Westin Tampa Bay
SailportSuites.com
US$616
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsaqua restaurantprivate beachindoor poolseparate tubfront deskclose to the airportheavenly bedthe club loungebahama breezeself parkingroom servicebeautiful hotelinternational plaza mallbusiness travelminute drivefitness centershuttle service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I am a Starwood Platinum member. As a SWP you are supposed to be guaranteed a room. What they don't tell you is that when they will give you a room but charge you a ridiculous rate to get that room so in reality...the fact that you have probably spent thousands of dollars to get a Platinum status means they can just charge you more.
I had made a reservation for 2 nights and had to extend it to 2 more. They claimed to be oversold but then miraculously found me a room and wanted to charge me $500.00 per night for the extra 2 nights. I reminded them that they were located in Tampa and not New York City and asked to speak to a manager. Scott, the assistant manager took the call and basically told me he didn't care and said he'd leave a message for his GM to call me back. I explained that I have just opened a business in Tampa and would like to develop a relationship with the property because I enjoy Westins.
I called Starwood's help line to talk to them and they were not so happy about what was happening and requested a better rate but the GM not only refused but never called back either the fellow at Starwood or me. Starwood felt so stupid about this that they gave me 11,500 points.

If the service is this terrible before you get there...imagine what it's like when you're there. This hotel will never see a dime from me.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank m S
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Check-in was a nightmare. I have stayed in Westin's and (many other hotels) all over and this is the worst experience I've ever had. Dinner at Aqua (hotel restaurant) was very nice with good service. We knew it would be expensive, but didn't feel like leaving after our fiasco at the front desk. We stayed two nights and housekeeping didn't come (I've NEVER had this happen) and we were gone all day. Then we ordered room service that night that took an hour and fifteen minutes when service express said 4o minutes or less (the food was good). I called for our car from the valet the morning of departure, but the valet guy never got the message. Anyway, it's not at all worth the price or the amount of points!!!!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Dsmile30
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your recent and less than pleasant stay, I would like to sincerely apologize for our shortcomings and I can honestly assure you that based upon your feedback, steps have been taken to guarantee there will not be a repeat experience as the one you encountered. It is only through comments such as yours that we are able to continue to improve until we achieve our goal of 100% satisfaction for every guest every time. Thank you again and I hope that you will consider giving us another chance to prove ourselves.
Stay well,

Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

I was looking forward to an upscale overnight stay while my bf and I were in town for a NYY spring training game. I've stayed in Westin's before and thought they were all very nice until now. The lobby was nice but I was very disappointed by the room. Yes, it had nice stuff and was clean but the presentation was surprisingly sloppy. It's like buying expensive linens and then leaving them in a messy pile to wrinkle before putting them out on the guest bed. (That is more of an analogy for the room as a whole.) It just didn't make sense to me that a westin would allow it to be that way. Plus, there was an open can of soda in the mini bar (gross!) and alcohol was missing. I expected WAY more from a Westin. The only reason I am not giving this hotel a poor rating is because the staff was extremely pleasant and helpful.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Allow me this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share both your compliments and concerns regarding your recent visit with us. It is great to hear that you enjoyed and appreciated certain aspects of your stay. However it appears that we fell short in some others. Those areas have been addressed and thanks to your feedback we will be able to make the necessary corrections. Although we strive to be perfect in every aspect of our goal to provide personal and instinctive service for every guest there are times when do not meet all expectations. Please accept my apologies for any area where you may have been underwhelmed and hopefully you will give us another chance.
Be well,

Reviewed 17 March 2014

This is one of the hotels located near the Laser Spine Institute. The budget choices are the Hilton Double Tree and Sailport Suites. The more upscale choices are the Tampa Bay Westin and Grand Hyatt. These latter two are similarly priced but never, ever consider the Westin. It is one of the worst hotels we have ever stayed in. The Grand Hyatt (which we moved to, is one of the best). Some of our problems at the Westin

-Internet service, for which they charge a fee, does not work. We had to ask for help every day of our stay. At the end, when we talked to their provider, the problem was clear. The hotel refused to pay for sufficient band width to handle the hotels level of traffic.

-The Restaurant was a jock. See separate review of Aqua.

-Room service does not have heated carts. After surgery I had to use room service. Eventually, I just stopped ordering anything that was supposed to be hot - At best, it would arrive at room temperature.

-Typically in the evenings, there was no hot water

-We had to dispute our bill every day. We had two computers and, despite their policy of allowing 3 devices per charge, we were repeatedly billed every time we connected a device. Similarly, we informed both the front desk and the doorman that we were returning our rental car. Parking charges continued to be added to the bill.

-After surgery, there were only certain times of the day when housekeeping could be arranged. The hotel never managed to get this right.

This hotel has some concerned employees who make a sincere effort to provide good service. However, I do not believe we have ever encountered a hotel that was so incompetently managed.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
8  Thank Dawg_Lover1
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Byrddawg,

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of the numerous problems which you encountered during your recent stay with us. On behalf of our entire Staff and Management team, I would like to sincerely apologize and assure you that the quality of service that you received is by no means typical of the level that we work very hard to achieve every day. I will not insult you by providing explanations or making excuses, but only reassure you that your comments have been taken constructively and they will help us to continue to improve. Hopefully, you will consider giving us another opportunity to show you that our guest is our number one priority.
Be well,

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Nice hotel located near the airport. Nothing nearby but there is a shuttle. Nice rooms though average size. Reasonable breakfast. Internet charged separately and is very slow. Not good. Nice staff and nice cardio machines.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Hello Stokels,

Your comments are very much appreciated and your kind words have been shared with the rest of our team. We are happy to hear that you found our location to be convenient and hope that you will have a chance to visit us again in the near future.We are trying to improve the speed of our WiFi but the problem appears to be an excessive amount of video/movie streaming and gaming which is using up too much bandwidth. However, we have found a solution and will be correcting it soon.
Regards,