“Nice Weekend Getaway Option”
Review of Westin Tampa Bay

Westin Tampa Bay
Ranked #45 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Reviewed 26 December 2012

I stayed here with some girlfriends for a wedding in May 2012, and thought it was a great, relaxing place to stay for a mini-vacation. The beds and showers in the room were just fantastic (double shower heads were a nice perk). The full service Starbucks in the lobby was great, and it was nice to be able to take your coffee out onto the patio facing the water. While the little "beach" is nothing to write home about, it was a convenient option if you don't have time to drive to the beach. There's also a really pretty rooftop deck on which you can get an excellent view of Tampa. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank teedee12
There are newer reviews for Westin Tampa Bay

Reviewed 14 December 2012

The best sleep I have gotten, ever!! The best are just heavenly with tons of pillows. The bathrooms are nice and clean. Over all the hotels decor is clean lines, modern and classy. The staff was very helpful and found us a room during a very busy weekend. I like the location because it's not in the spring breakers area, but still close to the airport and close to restaurants and attractions. Most of all the beds are the best part, I want to go back just to take a nap. ;)

Room Tip: King suite!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Khloe K
Reviewed 6 December 2012

The hotel is relatively new with comfortable beds and a spacious modern bathroom. The hotel was 10 minutes from the airport in an area of office parks with not much else around the hotel.The hotel does have a little beach with chaise lounges where you can work on your tan. It is 20 minutes from downtown Tampa. However,it is well-situated on Route 60 if you have a car and want to drive to Sarasota, St. Petersburg or Clearwater Beach. If you do not have a car a complimentary shuttle takes you to the International Mall and the airport but not downtown or to the cruise terminal. We had a Club Room which came with free access to the 15th floor lounge. The lounge served fruit, cereal and eggs for breakfast. The lounge served light snacks and drinks at dinnertime. If you want to be in Tampa this hotel is on the outskirts.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TandLtravel
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2012

Dear bespoketravel,

Please allow me this opportunity to thank you for being our guest and for taking the time to share your thoughts honestly and objectively. It is only through comments, such as yours, that enable us to achieve our goal of delivering service that is nothing short of personal and instinctive. Your comments and loyalty are valued and we hope that you stay with us and all Westins when given the opportunity.
Regards, Ron, General Manager

Reviewed 28 November 2012

I saw some of reviews and they were not that great but I thought this was an excellent hotel. Yes it is in an isolated area but most of all of the hotels near the airport are off the beaten path. The room was very nice with comfortable beds. But I must say the bathroom was the best ever. It had a walk in shower with a separate bathtub. I loved the size of the bathroom. We had a room overlooking the bay. I stayed with a family member and two friends and it was great. My friend stayed for two nights and loved it. We all stayed there before the cruise. There is a small beach with lounge chairs. The staff was great. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank tch912
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2012

Dear tch912,

I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us and for your kind words. We strive to achieve a level of service that is truly personal and insticntive and I am pleased to see that we achieved our goal and that the service was great!! Many of our guests of our guests agree with and also express their appreciation for the overall comfort and size of the bathroom. We look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again and please keep us in mind when traveling to Tampa for business, pleasure or your next cruise pre-departure location.

Regards,
Ron

Reviewed 26 November 2012

Let me start off by saying this... The hotel itself is very nice, the rooms were clean, the staff that we dealt with was pleasant. BUT... I toured the hotel to accomidate guests for my wedding across the street at the Rusty Pelican, and although a cousin of mine recommended the Hyatt down the road, which was the same price, I chose the Westin because I liked the look and decor. I dealt with the events manager of the hotel to block my rooms, which were blocked in incriments of 10. Dayana sent me updated lists of hotel guests that had booked every few weeks, but I had a terrible time when two people told me that no rooms were available anymore since my block was up. I had to email and call to get the next set of 10 rooms available, and the block itself expired one month before my actual wedding date. Being that I have been to over 5 weddings in this past year, and also having one myself, I think this is a bit odd, as a lot of times people do not decide to stay at the close hotel until last minute (my wedding was in my hometown, not many out of town guests). Also, my invites didn't even go out until 7 weeks before my wedding, which left about 2 weeks for people to decide to book. I had two people have to pay full price for their room, and also had 4 other people tell me that they tried but the regular priced room was not something they could swing. ($99 vs $149).

I was also told in the beginning that the hotel suites do not tend to fill, but the ONLY way to guarantee a suite to be available to me by 12 PM on Saturday to allow me to get ready with my girls in, was to book the suite the night before the wedding as well as night of, basically forcing me to pay $800 to them for a room. I kept the suite in my name until one day before the wedding, and my groom ended up only needing a small room to stay in on the night before the wedding, due to the fact one of our groomsmen had a baby the night before, and leaving him with only 4 total people, and not needing the space of a suite. We cancelled the suite to save us close to $400 additional dollars and utilized a regular room. When I arrived at 11 AM on Saturday, I was told the suite ended up occupied, but the occupants were already out, and the front desk girl assured me that we would be in there in no time - an hour to hour and a half. No big deal, but I was thankful that I had family with standard rooms that were ready (well, 2 out of 3 of them, which I was told the hotel was "sold out", when in fact, I could book a room on Friday morning) due to the fact that I needed to get ready somewhere with hair and makeup artists arriving at 12 and bridesmaids to follow. After two calls to the front desk, we finally got into the room at 1:45 PM, and had to situate all my luggage, girls, and dress for my 5 PM wedding. It was chaotic and hectic.

Then to top off everything, after booking 17 rooms total for the weekend, I got a small thank you card. No other discounts on the suite or the additional room I had Friday, and paid close to $408 for a one night stay in a suite, with parking, in addition to the one night stay Friday for the groomsmen at $150 bucks with parking. When asked about all the charges for parking and the rooms, I was met with "You needed to book 20 rooms for a free suite night" - fine and dandy, but wouldn't you think you could have at least comped something, parking or even half of my first night stay in the regular room? Mind you, the groomsmen spent money in the bar Friday, my guests spent money in the bar Saturday, and even myself Saturday night spent money in the bar...

I understand that these may be a Westin policy, so I don't blame the hotel fully, just think more should be done for a party that brings at least $2000, probably more with parking and drinks, into the hotel. Just wanted to give any Rusty Pelican Brides a heads up... if you have a wedding party that isn't going to book 20 plus rooms, don't expect any special treatment from the Westin, aside from a small discount up front and a push for AQUA. (Which by the way, had great drinks, but this is not worth the headache)

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Jessica N,
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your concerns and I am very pleased to hear the you found the Westin to be very nice, the rooms clean and the Staff pleasant. There seems to have been some confusion with the guest room block, for which I do apologize, and how it pertains to the complimentary suite for the Bride and Groom. As you stated, there is a minimum guest room pick up of 20 room nights required in order for the Bride and Groom to receive the Honeymoon Suite on a complimentary basis. You also stated that only a total of 17 room nights had actualized. Also, the standard check in time is 3pm at most hotels, so Dayana was correct in telling you that the only way to guarantee a "get ready" room for Saturday morning would have been to make and then keep your suite reservation for Friday night and your rate would not have been any where near $800 in fact it would have been $349, plus tax. I wish that we could have gotten your Bridesmaids into the room earlier, but I am also glad to see that we did manage to get them in at 1:45pm and before the normal check in time.
Once again, I apologize for any confusion that may have taken place during your very special day and rest assured that we take great pride in all Wedding Bridal Parties that we host including those coming to us from the Rusty Pelican and many other freat venues in and around the Tampa Bay Area.

