Crowne Plaza Tampa Westshore
US$159
US$224
US$198
  • Restaurant
Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay(Tampa)
US$178
US$147
US$140
US$159
1,007 results
All reviewscabana suitemojito barfront deskclose to the airportbusiness tripwithin milesbreakfast buffetminute drivemile radiushotel shuttleshuttle serviceinternational plazastayed one nightnice poolupon checkgreat customer serviceparking lot
Reviewed 19 April 2010

Just completed a 4 night stay at this wonderful Tampa property. From the prompt complimentary shuttle to the airport to check out I was very impressed with this property. Actually my positive impression began before I even arrived in a delightful experience with the reservation process while calling the hotel directly to clarify a reservation question. As others have stated the physical building was a Clarion, I believe a number of years ago and then after a multimillion dollar renovation reopened as a Crowne Plaza. That explains the smaller lobby and lower ceilings but I personally began to appreciate the more "compact" and intimate feel that this property offers. Just a minute from room to car. All the decor is top notch and very stylish. The bedding and TV's were wonderful. Great showerhead and neat bathroom amenties. The room was absolutely soundproof. We first had a room on the 10th floors with a nice view onto Tampa Bay. We later moved to a cabana suite which was huge. Although both times the rooms above us were occupied I never once heard any foot noises nor the clanging pipes others have mentioned. Liked the free wifi. The pool area was very nice and sparkling clean. There was soft music piped in, nice towels, and complimentary use of the covered cabanas. We did try the restaurant-first for the nightly appetizer special-great Sangria!!-and then for the reasonably priced breakfast buffet. We used the business center to print boarding passes and noted that the meeting rooms/conference suites looked very nice. Also used the shuttle as mentioned from the airport and then the next day to the rental car lot-both times a very pleasant experience. Used our rental car to experience some of the Tampa attractions and gulf coast beaches. The location of the hotel is great for exploring a variety of places in the area as it offers access to the freeways in close proximity. At the end of the day was glad to return to the hotel especially after seeing the madhouse and overcrowded pools at some of the beach hotels. By far the greatest asset this hotel offers is its personnel. Without exception every employee we encountered went above and beyond- were pleasant and helpful. Great stay and highly recommended. By the way I have been sometimes called a "picky traveler" and "hotel snob" by my husband and am usually not easily impressed.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 April 2010

The hotel is located next to highway and has a very good free shuttle service to the airport. Pick up was within a few minutes and departures every 30 minutes. There is one restaurant and the food was OK. The room was just OK. The mattress needed to be replaced and the bedding was fair. The wifi was free and excellent. There is a concierge lounge on the 11th floor - BUT it was not open. I assume this was a cost savings. Check in included a coupon for a free domestic drink at the lobby bar. This hotel should be branded as Holiday Inn instead of Crowne Plaza.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank engineer64
Reviewed 30 March 2010

I am going to start out by saying I got this room for $49 on priceline so I definitely can not complain for that price. It was clean and modern. Front desk staff was very nice.

But, if I were staying using the rack rate I would have very unhappy. It is obvious this was a Ramada in for years ( over 30 years ago when I lived in Tampa ). They tried to make this place nice, but it just too old. Parking is horrible. If you have to go in back the lot is full of potholes. The rooms are that of an old hotel. The hallways are even a bit scarey they are so old. The rooms have some nice new additions. My door would not open full swing as the new tile was laid too high. The tubs were taken out and only a shower. The pipes - OMG. The water would slow and the pipes would start clanking. The pillows were nice, but did not think much of the mattresses. They did put in a new pool, but it is just an normal pool. Nothing nice. You would have thought they would have made it nice to make up for some of the old feel. I went in the business center. Two VERY old computers with only one working.

Would I stay there again for $49, yes. Would I stay there again for $100, no there are many other better options in the area.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank Manteno
Reviewed 26 March 2010

I stayed at this hotel for one night, pre-cruise. The complimentary shuttle from the airport took only a few minutes to arrive and we were settled in our room about 30 minutes after retrieving our luggage. As we had a late evening arrival, dinner in the hotel restaurant was our best option. The atmosphere was much cozier than the website photos appear. Food was excellent, service was attentive and price was reasonable. Rooms are modern with exceptionally comfortable beds. From our 10th floor window, we had a great view of Tampa Bay. The Westshore Plaza mall is a very safe five minute walk from the hotel. Good shopping for a few additional pieces of cruisewear. The front desk offers transfers to the port for $10 per person. Book these when you check in. This hotel is now my number one choice for Tampa cruises.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 March 2010

This is a unique hotel that is not easy to describe. It was once a Clarion and once a Ramada Inn. It was closed and shuttered for 2 years and re-opened last year after significant, but not complete, remodeling. The exterior is painted a solid white that looks "cheap" instead of the "fresh" and "clean" that was undoubtedly intended. Only the small front parking lot has been resurfaced. The side and back parking lots have potholes and an odd lay-out. The principal hotel is a standard multi-floor building but attached to that building are two stories of cabana-style rooms. The small outdoor pool is singularly unimpressive, although the small outdoor bar seating area hasextremely comfortable sectional couches and tables with overhead protection from the weather.

Despite the renovations, I couldn't stop seeing "old Florida low-rent motel" in this hotel.

The interior has been remodeled in cool shades of gray and light blue and decorated with modern furniture. The ceilings, however, remain VERY low. The room furnishings are quite nice and trendy. A square modern cushioned chair with pillows sits in an alcove across from a work-friendly square table. Flat-screen TV. Some of the lamps are touch lamps, which are fun. Bathroom was large and new floor and tile were nice. FREE WI-FI !!!! (No excuse for any hotel not offering that these days!)

The bed linens were very nice (Macy's Charter Club?) but the bed itself was not sufficiently supportive.

Complimentary USA Today.

Very close to airport Straight route down Kennedy St. to downtown Tampa In rush hour, about 25 minutes. Early morning, about 15 minutes.

My conference rate of $120 included complimentary breakfast buffet every morning. It was perfectly fine without being exceptional: scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits, fresh fruit compote, juice, coffee, cereal, etc. The service was excellent and friendly, both in the restaurant and at the front desk.

The surrounding neighborhood is a mix of high-end (Intercontinental Hotel about 2-3 blocks away; attractive condos; some spectacular waterfront homes; nearby Starbucks and Panera that are always crowded)) and crumbling (Westshore Plaza is a dying mall; it's highest-end store, Sak's, desperately needs a facelift but will likely close before it will spend the money). Within 5-6 blocks, there are cash-for-pawn stores, clubs with "exotic" dancers, etc. If you turn the wrong way out the hotel, you will be in for a L-O-N-G bridge ride to St. Petersburg over I-275 with NO way to turn around.

The front desk clerk warned me about the loud noises in the wallss & pipes. Also, there seems to be little insulation in the walls, so you hear everything in the nearby rooms.

I almost laughed out loud when I saw the guest "gift bag" with EAR PLUGS(!) and an eye mask to help people sleep.

Not an unpleasant experience but not a completely satisfying one, either.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business