“Great Stay! Helpful Staff!”

Crowne Plaza Tampa Westshore
Ranked #21 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Kissimmee, Florida
“Great Stay! Helpful Staff!”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Don't be put off by the entrance. Unfortunately, this is an older building and the entrance to the hotel is dark and misleading. The interior has been completely updated and modernized. The staff as extremely helpful and our room was quiet and clean. My husband and I were in town for a Jimmy Buffet Concert but went to the zoo and the beach as well. This hotel was in a great location off the interstate and put us in the middle of all the things we wanted to do.

Room Tip: They have exterior rooms surrounding the pool area as well as the main tower. We were in the main t...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
CPTW5303, Director of Guest Relations at Crowne Plaza Tampa Westshore, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Firecracker070410,

Thank you for giving us a five star review! We are happy that you chose to utilize our hotel for your sleeping accommodations while attending the Jimmy Buffet concert. We love that we were able to enhance that weekend for you by giving helpful customer service throughout your stay! We hope to see you again soon!

tiffany.steele@crowneplazatampa.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Carmel, New York
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Stayed here for a few nights in March with some friends for a Bachelor party. For our trip purpose, this hotel worked just fine. We stayed in one of the 1BD suites off of the pool. Room was large and clean. Everything seemed like was it was recently updated. Rooms are a bit on the dark side. They definitely need a few more lamps or floor lights. Lots of dining options within a 5 minute drive. Close to airport as well. Pool area is nice as well. I would probably stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
CPTW5303, Director of Guest Relations at Crowne Plaza Tampa Westshore, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear locolos13,

We want to say thank you to you and your friends for choosing our hotel for a special celebration! We are happy that you enjoyed our large, clean and updated rooms as well as our proximity to restaurants in the Westshore area. We are most appreciative of your feedback in regards to extra lighting in the Cabana suites and we will make sure to discuss them with proper Management. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you in the future!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 1 week and enjoyed every moment! Looks good and new, rooms has space and also new, high floors has great view! The staff are helpful and pleasant. Restaraunt, very good, prices ok, but worth it! Has out door pool which is very nice. Also, close to airport, and highway. Would deffinatly visit again!

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
CPTW5303, Director of Guest Relations at Crowne Plaza Tampa Westshore, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear InsaneInTheBrain,

Thank you for such a glowing five star review of our property! Travelling to a hotel for an entire week can sometimes be exhausting so we are very happy that we were able to make your stay enjoyable with pleasant staff experiences, a great view from your room and an excellent dining option. We are very thankful for all of your wonderful comments and we look forward to your next stay!

staffs, u.k.
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Once again overnighted after flying in from U.K. Staff were great and even allocated the same room we had last time, a quiet top floor spot. Room facilities were all good. Only disappointment was leisure facilities. Pool closed for upkeep ( it happens), fitness centre very poor for hotel this size and standard.
A final word on the staff; each and every one was polite and helpful. Thank you Rachel at check in. Also bar waiter with the ponytail ( sorry can't remember your name). Also the two drivers on the airport shuttle.

Room Tip: Top floor, 11th is quiet
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear veggie-dave,

Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel after your long flight from the U.K.! We are so happy that we were able to accommodate you with the same quiet and top floor room that you had on your last visit with us. Our top priority is to make the guest as happy as possible and we appreciate you reaching out to us with your preferences before hand. We do apologize for the the closure of the pool as we were refreshing the paint as part of the makeover that we were giving to that area to maintain a vibrant modern look for our guests. Thank you for also recognizing our staff members such as Rachel, the bar waiter and the airport drivers. Our entire Front of the House team is very keen on creating a memorable experience for our guests and it is a great honor when our guests mention them individually in reviews. We hope that you had safe travels back to the U.K. and we look forward to your next visit with us!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I stayed here about a month ago with my family from England and was very pleased. The room was great ,and Jorge and Lacey went above and beyond for us the whole weekend! They were very friendly, and Lacey was very helpful, kind, and reliable whenever we called she went above and beyond for my family and I, and she even delivered housekeeping things we needed personally because of how busy you were. Both of them made are experience more memerable. Breakfast was great, and the kids loved the pool. We would return because of the customer service we were provided! We have had a lot of bad experiences at hotels in the Tampa location so glad we gave this one a chance and we will be looking forward to see Lacey and Jorge as well on the next trip with are friends!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank James J
CPTW5303, Director of Guest Relations at Crowne Plaza Tampa Westshore, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear James J,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property and for rating our hotel five stars! We are elated that we were able to brighten your experiences with Tampa area hotels and that you received the exceptional customer service that you deserve. We look forward to hosting you and your friends in the near future!

jackson, Michigan
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Reserved a room here after a late flight. Upon arrival at 1:30am, we were told that our room was given away. Reserved a room with 2 queen beds and a pull out couch. We were given a standard room and compensated with a rollaway bed. However, we had to wait over 20 minutes for them to find us another room. While waiting, I was able to witness 3 prostitutes hanging out loudly in reception area as well as drunk people wandering around. There is a popular club in the lobby therefore all the parking spots were filled and wasn't any parking. The staff assisting me was very slow to move and not very helpful or apologetic. Once the rollaway bed was finally brought up to the room, the sheets were not provided and we still had to wait for those. All in all, check in took an hour in the middle of the night when it only should have taken a few minutes. Breakfast the following morning was just so-so.

