“Don't waste your $”

Ranked #23 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Jacksonville, Florida
“Don't waste your $”
Reviewed 3 July 2012

This hotel does not qualify as 4-stars. The entire room was wired by electric extension cords (that are in plain view), The electric socket was separated from the lamp and I took this as a clear indication not to use it, the carpet in the room was filthy (unfortunately the dark gray color doesn’t hide the stains), the electric sun visor in the room wasn’t completely operable (only closed ½ way through). There were major cleaning issues (water spots on the ceiling and the elevators doors full of hand prints. My boyfriend and I requested to have an early check in (2:00 instead of 3:00). We entered our room to relax after our long drive and immediately left. We contemplated getting another hotel room but decided to just enjoy the city and return later to sleep. I spoke with another visitor in the elevator and asked her if her room was up to standard (in hopes that maybe, exchanging rooms because we received a bad one), she replied by saying “not at all, I’m very disappointed. I’ve seen better rooms at the Days Inn” and she is right. The only thing 4-star about the room was the bathroom.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ilovetotravel82
, Director of Rooms at Crowne Plaza Tampa Westshore, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
Dear Guest,

I sincerely apologize that you felt your stay wasn't worth your money. Our hotel is a Quality Excellence award winner from IHG which is based on guest satisfaction. I can assure you that if your room wasn't satisfactory, this was an isolated incident. We take pride in delivering excellent service and a great product. We do hope that you consider giving us another opportunity to gain your loyatly as I'm positive we can turn your experience around.

Melissa Golub

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Reserved a room for the same night with a Priceline bid. If I paid full price I would have been disappointed but at the lower price and at the last minute this hotel was fine. Check In was friendly and efficient. The only choice for a quiet room further up was a queen bed. The hotel lobby and pool area was filled with noisy kids. So when we got off the elevator on the 7th floor, we were glad to see a sign reading "Quiet zone. Children, elephants and marching bands will not be assigned to this floor. Maids service rooms after 10 am. Keep your TV volume low as well as your conversations and try not to slam doors. "The last seems an impossibility in hotels lately. Slamming doors are a given. Our corner room was clean, quiet and had a partial side view of the bay. There was no tub but a large shower. Towels were ample but scratchy. Bathroom had a granite countertop and a light up makeup mirror which took up a lot of space. The in room coffee maker had one envelope of regular and one decaf and the coffee was lousy. But they do have a Starbucks in the lobby. The room also had a working fridge. I was awakened in the middle of the night by guests down the hall who hadn't read the sign apparently. But this hotel is older and I'm not sure how well interior walls are insulated. The whosh of traffic on West Kennedy Blvd below our window wasn't bad and provided a white noise as did the air conditioning unit. Other than the whosh we really heard no outside noises. Excellent, since 275 is just beyond the building. If you're getting the impression that I'm a stickler for a quiet hotel stay, you're right. All in all, given our last minute arrangements and discounted price, this hotel is just fine.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Angie C
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. This past weekend the hotel was filled with numerous groups, all here for different reasons. Our designated quiet zone is available Sunday through Friday while Saturday is the exception.

I am pleased that you found your room accommodations to be quite pleasant with a nice view of Tampa Bay. Hopefully during your next trip we will be able to provide you with a room type that will best suit your needs.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to review your stay with us and hope to see you again.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 30 June 2012

I did enjoy the hotel & room overall, I wasn't pleased that the room wasn't ready until 5pm when check in was at 3. I was given a drink voucher for that. I feel like there was a kid camp or something (checked in on a Friday) because there were about 15 kids in the pool and only 2 adults supervising. We stayed in room right off the pool & I could hear those kids until 8pm. The ac was loud turning on & off and the toilet made noises. But the room itself was large & nicely set up. The closet door didn't open all the way because the night table blocked it and unable to move because bed was there. I would stay again if I confirmed ahead of time a large group of kids wouldn't be running around

• Stayed June 2012
Dear Guest,

I sincerely apolgize for the delay in check-in to your guest room this past Friday. We did have a very large group arriving which caused a slight delay with check-in.

Our hotel offers many room types to best accommodate our guests. We also have a designated quiet floor for our guests hoping to avoid disturbances while travelling.

We thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again.

san francisco
Reviewed 29 June 2012

From the exterior of the hotel you would think you are coming into a brand new building. Don't be fooled. This is a very old building that they did a face lift on . The lobby and public spaces on the first floor are very nice. But it stops there. When you go onto the guest halls, you realize how low and dark the ceilings are.

