“Mom and daughter fun in Tampa”

Tahitian Inn Hotel Cafe & Spa
Ranked #90 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Minnesota
“Mom and daughter fun in Tampa”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Had to write a review after having concerns reading others...
My mom and I stayed one night in the Tahitian Inn for a quick get together before a business trip in the area. I chose the hotel based on price and reviews, knowing that this was not going to be a five star place but probably one with some character instead. We were not disappointed in the least!

Tahitian Inn is clean, the rooms are spacious, and the staff exceptionally friendly and helpful. The shuttle driver picked me up at the airport and drove me directly to the hotel, for free! I arrived quite early in the day and hung out at the pool bar waiting for our room (and for Mom to arrive). Mike took excellent care of us and remembered us later in the evening when we returned after dinner for another glass of wine. The front desk clerk showed me where to store my bags and checked frequently for the availability of my room for me.

The room was very spacious. Two very comfortable queen beds, fridge, microwave. Very clean. As some people have said, the place could maybe use some updating but if it's CLEAN and inexpensive and everyone is friendly how can you complain? Added to the Florida charm a bit, I think. I was a bit concerned that the room would be loud, but we were quite a ways down from the pool. We didn't have any issues with noise. The air conditioner is a bit loud, but I like to have a little background noise to act as white noise anyway so it was fine. The TV has TERRIBLE picture and reception, that would be my only real complaint. And the "free" internet didn't work. Everytime I've stayed somewhere with "free" wifi that's always been the case, however.

The food in the restaurant was suprisingly good (I set the bar pretty low for hotel food). Lots of options and the food was fresh and tasty. We had lunch and breakfast, once at the Tiki bar and once at the patio area off the restaurant.

This was perfect for two girls enjoying each other's company and the surroundings. I would definitely go back when looking for a low key, chill, clean, friendly place in Tampa. Great location too- easy access to freeway and downtown.

Room Tip: Far away from pool if you can
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MNJenRN

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I called to make my reservation and told them that I was going on a cruise and would be using their service to take my family to the port and leave my car there. She said that she would add me to the list for my particular day.

Upon check-in, I was told that the shuttle service was quite full. I mentioned that I previously had arranged it. I was told they could take us only at 9am. ok.. Does anyone know what is going on at a cruise terminal at 9am?? The previous guest are waking up and thinking about getting off the ship! Also at this time, 2 ladies behind the counter starting speaking in NOT ENGLISH. Let's see.. if I am the only other person around.. I would have to assume they are talking about ME! UGH!

After trying to sleep there.. which was nearly impossible because it's exterior coordinators and people running around and yelling all night and the a/c on and off all night... we decide to go to the port on our own. What a waste of $135!

Once we were home from our trip, my daughter realized she left her glasses at this dump. So I called at 7pm on a Sunday night. Amber answered the phone and told me I needed to call back tomorrow after 9am and speak with housekeeping. So I did.. and Amber again answered the phone. This time, she took my name, number and other information and told me she'd call me back. Why on earth could she not have done that the night before??!! She did call me back and they did have the glasses, which were mailed to me at my expense quite quickly. My other issue... if they cleaned my room...why couldn't they have the common sense to call my phone and say "we found glasses, are they yours"?

Terrible service. Terrible noise. Terrible a/c system and goes on and off all night long.
Find somewhere else to stay!!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank kc7294
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Although the hotel has much potential. Clean rooms, the person on reception needs to go to customer care school, her attitude was very surly and unhelpful.
Not at all the friendly welcome we have had from other hotels on our journey through Florida

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Susan1927
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Great location and helpful staff however the rooms look nothing like presented on line. They are large and clean but are in need of updating and a do over. The water was not hot and I could have gotten more water from the rain storm outside. The towels were not large enough to even dry a 2 year old and were in need of replacement. If you are only interested in cost than this is the place for you.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Michael T
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 March 2014

This was a mixed bag for me. Unfortunately the walls of the motel are paper thin, including the exterior walls. I was placed in a room next to a bachelor party. They stood outside their room (outside MY room practically), smoked and talked very loudly. I could hear every single word, as if there wasn't any wall there at all. I was relieved when they left to go out somewhere but of course they returned, loud and drunk, at 3 in the morning and woke me up.

Besides that unpleasantness, the room was clean (mostly) but very plain and not cozy at all. It happened to have been a cold and overcast day when I got there, so I turned the heat/cool unit on to the heat setting. Within seconds, the smell of burning dust was overpowering and the smoke detector started going off. I worried that I would be charged for smoking in my room even though I've never picked up a cigarette in my life. (I wasn't charged and no one called my room to see why the detector was going off.)

The TV was extremely small and I did not enjoy watching it. The free internet did not work.

The positives were that the bed was actually more comfortable than most hotels, I think because it did not have that huge layer of fluffiness that most hotels are going with these days. So besides the incident with the noise from the bachelor party, I did get some sleep.

Also, the bartender in the bar was nice and the restaurant had a good, full menu. And the front desk staff was nice and the cab they called for me came at the right time.

Room Tip: I'm not sure which rooms are quiet (if any). Certainly if you get a room that has a parking spa...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Samson718
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights and we are already planning our next trip back! The tiki bar and pool are very relaxing. Mike was fabulous. He stayed open later for us one night and he brought us food by the pool during the days. He made sure we were always taken care of. The rooms were large and clean. The king bed was so comfortable! By far the best bed and best nights sleep I have ever experienced!! We will be back soon, if not to stay over night atleast to visit the tiki bar and Mike. Perfect location... Can never get bored!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Lynnabigail
Lady Lake, Florida
Reviewed 13 March 2014

This was a pleasant surprise as we made reservations site unseen. Clean and spacious rooms with plenty of amenities. Restaurant, pool, all on site. Super friendly staff. Price is right as well and 15 minutes or so from Downtown Tampa, where you can find a parking lot at $10 a day and take a Trolley or Streetcar to enjoy the city. Definitely a recommend.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for first floor if you need easy access. No elevator.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends