“Would not stay here again!”
Review of Westin Tampa Bay

Westin Tampa Bay
Ranked #40 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Would not stay here again!”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Check-in was a nightmare. I have stayed in Westin's and (many other hotels) all over and this is the worst experience I've ever had. Dinner at Aqua (hotel restaurant) was very nice with good service. We knew it would be expensive, but didn't feel like leaving after our fiasco at the front desk. We stayed two nights and housekeeping didn't come (I've NEVER had this happen) and we were gone all day. Then we ordered room service that night that took an hour and fifteen minutes when service express said 4o minutes or less (the food was good). I called for our car from the valet the morning of departure, but the valet guy never got the message. Anyway, it's not at all worth the price or the amount of points!!!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Dsmile30
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your recent and less than pleasant stay, I would like to sincerely apologize for our shortcomings and I can honestly assure you that based upon your feedback, steps have been taken to guarantee there will not be a repeat experience as the one you encountered. It is only through comments such as yours that we are able to continue to improve until we achieve our goal of 100% satisfaction for every guest every time. Thank you again and I hope that you will consider giving us another chance to prove ourselves.
Stay well,
Ron

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

I was looking forward to an upscale overnight stay while my bf and I were in town for a NYY spring training game. I've stayed in Westin's before and thought they were all very nice until now. The lobby was nice but I was very disappointed by the room. Yes, it had nice stuff and was clean but the presentation was surprisingly sloppy. It's like buying expensive linens and then leaving them in a messy pile to wrinkle before putting them out on the guest bed. (That is more of an analogy for the room as a whole.) It just didn't make sense to me that a westin would allow it to be that way. Plus, there was an open can of soda in the mini bar (gross!) and alcohol was missing. I expected WAY more from a Westin. The only reason I am not giving this hotel a poor rating is because the staff was extremely pleasant and helpful.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Allow me this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share both your compliments and concerns regarding your recent visit with us. It is great to hear that you enjoyed and appreciated certain aspects of your stay. However it appears that we fell short in some others. Those areas have been addressed and thanks to your feedback we will be able to make the necessary corrections. Although we strive to be perfect in every aspect of our goal to provide personal and instinctive service for every guest there are times when do not meet all expectations. Please accept my apologies for any area where you may have been underwhelmed and hopefully you will give us another chance.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 17 March 2014

This is one of the hotels located near the Laser Spine Institute. The budget choices are the Hilton Double Tree and Sailport Suites. The more upscale choices are the Tampa Bay Westin and Grand Hyatt. These latter two are similarly priced but never, ever consider the Westin. It is one of the worst hotels we have ever stayed in. The Grand Hyatt (which we moved to, is one of the best). Some of our problems at the Westin

-Internet service, for which they charge a fee, does not work. We had to ask for help every day of our stay. At the end, when we talked to their provider, the problem was clear. The hotel refused to pay for sufficient band width to handle the hotels level of traffic.

-The Restaurant was a jock. See separate review of Aqua.

-Room service does not have heated carts. After surgery I had to use room service. Eventually, I just stopped ordering anything that was supposed to be hot - At best, it would arrive at room temperature.

-Typically in the evenings, there was no hot water

-We had to dispute our bill every day. We had two computers and, despite their policy of allowing 3 devices per charge, we were repeatedly billed every time we connected a device. Similarly, we informed both the front desk and the doorman that we were returning our rental car. Parking charges continued to be added to the bill.

-After surgery, there were only certain times of the day when housekeeping could be arranged. The hotel never managed to get this right.

This hotel has some concerned employees who make a sincere effort to provide good service. However, I do not believe we have ever encountered a hotel that was so incompetently managed.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
8 Thank byrddawg
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Byrddawg,

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of the numerous problems which you encountered during your recent stay with us. On behalf of our entire Staff and Management team, I would like to sincerely apologize and assure you that the quality of service that you received is by no means typical of the level that we work very hard to achieve every day. I will not insult you by providing explanations or making excuses, but only reassure you that your comments have been taken constructively and they will help us to continue to improve. Hopefully, you will consider giving us another opportunity to show you that our guest is our number one priority.
Nairobi
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Nice hotel located near the airport. Nothing nearby but there is a shuttle. Nice rooms though average size. Reasonable breakfast. Internet charged separately and is very slow. Not good. Nice staff and nice cardio machines.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Hello Stokels,

Your comments are very much appreciated and your kind words have been shared with the rest of our team. We are happy to hear that you found our location to be convenient and hope that you will have a chance to visit us again in the near future.We are trying to improve the speed of our WiFi but the problem appears to be an excessive amount of video/movie streaming and gaming which is using up too much bandwidth. However, we have found a solution and will be correcting it soon.
Regards,
Baltimore
Reviewed 2 March 2014

The hotel staff was very helpful and attentive. The room was great. Unfortunately, they were having hot water problems during my stay. There was only luke warm water and the hotel could only tell me that they were working on it. I was very disappointed as I really wanted a hot shower before I started the next leg of my business trip.

The hotel is very close to the Tampa airpot and a great mall with a lot of great restaurants. It is a great property.

I am rating as a bad value because I paid the equivalent of two nights at another hotel and I did not have hot water.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear MJR3Baltimore,
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay and I would like to apologize for the problem that you had with hot water. We realize that a comfortable shower is a very important part of your overall stay, however the situation that occurred was completely unavoidable and we called an emergence crew in immediately and they had it corrected within the hour. Regardless, a few guestrooms were effected and sadly yours was one of them. I am sorry for your incovenience and can assure you that this was an isolated incident. Hopefully you will give us another chance and please feel free to contact me directly to set up your reservations.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 1 March 2014

First time staying at this hotel. Need to first say that I stayed using Starwood points; so it was free...usually you can't beat free. First the good; this hotel is out in the bay...so water views (assuming you have a view - more about that below) on all sides. There's a Starbucks off the lobby and the hotel has a nice Bar as well. The rooms are Westin nice...although my wife complained that the bed was too hard to be called a "Westin Heavenly Bed". The room itself was standard, clean, nice TV, etc.. Near the elevator - but still quiet. The one thing....and the main reason for the 3 (versus a 4) rating was the "window/view" in the room (room 812 - see the attached picture). One of the smallest windows I've ever seen in a hotel room - and I travel all the time for work. Ironically....I guess that's the word...the hotel has a curtain covering all of the blank wall....when we first walked into the room, I actually thought the window was much larger and just covered by the curtain....which, I guess is the idea. What a shame, given the potential views of the ocean/city. I probably shouldn't complain...at least there was a window and, since we were on the 8th floor - there was no view of a dumpster. Plus, I did mention it was free.

Room Tip: Don't get excited when you get a room on the 8th floor...it's essentially the floor above th...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike M
West Coast, USA
Reviewed 1 March 2014

My husband and I stopped for the night on our way overseas. We arrived late and got the free shuttle to the hotel at 11:00 pm. The front desk was super helpful, room service was available and friendly, the beds were comfy ( as usual). I had a few quibbles in the morning with the restaurant hostess who insisted I couldn't order breakfast but had to eat their (2 star) breakfast buffet. But when I went to the front desk asking for a restaurant recommendation for breakfast, the front desk person marched back to the restaurant and arranged to get me fabulous service AND a fabulous meal. She made my morning and I was thrilled at the outcome. The concierge also printed all my boarding passes without a fuss and we hopped the free shuttle back to the airport.

Altogether an pleasant and uneventfully stay, the way it should be.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does NOT overlook the noisy causeway if you want peace and quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple