“Horrible buisness practices”

Tahitian Inn Hotel Cafe & Spa
Ranked #98 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My wedding plans were lost, then remade, then lost again. Turning my wedding into a horrible night! Nothing promised was delivered.
To begin, I will say I waited a very long time to write this review. But it has taken this long for me not to burst into tears every time I think about my wedding at the Tahitian Inn. In February my husband and I put our down payment on the facility to have our wedding reception in the restaurant and patio. We gave this down payment to a women named Elisabeth. She quoted me a price that we agreed on and we planned the menu, decor, and seating arrangements.

One month before our reception (November 11, 2013) my now husband received a call from a women saying that she saw our wedding on a calendar but did not know who we were, if we had payed, and what we wanted. She told him we would have to come back to re-negotiate. He stormed down to the inn in a rampage and explained to her this was already taken care of. The story he was told was that Elisabeth quit AND TOOK ALL OF THE WEDDING PLANS FOR EVERYONE WITH HER. So apparently I am not alone in this nightmare. Next thing we know we have to send all of our correspondence to a women named Susie who is ''Kind enough'' to honor our price we were quoted. Up until a few days before the wedding she emails back and forth with me trying to figure out who sits where and who eats what. I send her a seating chart and explained each name plate is color coordinated to their dish choice.

Day of the wedding arrives. We go in an hour before (the time we are allowed) and the only person there IS A BAR TENDER! By the way seating chart is gone, entrees list gone! Also, we are told we can't have 6 to a table, at least 20 of my relatives are shoved in a booth in the back. Now my reception is AN HOUR behind. Also, we are told we can't have 6 to a table, at least 20 of my relatives are shoved in a booth in the back. There goes any grand entrance. I stroll in with tears in my eyes.

Now I find out my hors d'oeuvres are not being butlered...why? No staff. My salads are served before the hors d'oeuvres and when I say something the waitress begins TAKING THEM BACK FROM MY GUESTS! Also, I am gluten free and so is my best man (this was explained multiple times to Elisabeth and Susie), we get croutons! I ask for the salads to be taken back...they come back with the croutons picked out..still crumbs. Both of us get food poisoning that evening. Then when entrees are served no one gets what they ordered even though their name tag SAYS WHAT THEY ORDERED!
By now I am over it!

I will say the bartender (her name tag said ''Toots'') she was not meant to be a wedding planner and did as best she could. She gave me at least two hugs and many drinks to calm me down. I'm pretty sure she got tipped a significant at least 3 times by family.

That night after the fiasco is over my mother-in-laws air conditioner in her room goes out. She gives up and drives home. Oh yeah, one last thing- my husband payed the bill for the night, not my father as asked for...because of a ''credit card mix up''!

My wedding is ruined and it has taken me until now not to get sick to my stomach trying to tell my story. Not to mention when I filed a complained with BBB I got a letter blaiming it all on me.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Patricia V

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We read the reviews and we were aware about the 3 stars and other comments. It was my first time and I have a few likes and dislikes. The A.C was not very good neither was the bed mattress it was too stiff. I didn't sleep very well. But on the other hand the pool and tiki bar was great. Very cozy and Mike the bar host was very nice! the rooms were clean and it was okay for a night stay.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Vania M
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We spent out 22nd Ann here. We got massages. We had an awesome room the king suite. Then it was time to check out. Jean was awesome trying to figure out what went wrong on our bill. The problem called several times to resolve and a rude clerk during the weekend is why I gave a poor rating. It took 3 weeks and several more calls to resolve.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Vinny C
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We had a peaceful and relaxing stay. The hotel, however, is not like the photos. It is more of a 70s style motel. The main section of the hotel where the reception is located, however, has lovely rooms and it appears to be more like a Mexican Inn where I once stayed in Ajijic, Mexico. I believe only 2 of the rooms in that main area of the hotel have 2 queen sized beds. Some of the rooms have balconies. You should call and request those rooms separately if you wish to stay in that section of the hotel.

For the value to be considered very good, the hotel should consider adding a complimentary breakfast. There are so many competing hotels in the Tampa area that include breakfast in the price.

Room Tip: Call the hotel and consider a room in the main house where the reception is located.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Diane G
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Our stay here was less than expected. We were ok with the retro vibe, it was built in 1952, but it needs a lot of maintenance. We were in a suite with a balcony and the balcony doors are really old and need updating. One of the doors had no lock, so it would have been fairly easy for someone to break in. When we asked the reception desk to have it repaired (on the first day) they said they would; but after three days, it still was not. There was no safe in the room so there was no where secure to leave valuables. Our entry door also had issues with the locking mechanism. The beds were quite nice and comfortable but the rest of the suite was very old and dated. Definitely needs some updating. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We loved this place!! They have shuttle service from the airport and also to the cruise terminals. That was a BIG ++ We stayed here both before and after our cruise. Both times we had a big room with a very comfortable King sized bed. One night our room was right by the pool and Tiki bar, but the noise was minimal, another BIG ++ The rooms were very clean with excellent wifi. They have a gym and spa which we didn't have time to try. The cafe on the premises is excellent....lots of locals eat there. Many other good places to eat within walking distance in a very safe area!! The front desk staff was super, especially the young man who checked us in the first night. Greg, the shuttle driver, is an absolute A++++ asset to this hotel. We travel a lot, and he was by far the most courteous, helpful, and entertaining driver we have EVER had. He told us it was a safe area to walk in if we didn't want to eat at the hotel cafe, and pointed out several good restaurants. He arrived at the cruise terminal within 10 minutes of our call when we got back from the cruise and drove us to the airport to pick up a rental car for a business trip we were making that day. We will definitely stay here every time we come to Tampa.

Room Tip: The rooms with King sized beds are very spacious!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Patty P
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Stayed there while attending a conference. The rooms were nice, nothing extravagant, but clean with a comfortable bed and good WiFi. They have breakfast in house, as well as a bar at the pool, so it is certainly up a step from a motel. There is not much in the area, so you will need a car or call a taxi/Uber to go somewhere. Good place for the price, and the employees were nice and courteous.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business