you and your family. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to see you again.

Todd Kinney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Rochester, United States
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Great location in Westshore and shuttle service to the airport and International Mall are a huge convenience. Staff was very accommodating and service oriented and the food was excellent. Thank you for a great stay!

Dear Rob,
Thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn Tampa Airport. I am glad to hear that you found our hotel to be convenient for you. We know there are many hotels to choose from when visiting our area, and we feel you picked the right location! Thank you for your generous comments, we will be sure to share them with our team. We look forward to seeing you again, when your travels bring you back to Tampa.

Todd Kinney
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 27 January 2014

My husband doesnt really nitice much, but he was pretty impressed and i have to agree. All employees were so friendly and helpful. Place was clean, nice towels, refridgerator in room, and very good restaurants close by. Close to airport, free shuttle service. Quick elevators. We had large crowd and employees were very patient. Only bad thing, no garbage pails! 5 Stars

Room Tip: Suites were nice for children.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Silvana G, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Tampa Airport Westshore, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear Mechg,

We appreciate your review of our property and it is great to hear that you were more than satisfied. We have a passion for customer service here at the Hilton Garden Inn Tampa Westshore and it is very gratifying when the guest feels that during their stay! Please keep us in mind the next time that you travel to Tampa! Silvana G.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Room 311-our 3rd stay here-first two stays recognized as Gold and upgraded both times to Room 724. (Notice my last review was titled “What a Difference between Friday and Saturday” and is possibly why checking in on Saturday was so disappointing unlike the first two stays when we arrived on Friday) This time as Diamond, not only were we NOT recognized as such, we were told when I asked that there were no suites available. I guess there were no higher rooms either in this 7 story hotel since a higher floor is often an upgrade when no better room layouts are available! The woman at front desk was rather cold-it appeared that she was not going to include breakfast coupons with our check-in package until we asked, and then she acted as if nothing happened. Our name was preprinted on the coupon so we would have gotten it anyway, but our room was not so I wonder if a different, more professional and friendly clerk would have upgraded us! I don’t see an advantage of being Diamond and staying at this location. There probably were some suites available, but since we checked in early at 1 pm, they probably weren’t ready to release any, even for a top tier HiltonHonors guest. Great customer service-ha, tell the truth that you are saving some for potential full paying, later arriving guests, which makes sense from a business point of view and give a few drink coupons to compensate for no room upgrade! When I tried to book a room for the same night after we had checked in, there appeared to be 2 King suites and 4 or more suites with 2 queen beds. To their credit, when I tried again around 9pm, the Hilton site showed the hotel as “sold out”. Good for them-hope they didn’t upgrade some first timer to a suite at the basic rate because that’s all they had at 6 pm or later! We weren’t given anything but two bottles of water, and that was an afterthought for the woman at the desk. Some of the Hilton brands (most Hamptons, Homewood Suites, and now add HG to that list) treat the Diamonds no better than the Golds; this is poor judgment by Hilton Corporate when they set their policies.
The room was better than the standard one where we stayed the night before at the HG Riverview/Brandon because there was a sofa instead of a chair(although the chair with ottoman was more comfortable on my feet that using the coffee table with a pillow for my feet while I worked and watched tv), the room was slightly larger, and most importantly, there was a bathtub rather than just a shower! The water pressure was great in the tub/shower, but the sink could use a plunger as it was draining slowly and had a foul, “sewer” smell. We had to cover it up with a plastic bag at night because of the smell! I still find the Hampton Inn beds and pillows to be the best at any Hilton brand, but that’s about all that Hampton Inn has going for it so I will continue to stay at HG because the breakfast with made to order eggs far exceeds even the best Hampton Inn and is the most important factor to me since I like to start the day off with a high protein breakfast. I did finally learn how to adjust the HG dream bed so it was better, but the pillows are still very bulky and uncomfortable. They need to get some longer ones with a little firmness like at most Hampton Inns. The first time we stayed at a Hilton Garden (Orlando airport), the guy somehow thought we were Diamond even though we were still Gold and gave us 4 coupons for drinks and/or appetizers from the restaurant/bar, but in this stay and the one the night before, our first HG stays as actual Diamonds, nothing! When we arrived at 1 pm, the outside parking area was overflowing because many people had taken buses or cabs to the Gasparilla parade (probably a good idea since most drink heavily this weekend) so I hope the car survives in the dirt parking lot. Update: It did without any tire issues or scratches or worse!
I have to note one very big improvement for this hotel-and probably an example for the front desk team, the room upgrades, and parking improvements (pave the field)- was the breakfast. Last time, we had to search out someone in the back of the restaurant, but this time they were properly staffed, and our waitress was fantastic and very friendly (didn’t get her name-oops. ) We both had egg white omelets and then could select our own sides. At the HG Brandon/Riverview, they served the meats and other hot sides so I got too many sausage and not enough bacon. Not here-I was able to choose the quantity that I wanted and not waste anything. I was also provided a side of olive oil for my toast and a large glass of ice water (w/o lemon-see HG Brandon/Riverview review). It was crowded due to a full hotel, but everything appeared to be working much more efficiently this time. Breakfast here is now a 5! The guy (Jonathan, I think) at the front desk as we passed after breakfast seemed much friendlier than the woman on Saturday afternoon. I bet we would have been upgraded if he had checked us in! who knows? I did hear one lady at breakfast talking about being asked to do a review on TripAdvisor. When my partner checked out, he said a different lady was there (than at check-in) and that she recognized the Diamond status, thanked him for the visit, but gave him a card to write a Trip.Advisor review (not good) because they want to be #1. Earn it, don't beg it! I don’t like it when hotels and restaurants solicit reviews.
In summary, we will keep staying at Hilton brands since we have status and do usually receive special treatment, but not always, as this weekend at 2 HG Inns proved. I am giving a 3 for average. I gave the one in Brandon/Riverview a 2 because of some other issues, but I gave this HG a 4 both prior times so this was the worst stay yet here. The one by the Orlando airport and the one we where we stayed in Stuttgart (although I had issues with too many smoking rooms and its location) were much better representations of the HG brand! I will never check in here on a Saturday again as this appears to be the day when the front desk has the most room for improvement. Definitely, a hotel with a 5 potential, but not this visit!