All of my issues seemed to be with the room and the housekeeping. The room is renovated but look closely. The rooms are not clean!!! My closet floor was soaking wet and my room smelled of mildew. The alarm clock wasn't working and was set at midnight and would go off and wake me up in my sleep. The shades were broken so they wouldn't lower. What I found most upsetting was the shabby housekeeping service. The linens could be clearly dirty yet housekeeping still just keeps them on the bed and tucks them in. the carpet was never vacuumed in the 4 nights i stayed there. There were dirty glasses from the bar I had sitting by the ice bucket and for 3 days straight the maid never took them when she cleaned. All of the surfaces in the room were very dusty and the mirrors dirty. the maid never replaced the coffee cups and coffee set up. Never cleaned the bathroom counter once cause I could tell by the same spot of toothpaste that sat there for days. Overall if your a traveler who is concerned about cleanliness than definitely don't stay here!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank ericsf
Dear Guest,

I wish to offer our sincere apologies for your unsatifactory stay. Our hotel is ranked #2 for guest service out of all Crowne Plaza's in the Nation. We take pride in ensuring our guests have a clean and friendly enviorment while staying at our property. For you to have experienced anything less than that, I am truly sorry.

We were hit hard by Tropical Storm Debby and had a few issues with the rain. We are taking the necessary measures to make sure our hotel is prepared for the remainer of the hurricane season.

In regards to our housekeeping services, I can assure you this was an isolated incident and we will be looking into this specific situation. We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback so we can improve upon our services.

Once again, I grealy apologize for your poor overall stay. I hope you are willing to give us another opportunity to prove to you why we are Nationally ranked in guest satisfaction with IHG.

NYC
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I called down asking them to send someone up...sort of looks like a big roach. It has been at least 20 minutes and no one has come up to remove it and to spray repellent or something of the sort.
I called a second time, after about 15 minutes went by. A different guy answered, said he just came on shift and that he did not receive a message from his predecessor regarding the issue.

Also, the breakfast is really bad. Dry, stale bagels. Tasteless scrambled eggs. I decided to pass on breakfast my second morning. I was a little shocked when the server told me that they use frozen waffles (which looked so limp and sad that I didn't even bother to try them). Every hotel that I've ever been to that serves waffles has a waffle iron to make them fresh. Waffle irons are not expensive and making the waffles is quite simple and quick. The servers were also difficult to find. One guest even went looking for them in the kitchen. There were no napkins or utensils on my table or near the station where the plates were.

My room on the top floor appears to be renovated and is spacious. A little strangely decorated; it looks as if furniture is missing from it.

The sink area is quite dim, which is not helpful when you are grooming yourself before going out.

Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Tampa Westshore, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Dear KNYC,

