“Lonnie Herman Tour Guide”

Ybor City Historic Walking Tours
Ranked #8 of 88 Tours in Tampa
More attraction details
Owner description: There is no better way to experience Ybor City than at streetlevel on foot. Come discover this vibrant and diverse city. Ourwalking tours explore the many layers of history that make up the fabric of Ybor City. Tours start from the Vicente Martinez-Ybor statue at Centro Ybor on Seventh Avenue. Call for current schedule.
Reviewed 26 April 2013

As a meeting planner for an annual conference I have made it a tradition to seek out a local tour guide to come to our meeting and speak for 30-45 minutes. It keeps the meeting fresh and allows those who don't get out of the hotel an opportunity to experience some local history.

Lonnie showed up on time, was very engaging, and kept everyone interested in his talk "The History of Ybor City". I highly recommend him.

All reviews
"great tour"
in 23 reviews
"two hours"
in 21 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 14 reviews
in 6 reviews
"hand rolled cigars"
"private tour"

Reviewed 24 April 2013

After having read a historic novel that was set in Ybor City (Live By Night, Dennis Lehane), combined with the great reviews here, my husband and I decided to take this tour. I was initially disappointed to discover that our tour guide was not Lonnie, as I'd read his great reviews here on TA. We got over that disappointment very quickly after we met our guide, Joe. He quickly drew us in with his warm personality and enthusiastic storytelling about old Tampa. Joe really knows his Ybor history. He even got into character throughout the tour, imitating historic figures. The history of Ybor City is colorful and interesting. We loved hearing the stories behind buildings and streets that we’ve seen so many times. It was obvious that Joe loves, and has pride in, what he does and where he lives. I didn’t want the tour to be over. I wanted to hear more great stories. We’ve recommended this tour to others – both locals and out-of-towners, and they have all told us how much they enjoyed it.

The weather was perfect when we went (March). I wouldn't advise going while the temps & humidity are high. You can easily spend an enjoyable time in Ybor City before or after the tour. There are lots of restaurants, some shops and other points of interest. Joe also does a ghost tour of Ybor City which we are now looking forward to taking later this year.

Reviewed 1 April 2013

We took Lonnie's 11:30 am tour on March 13th thanks to the Trip Advisor recommendation. Lonnie was quite engaging and very informed about the history of Ybor City. His enthusiasm was easily transferred to the 5 of us on his tour. The walking tour was easily accomplished, with opportunity for sitting or leaning at different stops. Lonnie asked whether we wanted sun or shade. Given the 4 Pennsylvanians on tour, we opted for sun! We learned so much about the city and the area in a way that still has us quoting what we learned from Lonnie. The 2 hour tour was over before we knew it. Try lunch at the bar in the Columbia Restaurant. You won't be disappointed!

Reviewed 1 April 2013

My brother (a Tampa local) treated my husband and I to this tour on our recent visit. He had been on the tour previously, and found it informative and entertaining. The morning of our tour we had the tour guide, Lonnie, to ourselves. He was friendly, engaging and knowledgeable. It was apparent that he had a wealth of information beyond what he was sharing, and my brother said that his two tours were not identical. He shared a lot of general history about Mr. Ybor who founded the city, the cigar industry, and the ties between this settlement and Cuba. He easily adapted to our questions as we toured the area.

It is not a strenuous walk. There are several places where we stopped for several minutes at a time and some stops had places to sit and listen.

Lonnie takes cash (or check), and you'll want to have a little extra for a tip--he is very good. I would highly recommend this tour, and would go on it again if I had the chance.

See more reviews
Reviewed 28 March 2013

My husdband and i had Lonnie Herman as our tour guide in Ybor City.We had heard of the tour thru Tripadvisor and felt comfortable with going.It was Fantastic! He was so enthusiastic about Ybor and he imparted that to all of us. With his "Panama" hat and his authentic looking Cuban shirt, he was perfect for the part as guide! The tour itself was easy walking, with stops every so often so those of us who were "older" could take a breather. The history of Ybor City is fascinating. We were able to go inside the Don Vicente Hotel and I'm so glad we did. It is lovely.The town was bustling and music was pouring out of some of the restaurants and bars along the street. Lonnie also recommended the Columbia restaurant and he wasn't wrong.The little film at the end of the tour was just what was needed to tie up everything. If you go make sure you have Lonnie as your guide!