Dear DisneyParis,

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience at our property. It is the feedback from valued guests such as yourself that allow us to improve our service. I apologize for your inconvenience during your stay and I sincerely hope that we will have an opportunity to better serve you in the future. We strive to provide the best service and accomodations to our guests and this is definitely not the impression that we want to leave you with! Thanks again for your time. Silvana G.
Highland, United States
Reviewed 26 January 2014

The rating would have been excellent if the front desk staff knew how to apply cash at check in. Instead a hold was placed on my credit card. The Guest Service Manager did try to release the money by contacting my CC but it was a holiday weekend and nothing could be done. Breakfast was pricey at $11.95 even if you only ate yogurt and some fruit as my wife did. Hotel was clean and comfortable. Free parking in the garage was nice.

Dear John B.,
I thank you for your input so that we may improve our service. I have passed along your comments to the appropriate management team. I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced due to the hold on your card. I also would like to share with you that you can order ala carte in the Coast restaurant without ordering the full buffet. Please know that we have addressed these issues and I hope that we will have another chance to exceed your expectations during a future stay! Silvana G.
Baton Rouge, United States
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Everything about this hotel from arrival to departure was outstanding. The staff were all courteous and professional. The accommodations were relaxing and clean, the amenities were complete, and the value was stellar. I will definitely stay at this hotel if I visit Tampa in the future and recommend it to anyone making a personal or business trip there.

Dear Paul P.

We appreciate your taking the time to share your experiences at our property. We strive to provide the absolute best service and accomodations possible to our valued guests. I hope that we see you again if you happen to travel to Tampa in the future!
Silvana G.
Overland Park, United States
Reviewed 23 January 2014

The hotel and staff exceeded my expectations. It was clean, current and the staff was exceptional. I was pleasantly surprised by how inexpensive the food and drinks were. Hotel was quite and no rowdy unsupervised kids running away. Has a nice business center and fitness center. Close to airport and free shuttle to airport and shooping center

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Dear Tom S,

Sounds like you enjoyed your stay with us! We are so thrilled that you feel this way and if you ever make it back to Tampa we look forward to seeing you again. Silvana G.