I'm sure that most people might thoroughly enjoy their stay here, I would not recommend families staying here.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank cosmo321
CPTW5303, Director of Guest Relations at Crowne Plaza Tampa Westshore, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear cosmo321,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review in regards to your concerns about your recent stay at our hotel. We are very sorry to hear about the confusion with your requested room and we are very confident that our Front Desk team did their very best to rectify the situation. It's very concerning to hear your observations in regards to the type of people you believed were in the hotel. Please understand that we do not condone that behavior as we are a very versatile hotel that plays host to a vast variety of travellers from all over the world who choose our property for family vacations, business meetings, weddings and so much more. We will make sure to relay your observations to our Management for further review as our guests concerns and safety is our top priority. Thank you again for your comments.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Let me start by saying that I did like the property. I did not have much choice but to stay here for a company function. As a smoker, I do not like to spend money at hotels that do not have smoking rooms. However, given that I had to stay there and had no choice, I must say they were very accommodating in my request to have a room which easily accessed the outside smoking areas. It was literally right around the corner from my room. It does not get much easier than that. However, I still had to walk around in public in my sweat suit and one morning it was quite cold, so I was not terribly comfortable. And, the ashtrays could use more regular emptying. Finally, as a woman travelling alone, it is not very comfortable for me to be sitting outside, alone, in the dark for any period of time in a public area ( I am an early riser). I am always on edge when someone is coming my way. I just do not want to be put in this situation regardless of how convenient it is to my room. So, I took off two stars for not having a smoking room, but gave back a star for how much they tried to accommodate me in other ways. And, I must say, their smoking areas are very nice and covered which is really nice. But, it is very public too and not private. There were always people around or passing by.

The room did have a funny odor one morning, smelled like wet dog, but later that afternoon the smell seemed to have dissipated.

The room was very comfortable and modern. The bed and chair were firm but not hard. The pillows were fluffy and not flat. The window was nice view. I did make the mistake on only putting down the sheer one night. Yes, you can see into the room with the sheer down. Behind the sheer is a blackout curtain, the pull is on the opposite side. Quite a few colleagues made the same mistake. So, just know that a blackout does exist, or else you will give everyone at the pool a free show if you only use the sheer.

The hotel bar was a great bargain, very good wines for a very inexpensive price, especially during happy hour. It was nicely stocked, large enough for many people and comfortable. They serve food there too.

The breakfast was nice, hot foods and cold foods as well as some very nice pastries. I do not know the value since it was included in my rate, but I would definitely eat there again. It was a little difficult finding a free table though.

The front desk staff was very accommodating and nice. The housekeeping staff cleaned my room nicely.

There were a few other things that I didn't like. I like to put my clothes away upon arrival. However, all of the drawers had obviously not been cleaned in a while, so there was debris, or potentially worse things in the drawers. This disappoints me as the furniture looked new but the inside of the drawers reminded me of an older hotel. I don't like "living out of a suitcase" and putting my clothes away just helps me feel more settled in. Also, the closet did not look like it had been vacuumed in a while. So, I just used the luggage rack to ensure I did not get anything on my clothes or shoes. For this, I had to take off one star for cleanliness.

Another item that is small but just to mention, the first morning I awoke, I realized there was no bath mat or hairdryer. No, it was not far back in the dark cubby as I did look (I am used to hunting items). So, it was too late for me to request one, I just air dried my hair on the way to my meeting. If someone had to have a hairdryer, this would have made them late. However, I told the front desk and they had one in my room upon return. I did not use the coffee, but I did use the coffee maker for hot water. It is obvious this had not been cleaned in a while either from the taste of the hot water. To me, these are not big deals but to others they may be.

There were plenty of plugs in the room for my devices, the Wi-Fi worked great everywhere, and I liked the radio where I could plug in my iPod and the alarm worked fine. My wake up calls always came through too.

I always had a newspaper in front of my door early in the morning and my bill was provided before checkout under my door and was correct. Again, little things that went well that some other hotels do not always get right.

Lighting was decent in the bathroom but I really liked the vanity lighted magnification mirror, an unexpected and pleasant surprise showing that they care about female travelers. The down side was most of the sink counter space was taken up by the mirror, Kleenex box and coffee machine. The good news is there is another shelf area in the tub area ( an arms reach away). So, I moved some things around regularly and it wasn't inconvenient.

I wanted to commend the staff I encountered, as they always seemed to attend to their stations. I never had to hunt for front desk people, I never had to find or flag down a bartender, they always were anticipating that I needed something and always asked if they could help me. You do not realize that this is missing sometimes until you experience good service. Here I experienced good service.

So, overall, I did like it here, so would recommend it. But, likely, next time I will choose a hotel with a smoking room simply because it's simply much more relaxing and I do not have to get fully dressed each time, I like my privacy and do not want to have to have an additional worry about my safety,

Room Tip: get one with a view of the pool - it is a nice view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear BBuffy,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Tampa Westshore. We are very happy to hear that the staff was very accommodating throughout your entire stay and were always readily available to attend to your needs. We are also glad to hear that you enjoyed the various dining outlets of the hotel from the breakfast buffet in Mezzo to the good wine and happy hour in Mojito Restaurant and Lounge. We love that we have options for our guests and they really don't need to leave our property to have an excellent dining experience! We are saddened to hear that we were docked points because of not having a smoking room but we are relieved to hear that the Front Desk helped secure you in a room that would have easy access to the outside area. Thank you again for taking the time to review our property and we look forward to you staying with us in the future!