“This hotel is an embarressment to the Westin brand.”
Review of Westin Tampa Bay

Westin Tampa Bay
Ranked #40 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Ottawa, Canada
“This hotel is an embarressment to the Westin brand.”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

This is one of the hotels located near the Laser Spine Institute. The budget choices are the Hilton Double Tree and Sailport Suites. The more upscale choices are the Tampa Bay Westin and Grand Hyatt. These latter two are similarly priced but never, ever consider the Westin. It is one of the worst hotels we have ever stayed in. The Grand Hyatt (which we moved to, is one of the best). Some of our problems at the Westin

-Internet service, for which they charge a fee, does not work. We had to ask for help every day of our stay. At the end, when we talked to their provider, the problem was clear. The hotel refused to pay for sufficient band width to handle the hotels level of traffic.

-The Restaurant was a jock. See separate review of Aqua.

-Room service does not have heated carts. After surgery I had to use room service. Eventually, I just stopped ordering anything that was supposed to be hot - At best, it would arrive at room temperature.

-Typically in the evenings, there was no hot water

-We had to dispute our bill every day. We had two computers and, despite their policy of allowing 3 devices per charge, we were repeatedly billed every time we connected a device. Similarly, we informed both the front desk and the doorman that we were returning our rental car. Parking charges continued to be added to the bill.

-After surgery, there were only certain times of the day when housekeeping could be arranged. The hotel never managed to get this right.

This hotel has some concerned employees who make a sincere effort to provide good service. However, I do not believe we have ever encountered a hotel that was so incompetently managed.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
8 Thank byrddawg
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Byrddawg,

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of the numerous problems which you encountered during your recent stay with us. On behalf of our entire Staff and Management team, I would like to sincerely apologize and assure you that the quality of service that you received is by no means typical of the level that we work very hard to achieve every day. I will not insult you by providing explanations or making excuses, but only reassure you that your comments have been taken constructively and they will help us to continue to improve. Hopefully, you will consider giving us another opportunity to show you that our guest is our number one priority.
Be well,
Ron

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Nairobi
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Nice hotel located near the airport. Nothing nearby but there is a shuttle. Nice rooms though average size. Reasonable breakfast. Internet charged separately and is very slow. Not good. Nice staff and nice cardio machines.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Hello Stokels,

Your comments are very much appreciated and your kind words have been shared with the rest of our team. We are happy to hear that you found our location to be convenient and hope that you will have a chance to visit us again in the near future.We are trying to improve the speed of our WiFi but the problem appears to be an excessive amount of video/movie streaming and gaming which is using up too much bandwidth. However, we have found a solution and will be correcting it soon.
Regards,
Baltimore
Reviewed 2 March 2014

The hotel staff was very helpful and attentive. The room was great. Unfortunately, they were having hot water problems during my stay. There was only luke warm water and the hotel could only tell me that they were working on it. I was very disappointed as I really wanted a hot shower before I started the next leg of my business trip.

The hotel is very close to the Tampa airpot and a great mall with a lot of great restaurants. It is a great property.

I am rating as a bad value because I paid the equivalent of two nights at another hotel and I did not have hot water.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear MJR3Baltimore,
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay and I would like to apologize for the problem that you had with hot water. We realize that a comfortable shower is a very important part of your overall stay, however the situation that occurred was completely unavoidable and we called an emergence crew in immediately and they had it corrected within the hour. Regardless, a few guestrooms were effected and sadly yours was one of them. I am sorry for your incovenience and can assure you that this was an isolated incident. Hopefully you will give us another chance and please feel free to contact me directly to set up your reservations.
Be well,
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 1 March 2014

First time staying at this hotel. Need to first say that I stayed using Starwood points; so it was free...usually you can't beat free. First the good; this hotel is out in the bay...so water views (assuming you have a view - more about that below) on all sides. There's a Starbucks off the lobby and the hotel has a nice Bar as well. The rooms are Westin nice...although my wife complained that the bed was too hard to be called a "Westin Heavenly Bed". The room itself was standard, clean, nice TV, etc.. Near the elevator - but still quiet. The one thing....and the main reason for the 3 (versus a 4) rating was the "window/view" in the room (room 812 - see the attached picture). One of the smallest windows I've ever seen in a hotel room - and I travel all the time for work. Ironically....I guess that's the word...the hotel has a curtain covering all of the blank wall....when we first walked into the room, I actually thought the window was much larger and just covered by the curtain....which, I guess is the idea. What a shame, given the potential views of the ocean/city. I probably shouldn't complain...at least there was a window and, since we were on the 8th floor - there was no view of a dumpster. Plus, I did mention it was free.

Room Tip: Don't get excited when you get a room on the 8th floor...it's essentially the floor above th...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike M
West Coast, USA
Reviewed 1 March 2014

My husband and I stopped for the night on our way overseas. We arrived late and got the free shuttle to the hotel at 11:00 pm. The front desk was super helpful, room service was available and friendly, the beds were comfy ( as usual). I had a few quibbles in the morning with the restaurant hostess who insisted I couldn't order breakfast but had to eat their (2 star) breakfast buffet. But when I went to the front desk asking for a restaurant recommendation for breakfast, the front desk person marched back to the restaurant and arranged to get me fabulous service AND a fabulous meal. She made my morning and I was thrilled at the outcome. The concierge also printed all my boarding passes without a fuss and we hopped the free shuttle back to the airport.

Altogether an pleasant and uneventfully stay, the way it should be.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does NOT overlook the noisy causeway if you want peace and quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 February 2014

First class service right from the beginning. I hadn't been in Tampa in awhile and the Front Desk person was very helpful in recommending a local restaurant. Immediately surprised at the reasonable parking rate of only $5. I had just paid $25 at another hotel in Orlando. The room was fine. The bed was great. I had a drink outside the bar overlooking the water. Really nice.
Worked out in the gym in the morning. While not fancy it was fine. (Only downside no free weights.) Went to their in-house Starbucks before leaving. Again, good service. I definitely will be staying at this hotel in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank David K
kissimmee
Reviewed 22 February 2014

If you are planning on booking a stay at this hotel DO NOT book through there site, they are a complete rip off.
First of all I went to there site, put in the information (dates,how many adults/kids) it directs you to a page for booking, the first result was fine 2 double beds, so continued to book and booking was made. The next morning not even 12 hours later my son falls ill, I call them immediately and ask if i can change the date, I was told no as this rate is a fixed rate and non refundable - the person on the phone told me A Special rate, this is not correct i am a FL resident and that rate is $ 20 less and you can change/cancel at any time without any penalty. Since our stay was not for another 3 days I thought we may be able to go if my son gets better but no my other two children and husband got sick.. I gave them notice and begged and pleaded even to just change the date the answer is no, funny I received an email stating that the website is confusing and it lists the non refundable one first, why would I want that first I would rather pay more and be able to cancel/change than to pay less and something happens where me and my family are not able to go. This Place is A BIG BIG rip off, it is so unethical that they can do this I will NEVER book a stay, I understand they may of held the room, but I called no more than 12 hours just to change it, so now they are up $200.00 its robbery.. go stay somewhere else because god forbid you or a family member falls ill they will just pocket the money... SCAMMERS

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family