“Entertaining and informative, really enjoyed the tour”

Ybor City Historic Walking Tours
Ranked #3 of 79 Tours in Tampa
More attraction details
Owner description: There is no better way to experience Ybor City than at streetlevel on foot. Come discover this vibrant and diverse city. Ourwalking tours explore the many layers of history that make up the fabric of Ybor City. Tours start from the Vicente Martinez-Ybor statue at Centro Ybor on Seventh Avenue. Call for current schedule.
Tucson, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Entertaining and informative, really enjoyed the tour”
Reviewed 23 January 2011

This tour is a great way to see Ybor City and learn about its history including funny stories about corruption, gambling and how people lived 100 yrs ago. Fascinating. Hard to believe Ybor City was originally swampland. Lonnie is a wonderful storyteller, easy to talk to. So, I echo the many other positive comments here. Suggest you bring a water bottle. Highly recommend the tour.

Morton, Illinois
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Need To Do Something After a Cruise?”
Reviewed 13 January 2011

My wife and I had several hours between the time our cruise ended and our flight time home. I had looked for options to use this time and came across this tour. Lonnie responded to my several emails within minutes. We made a reservation with no deposit being required.
We checked our luggage at the port ($7) and walked to Ybor city as opposed to taking a cab. It is an easy 20 minute walk. Ybor city has great history and certainly Lonnie has a good grasp of it. Had lunch at the Columbia and took the trolley back to the port.
I saw the note below referencing difficulty reaching Lonnie. I just suggest you use email.

Visited January 2011
Ny
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Worthwhile experience!”
Reviewed 8 January 2011

Do this tour as soon as you arrive to Tampa. It will be a great start for your trip, it will set the positive mood and you will get some great suggestions on places to eat, hangout, etc. The guide is knowleagable, he answered everybody's questions, his narration is so entertaining that I didn't feel the time pass by. I just felt drag to a different time. You can feel his passion for Ybor city, check it out!

Tampa, Florida
“A must for vistors and full time residents of Tampa!”
Reviewed 4 January 2011

I reluctantly agreed to accompany my visiting parents on a tour of ybor city. As a resident of Tampa for 20 years, and living only miles from ybor city, I felt I would be bored. To my surprise, I left the tour with a wealth of knowledge and appreciation for Tampa and it's historical importance.

Lonnie is a skilled orator who's stories and historical facts made the 90 minutes fly by. His knowledge of the city and engaging personality made it easily the highlight of my parents visit . At the same time, I have discovered many wonderful sites to return and explore in more detail.

A previous review described the tour as unprofessional and overrated. This could not be further from the truth. Not only was Lonnie professional and courteous, but the tour was an excellent value and lively entertainment!

Savannah, Georgia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“If you have only 1 day in Tampa, make this your 1st stop”
Reviewed 4 January 2011

I'm not a history buff, I don't like cigars, and I don't particularly like walking. But this guy has a way with stories that engages you from the start and makes you feel like you're really watching history unfold. Several times throughout the tour the other guests and I would look at each other and say "man this guy's good!" He wraps you in the story of how Ybor city came to be, along with the intrigue, politics and eccentric characters that have dotted it's rich history. We felt that HBO should hire this guy to spear-head their new miniseries and call it "Cigar Empire" or "Smoke 'em if you got 'em."...I'mjustsayin'