“Interesting to see”
Review of Big Cat Rescue

Big Cat Rescue
Ranked #4 of 197 things to do in Tampa
More attraction details
Owner description: Do you see yourself looking over the vast Serengeti plains, searching the horizon for a glimpse of a pride of Lions, or a Leopard lounging in the trees? Do you imagine yourself in India, riding an elephant through the high grass with your eyes peeled for the elusive Tiger? Have you ever thought how great it would be to hike through the rainforest, listening to the tropical birds, ever on the lookout for a Leopard or an Ocelot high in the canopy? Have you ever been to the zoo and wanted to be closer to the exotic cats; so close you could almost touch them? You don't have to spend tens of thousands of dollars to make these dreams come true. The world's largest accredited big cat rescue facility is right here in Tampa, Florida at Big Cat Rescue.
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We visited Big Cat Rescue and just did the general tour (90 mins) walking tour. It was good, it was nice to see all the animals and learn about them. I thought it was a little repetitive, (there are only so many servals or bobcats you can look at) but it was still interesting.

We did the 3 pm tour and if we went again would choose a different tour/time. It was boiling hot (and therefore uncomfortable walking around for an hour and a half in that heat) so many of the animals were in their shelters and therefore we didn't see them. Much of the route is shaded, but it was still very hot & uncomfortable (NOT BCR's fault!). They did provide a couple of water stations throughout the tour which is a nice feature, you can also take your own or purchase at the gift shop on your way in.

1  Thank OhioUKgirl
There are newer reviews for Big Cat Rescue

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Excellent tour of the sanctuary, given by guides who you can tell really care about the animals here. Tour was supposed to be 90 minutes, went over with no complaints from the guide. We were lucky in that there were too many people for the group leaving at the time of our reservations, so they added a second group which turned out to be just me and my husband and another couple. The animals are beautiful and are kept in a setting which tries to be as close as possible to their natural environment. We did a day tour and it was HOT, so some of the animals were lethargic; you might want to consider the night tour instead. Overall, an excellent experience.

4  Thank janeonlongisland
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I've been wanting to go here for years and my husband and I finally had time to go last week. Since it was summer at 1PM I expected all of the cats to be sleeping, but there were a few that were up and about. My husband and I were disappointed that most of the cats we saw were smaller, though we did get to see two tigers. I loved hearing the back story on the cats. It still amazes me that people actually think that they can have these animals as pets in their backyard. I have always loved big cats so I had a good time, though it got a little boring towards the end. My husband doesn't share my obsession with big cats so he got more bored early on. I do love knowing that the money we spent goes towards caring for the cats. This is definitely worth a visit, though I don't think we'll need to go again.

1  Thank bashleyf
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Had a super private tour. The cats, especially the tigers, are incredible. its amazing to think people believe they can keep them as pets.

1  Thank tim a
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We spent about 2 hours there observing all of the large and small wild cats and it is a history lesson that everyone should learn. The donation was a pleasure and the guide was great... I still can't get over what we saw there!!!

4  Thank Mortyy

Been to Big Cat Rescue? Share your experiences!