“Excellent tour!”

Ybor City Historic Walking Tours
Ranked #3 of 82 Tours in Tampa
More attraction details
Owner description: There is no better way to experience Ybor City than at streetlevel on foot. Come discover this vibrant and diverse city. Ourwalking tours explore the many layers of history that make up the fabric of Ybor City. Tours start from the Vicente Martinez-Ybor statue at Centro Ybor on Seventh Avenue. Call for current schedule.
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Before I went to St. Pete for a conference, I googled what to do when we arrived in Tampa. I lived in FL for a while but never knew the complete history of Ybor City. Lonnie's tour was outstanding. The tour started at 11 at a perfect well-known location along 7th Ave. in Ybor and lasted until almost 130 where it ended at the Visitor's Center. It was only $15 per person (unless you have a Groupon which some people had, but I forgot to look up). What a great price! My mom was along with me, and she thoroughly enjoyed the tour since she had never been to Ybor before. He knows the history of this town like the back of his hand. As others have said, Lonnie stops in shady spots and also takes you inside the historic Don Vicente de Ybor Inn. He is funny, knowledgeable, personable, answers questions, makes sure you have water, and gives recommendations for food and other things to do around the area. You have to take this tour when in Tampa/Ybor. It is well worth it! I am so glad we did. I will never forget some of the facts he told us.

1  Thank Panner1995
There are newer reviews for Ybor City Historic Walking Tours

Reviewed 28 July 2014

I wanted to do something fun and unusual when visiting family in Tampa and going on this tour was the perfect way for the family to do something interesting and historical. I went to college in Tampa, but never knew the rich history of Ybor City. We were fortunate enough to have Lonnie as our guide. He really knows his stuff and is full of interesting facts and anecdotes. The tour is 2 hours and he makes sure you are hydrated and stops in shady parts of the street when possible. There is a short, historical movie at the end; be sure to take advantage of the cool shop with great trinkets. I got a book on Haunted Tampa to read and my husband got some famous hand-rolled cigars. This is as close as you'll most likely get to setting foot in Cuba! We got a Groupon online, which made this deal even sweeter.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Lonnie gave a great tour, was very knowledgeable about the area and shared wonderful stories! He knew all the best places to visit and was courteous during the entire trip.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Recently relocated, I was looking to be introduced to the culture of Tampa from a historical standpoint and was pleasantly enlightened by the Ybor City walking tour given by Lonnie Herman. His fact base story telling was informative, interesting and told with admiration and enthusiasm. I recommend this tour to anyone looking to be enriched and inspired by a group of immigrants that blended together to make a mark in history. Find out how the USS Maine played a role in this history in downtown Ybor.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Despite the heat, Ybor City walking tour guide Lonnie Herman had many cool facts to share with our group. He is informed, entertaining, and passionate about Ybor and its colorful history. If you join Lonnie, you'll find out why residents sometimes ordered 100 pounds of ice when the usual order was 50 pounds, how Cuban revolutionaries sent secret messages between Ybor and Cuba, what workforce was the most educated, and you'll even leave the United States. The only improvement to the tour would be to make the 10 minute video at the end more interesting, but at least we were sitting in an air conditioned space.

1  Thank jelkberk