“Extremely Disappointed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Motel 6 Tampa Downtown
Ranked #114 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We were in Tampa on a business/pleasure trip with our 2 Golden Retrievers and needed a pet friendly hotel. When we checked in, we were given very poor directions to the room by the front desk clerk and drove around repeatedly until we discovered we were in the courtyard rather than at the back of the hotel as told. (Please have the clerk show location on a map - not that hard! We had been driving for 2 days, so we can follow directions when given properly!) The room itself had a room freshener fragrance with a slight undertone of cat urine. By the middle of the night, the cat smell became much stronger. I told the front desk early in the morning, hoping something would be done about it. We left for a couple of hours and upon our return, we could not even enter the room because of the intense smell, so offensive to our olfactory senses that we had to wait outside for over 15 minutes with the door open just to be able to pack our stuff and GET OUT OF HERE!!!!!!!!!!! We are not overly particular, especially when using pet friendly properties, however this was unacceptable!!! Despite our complaints to the front desk, housekeeper and maintenance man, nothing was done. I was contacted by the Motel 6 chain to rate this hotel and as a result, received a poorly worded form letter from the General Manager, Mirian Moran to which I responded and as of yet, one week later, have not received a reply! Seems typical of the "I don't care" attitude of the property. I have not even broached the topic of questionable types hanging around the property at night!! STAY HERE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We moved to Travelodge Clearwater Central for 4 more nights and enjoyed it immensely! Was worth the drive back and forth to Tampa.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 May 2011

Just Wiki East Tampa and you will get the idea. The curtains are filthy and have quite a few holes in them. It is right next to an expressway and all you hear is traffic 24/7. It isn't within walking distance of anything. If you are female guys are constantly honking their horns at you when you do venture out. What a nightmare

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank BrilliantBrunettte
Reviewed 18 October 2010

Looking for a budget hotel for a weeks stay in Tampa-I pulled in here to check the rates. I was immediately struck by the dirty and worn out appearance of the hotel. I know Motel 6 is not going to be elegant, but this was not even passable. Everything on the outside needed attention, cleaning, refurbishing. The people wandering about looked unsavory and not the type to make you feel safe at this hotel. When I was told they do not take pets at this hotel, I could only laugh--I wouldnt have allowed my dog to stay at this dump anyway---and I cant help but wonder what possible harm a pet could do that hasnt already been done to this awful place. Just down the road are much nicer hotels for comparable prices-go elswhere and save yourself a lot of trouble. The little extra cost int his case is well worth it, This is about the third Motel 6 I have found in a similar condition, and I wonder if the chain in general is going down in attention to things like cleanliness and upkeep. Motel 6 was always no frills, but was clean and respectable-this no longer seems to be the case.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank CaliforniaJacks_man
Reviewed 19 May 2010

Because of national chain recognition I stay at Motel 6 across the country. Usually for the price. THIS Motel 6 on Fowler needs some major attention (this is MY review) everyone may not agree. I stayed at this property for 2 nights my first night I was in Room 277 I immediately notices what appeared to be alot of activity in the parking area and a lot of people aimlessly roaming around. My first concern was my rental car in the parking lot. My second concern was people standing in open doorways watching what was going on ..I went into 277 and the first thing i saw turning on the light was a cockroach run under the TV, then notices a smashed cockroach in the corner of the TV table, then the dirty carpet and the shells of sunflower seeds under the TV table on the floor, the bed looked as though someone had sat on it and the didnt straighten the bedding afterwards. I wanted to leave. The second night I was moved to room 137. This was a little more clean but still very dirty carpet, but my rental car was right outside the door. This motel might be OK if you are single and traveling alone and feel really brave, but even at 53 years old I was very uncomfortable with the surrounding. The management didnt seem to concerned about my compalints. The remark I got was "This is Florida cockroaches are everywhere nothing we can do about it". The better like their roaches alot because they want have guests (or victims) at this rate.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank travelbymike
Reviewed 30 November 2009

Bugs in room, cigarette burns in bedclothes (common at Motel 6 I think, both stays had them – even though no smoking rooms. Bugs too on both occassions).

Had someone outside our room who offered us drugs as we returned to our room, then proceeded to wander around all night offering drugs to everyone. Could hear everything and didn't get much sleep!

The other Motell 6 I stayed in also smelt awful – damp rotton smell.

Cheap – but you can find other motels which are much better value for money. I personally will never stay at a motel 6 again but would rather spend the extra $20 a night for a holiday inn or even a days inn which is a motel too but a much nicer experience overall.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank schween
Reviewed 4 December 2007

This Motel in the last few years has slipped away... But Mid-07 they brought in a new General Manager, he has really shaped the place back in Motel 6 statdards...

Although there is an Adult Bookstore across the street, it does not cause problems. There are some vagrents in the area but i saw them all over Tampa. There prices were great. Didn't have any problem with Front Desk or Housekeeping, both were very helpful and nice...

I will most definatly will stay here again

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank DBarton
Reviewed 6 July 2007

My wife and I are regular Motel 6 customers. We've found that what most Motel 6's lack in amenities, they make up for in price and basic comforts. Since we travel to places to see the places, not stay at the motel, our view has always been that it never hurts to save a few bucks. At least that was our philosophy until this experience.

Motel 6 Tampa downtown is located just off of Rt 275. If it wasn't for the 12 hours we had just spent driving, we probably would have recognized the first hint that there might be a problem with this hotel - the huge adult shop across the street. At the same time, the parking lot had a few folks loitering in the area with shopping carts full of, what appeared to be, their belongings. As we were checking in, we also noticed a young pretty African-American girl in a very skimpy gold lamme bathing suit coming in and out of the lobby. We assumed she was coming from the pool. Exhausted from the trip, we decided things weren't that bad and continued checking in. We unloaded our belongings in the room which was smaller than usual (for a Motel 6), with no dressers for clothing. We "sucked it up," unpacked the best we could and went out to eat.

Upon returning, we got undressed, got ready for sleep and climbed into bed. My wife nearly hit the ceiling as she jumped back out of the bed, having laid in a giant soaking wet spot about two feet in diameter in the center. A sniff of the spot indicated that a previous occupant had urinated in the bed and, apparently, housekeeping had simply put new sheets on top of the spot. I marched to the office to get another room.

I discovered that after 10:00 PM, the lobby door is closed and locked, and the night clerk speaks to people from behind a window of bulletproof glass. Unfortunately, since the area just outside the glass is in an enclosed area full of noisy vending machines, communication with the clerk requires a combination of yelling, hand gestures and a bit of lip reading. I finally got the message across to the desk clerk who looked somewhat annoyed at my having interrupted him in whatever he was doing. After working on a touch screen computer for a few minutes, he finally gave me a door card for a room a few doors down from ours.

Returning to my visibly shaken wife, we quickly transferred all our belongings to the second room. This room had two beds rather than the one bed of our previous room but we figured it was late, and we could get a third room in the morning. Undressing, my wife and I prepared again for bed. My wife pulled back the sheets of her bed then paused. She then asked me what I thought the brown spot on the sheets was. A sniff revealed that the spot was a skid mark (feces, aka "poop"), and still had a bit of smell to it. It was at this point that we decided to find another place as quickly as we could and get out of this hell hole.

We jumped in the car, and drove around for a few blocks until we found and checked into a nearby Super 8 motel (on Fletcher Ave). We highly recommend this hotel. The clerk was very nice, the room was spacious, and the cost was only a few bucks more per day. We returned back to Motel 6, and unloaded the contents of our room back into the car, movie style (fast, furious, and not tidy). We pulled up to the office where we again noticed the cute little girl, still in her skimpy lamme outfit, walking around the building and loitering in the parking lot. "I think that's a working girl," my wife said. "The pool's been closed for hours and all she does is walk around the building over and over again." Looking at the girl a little more closely, I realized my wife was right.

I went back to the bulletproof window and explained to the still annoyed desk clerk that the second room was also soiled and we wanted to cancel our two week reservation and leave. While I was waiting to get my refund (my wife was waiting out in the car) the cute working girl came in to get a soda from one of the vending machines. Overhearing my complaints to the clerk she struck up a conversation with me. She was very understanding and sympathetic as she explained to me that they were usually pretty good about cleaning the sheets at the motel. She agreed that our experiences were terrible and wished me luck before heading back out to the parking lot to look for more clients. After about 15 minutes at the computer and credit card terminal, the clerk finally gave us some paperwork back, indicating our card had been charged back. He apologized for the inconvenience and we left.

Friends of ours who live in the area later told us that this hotel sits in Tampa's "sex district" and is a notorious "service center." As for our experience, the entire night was like something out of a bad movie. If there was a rating worse than "terrible" we would give this hotel that distinction in nearly every category. The exception would be in customer service, where I would award a "two." While the desk clerk was rather sour throughout our entire ordeal, the hotel hooker was very nice. The hotel should give her a raise.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9  Thank KungfuGnome
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tampa
La Quinta Inn & Suites USF (Near Busch Gardens)
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens
Extended Stay America - Tampa - North - USF - Attractions
Hyatt Place Busch Gardens
West Wing Boutique Hotel
West Wing Boutique Hotel
#28 of 163 in Tampa
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Tampa North - Busch Gardens

Been to Motel 6 Tampa Downtown? Share your experiences!