Regards,
Ron

Reviewed 24 November 2012

Stayed at this hotel pre-cruise as this was the best deal in the Tampa area. The deal was a reduced rate that was pre-paid, which means that as soon as you reserve it, there is no way to cancel without penalty. More on that later.
The hotel itself was nice. Close to the airport. The room and bathroom were clean. The valet and front desk staff were friendly. As platinum SPG members we got upgraded to the club floor and had access to the club lounge. Location is about 15 - 20 minutes from Chanelside and Ybor City. We had rented a car so getting around Tampa was not an issue. If you don't have a car, there aren't many options around the hotel for anything really. The hotel is off of a major causeway but it seemed to be mostly a business area.
Back to the cancelation piece - about 2 weeks prior to our stay, I tried to cancel our reservation. We had a family issue and staying in Tampa was turning out to not be the best option for us, and staying there was becoming stressful. So, I called SPG and was told that it was up to the manager at the hotel as to whether or not we could cancel. The SPG rep called the hotel while I was on the line but a manager was not available. I was told to call back and speak with a manager regarding my request. I called back later, and spoke with Justin. I explained the situation and asked to speak with a manager. Justin instead put me on hold and then came back and told me that I could not cancel the reservation. He never specified who it was he spoke with. I called SPG back and asked for further assistance. SPG sent an email to the hotel, asking them to contact me. I also sent an email to 3 managers at the hotel that are listed on their website - Dayana Chalmers, Rachel Tielsch, and Jennifer Nagy, asking them to contact me. After more than a day without any response, I called SPG back. The SGP rep called the hotel while I was put on hold. The SPG rep stated that she spoke with Blake, a manger at the hotel, who stated that our request to cancel the reservation could not be accommodated and that he was actually in the middle of sending me an email regarding this. I thought, great! Something from a manager in writing since I haven't been able to speak with one. No such email appeared. I called the hotel and asked to speak with Blake. I got put into someone else's voice mail and left a message asking for a call back. No return call was received. While I understand that my request could not be accommodated, I have come to expect a higher level of service from SPG hotels, particularly management. I've always received a response from a hotel manager when contacted, especially when it is through email.
While this was a nice hotel, I was disappointed at the lack of response received after numerous attempts to contact management. There are plenty of other SPG hotels to choose from in the Tampa area.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sginmd
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2012

Dear sginmd,
Please allow me this opportunity to thank you for staying with us prior to your cruise and for taking the time to share your experience. I am pleased to hear that you found our hotel to be nice and clean and our staff friendly. We are close to the aiport, as you stated, and we are also very close to two major malls, an AMC movie theatre as well as countless restaurants. They are all within 2 miles of the hotel and we do provide 24 hour complimentary shuttle for those who choose not to rent a car while visiting us. You purchased a prepaid non-refundable reservation which enables us to offer such a low room rate. I apologize for the lack of response from the managers that you named and it is highly unlike any of them not to respond. However, I have met with each of them to discuss your concerns in hopes of eliminating a similar breaakdown in communucation going forward. Once again, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and hopefully the cruise as well, and want you to know that we appreciate your loyalty and hope that you will stay with us in the furure. Regards, Ron, General Manager

Reviewed 20 November 2012

I look at all of the Starwood hotels in Tampa Bay and this was the best option. The hotel is located close to the airport is near international plaza mall and has easy access to the main intersections. There is a ton of parking and the valet is the same price as the self parking option.

The suites in the hotel are very spacious with a nice view. The beds are very comfortable and there are standard westin amenities.

The club lounge at the hotel was horrible! The food selection was minimal and other than to go up and get a bottle of water, I would suggest skipping it. The "breakfast" option at Starbucks was one drip coffee, one juice and a pastry.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Scott1734

Dear Scott1734,
Thank you for your comments and for choosing the Westin Tampa Bay. I apologize if you found our Club Lounge unacceptable and comments such as yours certainly do help us to focus on those areas where we need to improve. Since you mention Starbucks, I am curious to know if you you were aware that we also have a full service restaurant which is named AQUA and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. If you were not aware, then we certainly need to do a better job of making that information known to all of our guests. Thank you again for taking the time and we hope that you will give us another chance in the foreseeable future. Regards, Ron, General Manager.