Thank you for your review and your recent stay with us. Kindly accept our sincere apology for the issues you had with cleanliness in your room and the breakfast. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. I sincerely hope that the next time you are in Tampa you will give our hotel another try.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Date of stay: June 23, 2012-1 night in Room #237
We drove from Orlando for one night since I needed one night to complete my Priority Club 2nd quarter 5000 point bonus reward offer. I had originally booked at the Intercontinental, where I stayed twice for 3 nights altogether in February (one of the rare times that I never wrote a review but will one day). I had a rate of $139, which included a $25 AMEX gift card but nothing else so basically $114 although I would have received an automatic upgrade, a fruit basket, and some bottled water because of my Platinum Ambassador status. About 3 weeks prior to my stay, I emailed Melissa Golub, who had been responding to reviews at this Crowne Plaza hotel and asked her to tell me why I should choose her hotel over the Intercontinental. On June 19, I checked the rates and saw that I could stay at the CP for $104 and receive breakfast for two so I decided to cancel my IC reservation and book at CP, even though I had received no response. The next day, she replied to my email and apologized for the delay and explained she had been on vacation. She offered me a rate slightly lower for the same package so I emailed her and told her that I had booked the day before. She responded quickly and gave me her better rate and offered me a Cabana suite. I accepted her offer. She also mentioned that I would receive one cocktail and one bottled water per person because of my Platinum status. When I arrived, she had also left a handwritten note plus her cell phone number, in case I experienced any major problems. What professional and caring service!
We arrived just after 1 pm and were warmly greeted. My Platinum status was recognized, and I received my room keys, breakfast coupons, and 2 complimentary cocktails because of my Priority status, as mentioned earlier. The water was waiting in the room with Melissa’s note. The Cabana suite rooms are in a separate 3 story area by the pool. The main hotel is about 10 stories tall although I only went to the 4th floor to get ice. This is one of my minor complaints-no ice machine in the Cabana area so you either have to go to the bar or to the machines on the 4th-10th floors. When I asked the housekeeper where the nearest machine was, she did offer to get it for me, but I said no. What over and beyond service! There were some other minor concerns-horrible music playing by the poolside even though it was raining as Tropical Storm Debbie was nearby. This could be heard very easily in the front, living room area of the cabana suite. It did go off at 9pm, and again, another great reaction by the staff, when I asked about 8 pm, they said they could turn it down, but I said, “that’s ok” since they mentioned the 9 pm turn off. One other minor issue was that when I stepped in the shower, the mold/mildew smell was overwhelming, but once the water started, it disappeared. They probably need to take the cap off and wipe or pour bleach or vinegar down the drain. Nothing major and no where near as bad as at the Holiday Inn in Sydney, Australia, two years ago when the smell lingered the whole stay. As I was leaving, it was raining and someone was sitting by the 2nd floor entrance to the elevator area and was smoking. Due to the rain, there was no was to go around him so I had to use steps, which are just partially protected from the weather when the wind is blowing. Smokers should be banned from anywhere with 25 yards (or miles) of the hotel!
The first room had a sectional sofa (leather, which was sticky to hot skin but understood for a cabana suite where people go after swimming), a chair, a table, a large screen tv with computer access (this was not free like wifi). The free wifi worked great, and they gave me an access code at check-in so only positive words there. There was also another table, a sink, and two closets, one of which has a refrigerator and a microwave. There was a short hall to the bedroom area. The bathroom was on the left and had a sink with many wonderful amenities and a rain shower. A tub may have been nice, but the shower was fantastic. The bedroom had a king sized bed plus an armoire with another tv, which was slightly smaller than the one in the living room. There was a closet with hangers. The annoying music from the pool could not be heard in the back bedroom. There was a small high window near the ceiling for exterior light but not much more. The air was controlled from the bedroom and was more easily cooled than the living room area. Separate thermostats would have been wise. One bigger negative was the lack of a safe. This should be a standard in a hotel that is used for business travelers and especially in the highest level rooms! Also, the tv channel selection needs upgrading-about 25 channels but many missing signals and many more potential ones not even offered.
The staff at the Mojito were very friendly when we went for our free cocktails. The coupon was for wine, beer, or well drink. Tanqueray was the well gin. How could you beat that? When I decided to consider booking there on June 19 as I mentioned earlier, I called the hotel directly to inquire about breakfast and parking. They had valet parking, but also free self service, and there were no issues. The nice, enthusiastic lady who answered my call on June 19 described the breakfast buffet as “extensive”. Not really sure where she got that idea. It was better than Holiday Inn Express since there were two hot meats, sausage patties and bacon, but there was no cheese, cold cuts, etc. The service was superb, but one had to ask for juices, coffee, etc. Other than the bacon and sausage, there were waffles (already made) and hot syrup plus mass produced scrambled eggs. I am not sure if it’s standard, but I did ask for and received 3 over medium eggs. This made the situation awkward since I wasn’t 100% sure if they would try to charge me for those 3 eggs even though I had asked the female server who implied that there would be no extra charge. I thought the male server may bring over a bill, but no one did so finally, I got up and just handed them my two coupons. If they had come over to get them, I would have left a tip, but due to the uncertainty and my having to make the effort, I chose not to leave anything. “Extensive” as the lady who answered the phone stated would have implied an omelet station and an offer for made to order egg dishes. I also was told on the phone that I could have either the buffet or order off the menu. I was told very abruptly by one of the male waiters/seaters that my coupon did not entitle me to the menu. There were many breads and a toaster wheel. There was some fresh fruit, but the oranges were very seedy and had lots of hard inedible sectional pieces. They also had yogurt and assorted cereals.
Checkout was smooth and quick. The statement left in my door included a request to post a review on TripAdvisor, but I most always do that anyway. That has happened to me twice, and both times I wondered if they did it because of my status and the perception that I would write a good review because of my attitude and smile. This hotel deserved a great rating so I am going to be honest even if there was a solicitation for a review!
In comparing the IC to the CP, it would depend on the rates at any given date plus my needs and travel reasons so both are top notch and will both receive my future business. To sum up, I had a great stay. I am very picky and write detailed reviews as anyone knows who has read my 100+ reviews on TripAdvisor. Holiday Inn and others should hire me to travel the world and review their hotels and restaurants anonymously! I do point out the few flaws, but I also try to point out the extras. This hotel and the IC both deserve top rankings for their service and accommodations!

Room Tip: Attain Platinum status and you will get the rewards you've earned