“Bad customer service”

Tahitian Inn Hotel Cafe & Spa
Ranked #95 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We were really impressed at first, but during the night our ceiling caved in over the tub. We were told we could shower in the gym.The didnt call a manager, they said she wasn't coming in because it was Sunday. They said we could shower in the gym. They offered us a discount on our room. We were contemplating staying another night in a different room, she said with the discount she could put me in a $75 room. Really? the online price was 85 for the room, really, a $10 discount? wow. They also had trouble with the computers in the breakfast area. We paid up front, so with our discount they ended up having to refund our card. They said that was the final bill, i signed it. Two days later i was charged with my breakfast fee.Very disorganized, and not very good customer service. Im sure they were expecting and waiting for this review to come in. I just feel there is more that could have been done. We could have seriously been hurt. Did we expect a free hotel room, no, we had already paid for it, but we also didnt expect to come to a nice hotel have a ceiling fall in on us, have to shower and get dressed in the gym locker showers, and then not want to inconvenience the manager on her day off work.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Molly S

Reviewed 8 November 2013

The room was large, linoleum tile floors, nice size bathroom but there must've been two water savers on the shower head as a fine mist just sprayed out of it. There is a main building that has two upper floors (which must be the inn) and the rest of the place is a motel. This is where we stayed. There was a pool in the middle of the parking lot, but the management did a decent job with the landscaping. The dining room was very old and needed to be updated. I sunk into my booth and hit rock bottom. Maids did not change toilet paper rolls, one was empty and other low. As we had run out, I had to find a cart to get some more. Soap and shampoo were not replaced. Walls were pretty thin as we heard the lady next door doing a lot of coughing. A/C was loud and didn't cool the room all that well. I've included a picture of the mattress cover and sheets. Sent this pic to our daughters and the comments were "omgggggggggg" and "I just died". All I could think of was that sheet rolling back and sleeping on that nasty mattress cover. Guess that just about sums everything up. Get what you pay for!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We stayed here before our cruise. The hotel and rooms clean wifi worked great and above all the staff no matter what part of hotel you were in was very friendly. The complimentary shuttle to the port was a plus and the driver was very friendly as well. My husband and I agree we would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms in back quiet
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I was expecting the crew from Hotel Impossible to storm through the front door. I was not impressed with the neighborhood, or the cleanliness of the hotel. There was no one to greet us at the front door, and the front desk staff did not wear uniforms. Our room was "dirty" when we went to check in, so we were unable to complete the check in process (they did offer to stow our bags, though) We went to the cafe. The waitress was fantastic and the food was good, but there was a rough looking man sitting in the bar, and the whole area seemed dingy and in need of repair. We booked a different hotel, gathered our bags and moved on.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Maureen C
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I came here for my 30th birthday with my boyfriend last weekend and stayed Friday and Saturday. This is my second time staying here in the last 2 years. I love the feel and look of this hotel. My first time i stayed in the motel part, which was not newly renovated and not as nice as the pictures show on the website. This last trip I stayed in the Queen Executive Suite with a balcony and jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. It was gorgeous!! The balcony overlooked the Koi pond down below and it was nice and clean. The only thing I can say bad about this hotel room was that the AC was very noisy and that the TV was a tube type that looked like it was from the 90's. A flat screen would do wonders for these 140$ a night suites. Also, on Friday when we went to eat lunch at the cafe, it took about 15 minutes for someone to acknowledge that we were sitting and waiting for service. That was my first experience at the restaurant. The food was good but the service was so/so. I also wanted to book a spa package but on the website they state the Spa is closed until further notice for renovations so I booked a spa day somewhere else. Upon checking in, they told me the spa was open. They should probably update the website so they don't continue to lose any business. Over all, its a nice hotel that needs a few tweaks to be an excellent hotel.

Room Tip: Room #239 overlooks the Koi Pond, nice view from the balcony.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights (Sun, Mon, Tues) in mid-August. We did not have reservations and chose this hotel based on proximity to our son's apartment. We stopped in and asked to see one of the interior rooms (Executive) in the main building, as we did not want an exterior room. The room was spacious with a kitchenette and roomy bathroom, and it was very clean and fresh. I loved the tropical decor of our room. I see some folks don't like the tile floors, but that didn't bother us. If we had any complaint with the room, it was with the TV. It was some offbrand flat panel with absolutely horrible sound. A king bed would have been preferable to the queen but it was comfortable enough and we slept well. We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant (not complementary) on 2 mornings and it was very good both days, with excellent and friendly service. One other complaint is that one evening after we had fallen asleep sometime after 11 p.m. the fire alarm went off and stayed on for some time. After quickly dressing we stepped out into the hallway and asked the desk clerk what was going on and she said everything was o.k. but offered no explanation. Upon inquiring the next morning on our way out for the day, the desk clerk said they had fogged the restaurant that evening and she guesses it set off the alarm. All in all, it was a good hotel for our purposes on this particular trip. We will probably choose a hotel in downtown Tampa next time though.

Room Tip: If you haven't pre-booked your reservation, ask to look at the room before you book, so there ar...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2013

The Tahitian In is a charming boutique hotel conveniently located near MacDill AFB. We love staying there because the hotel not only provides attractive, clean, comfortable rooms, but has pool, restaurant and spa facilities and prices are very affordable,

Room Tip: We prefer rooms in the tower, but the cabana rooms are still clean, well appointed and comfortable.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple